Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    123drain Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Hot water drains slow
    Many in our condo. Complex have this problem. Hot water in the kitchen sink drains much slower then cold water. The drain has a line above the trap going to a dish washer.
    Some have corrected this problem by adding a vent line. My question is "Why would hot water act different then cold water?" I was told that hot water expands the pipe causing this problem. I don't believe this.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 20, 2008, 03:49 PM
    When was your building built?
    Some have corrected this problem by adding a vent line.
    Are you saying the kitchens aren't vented? I can see no reason for the cold water to drain faster then hot.
    I was told that hot water expands the pipe causing this problem.
    If this were so the hot water would drain faster then the cold. Not that I believe for one second that a pipe that has hot water daining through it will expand enough to make a difference. Water drains by gravity and hot water will weigh as much as cold. It's a mystery to me! Any experts out there with a answer? Tom

Dec 20, 2008, 04:04 PM

Condo is new, 2006. The building is vented but the kitchen sink does not have its own separate drain.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 20, 2008, 04:09 PM
    the kitchen sink does not have its own separate drain.
    Please explain! Thanks, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 20, 2008, 04:37 PM

New building and no separate vent for kitchen sink. This doesn't sound right. Hot water should drain the same as cold, as Tom said. Can you explain how the sink is vented.

Where have the other tenants added a vent that cured the problem?

Dec 21, 2008, 07:10 AM

I meant to say the kitchen sink does not have its own separate VENT. The other condos have put a vent under the sink. I don't know if it is above or below the trap. I have a feeling it has something to do with the dish washer draining into the same line. The condo has a vent on the roof and another before the sewer.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 21, 2008, 09:39 AM
    I meant to say the kitchen sink does not have its own separate VENt.
    Where do you live that a inspector will C.O a building that doesn't vent every fixture vented? Inquiring minds want to know. Tom

Dec 21, 2008, 01:32 PM

I'm not a plumber so perhaps I'm not explaining myself correctly. This is a condominium complex of 300 units. I know for a fact that it is up to code.
    My kitchen sink and dishwasher drain in a common pipe (about 2” dia,) to the basement where it go through a trap then to a waste line (about 4” dia.). This 4” line has a vent that goes to the roof. The 4” line continues through a large trap then to the sewer.
    I'm assuming that this 4” vent is a “common” vent for all of the fixtures. Are you saying that every fixture should have its own separate vent to the roof?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 22, 2008, 06:06 PM

Other tenants have most likely added aav's. The trap should be above floor, right under kitchen sink. If the vent is below flood rim, then it does no good. Really would like for you to post as many pics of the plumbing as possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

All drains very slow. [ 1 Answers ]

My shower is in the basement and drains very very slow, and my bathroom sink in the upstairs used to drain slow but now doesn't drain at all. My downstairs sink drains just fine. We've had problems in the past but this seems to happen all the time. I can't afford to keep paying plumbers. ...

Slow drains [ 4 Answers ]

Our house is 10 years old. The drains are getting slow. This includes the bathroom sinks and the kitchen sink and disposal. The plumbing is the PVC kind. What do you recommend to clean them out? I throw ice in the disposal sometimes to clean it while it runs. This helps and I do not put any raw...

Tub drains slow [ 3 Answers ]

Just installed a new tub and surround. When taking a shower it fills up with about 8 inches of water before it will drain. It drains very slow and then when it gets to a certain level it will go out. Is this a venting problem?

Slow Drains on some drains; others are fine [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Ranch on a basement built circa 1960. The house was completely gutted (new kitchen cabinets and appliances and all new bathrooms.. . hardwood refinished upstairs and re-sealed and the downstairs basement was re-finished as well) and remodeled inside before we bought it. After living in...

Slow drains [ 1 Answers ]

You've heard this one before - drains are slow, but I've got a twist. All the drains are slow: tub, sink, toilet... I can plung and they are fine for a week or so then slow again. I don't think it's roots, plunging shouldn't make a difference if that's the case. I used chemicals, same results. I've...

View more questions Search