Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ForcedAnon Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 12:47 PM
    Switching DSL phone jacks.
    Hi, I currently have a DSL phone jack on the 2nd floor of my house and have had it there for many years. Now I want to move my DSL to a different room downstairs. I already have CAT-5 wire hooked up from the phonebox to the phone jack that I want the DSL to run through. I had both jacks hooked up at the same time (at first I didn't know you needed a splitter to do this) and only the original jack worked, the new one I set up didn't work even if the modem and router were completely disconnected from the original jack and hooked up to the new jack. I've looked at the set up many times and I am confident that I hooked up the new jack properly.

What I want to know is; to get the 2nd, new, jack to work do I have to completely disconnect the first one from the phone box, or do I have to call my ISP so they can reset the DSL, or what?(the line that is used for my DSL is a dedicated line if this helps)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 12:55 PM

Confused.

Define "Dedicated Line"

No dial tone?
    DSL only?
    Voice is available, but not used?
    What lights are lit/blinking after about 4 minutes?

Moving a DSL modem only requires the DSL modem to re-sync. Usually a light blinks for a few minutes.

Dec 20, 2008, 01:29 PM

Dedicated line as in DSL only.
    The only light that is solid is the power light, and the internet light keeps blinking on and off no matter how long I leave it alone to re-sync.
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 01:46 PM

If your using splitters, get rid of them.

Plug a phone into your old jack and see if you have dial tone. I suspect not.

Do you own a voltmeter?

Dec 20, 2008, 02:00 PM
    No, the only voltmeter I have is at the autoshop I work at. I will plug a phone in and see if I get a tone or not though.

Dec 20, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Nope. I plugged a phone into the new jack and there's no dial tone. And I tried it with a filter, and without.
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Check for dial tone at the old jack too.
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 02:23 PM
    If you used CAT 5, then usually the white/blu and blu/wht pairs are line 1.

Does the second jack have screw terminals or punch-down terminals?

Dec 20, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Both jacks have screw terminals. The first jack has the green pair of wires attached, and the second jack I have setup is using the orange pair. Do I need to use the green pair for the second jack since it's what I was using for the first?
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 04:31 PM

First. Did you get dial tone at the old location?

I'll come back to the screw terminals.

Dec 20, 2008, 04:35 PM
    No I didn't get a dial-tone at all. With or without the filter.
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 09:05 PM

OK

Dry DSL should not have a dial tone. It probably has about 5 Volts DC on the line. Not sure, but it would be nice to know including polarity.

You should be consistent. Usually I use the highest pair (Pair 4) or the brn pair for DSL.

But your using pair 3 (green), so be consistent!

Connect T3 or green with white stripe to Green at both ends.

Connect R3 or white with green stripe to Red at both ends.

The polarity may have to be right too.

DO NOT USE A SPLITTER!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewiring phone jacks [ 1 Answers ]

How can I rewire my landline phone jack?

TWO electrical phone jacks - one under the other [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: POINT # 1. I am on dial up. TWO: I have correctly rewired the wall jack as instructed on here, and still have a dial tone go my phone. However there is a jack on the baseboard, direbtly underneith the one rewired on the wall BUT it has multiple colored wires, and I still do not have...

Rewiring phone jacks [ 2 Answers ]

I read through other similar topics and couldn't find an answer. Just had the phone company out as my line was dead. Problem with wiring in the house. The pair of wires (white w/ blue mark, blue w/ white mark) that were hooked up to line one In the NIC box (red/green connectors) supposedly...

Wiring phone jacks [ 3 Answers ]

I need to rewire a phone jack back to a different number. How do I do this? Any help appreciated.

DSL and wiring phone jacks [ 1 Answers ]

I have phone svc through SBC and DSL stand alone through Qwest; was assigned a separate phone # for dsl svc and was told could not "piggyback" on same phone jack; trying to avoid paying $100 svc fee to qwest; have purchased separate jack but don't know what wires to attach where. Can anyone help?

View more questions Search