Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux View Post
    "The view that sex was an evil was prevalent in Augustine's time. Plotinus, a neo-Platonist that Augustine praises in his Confessions,[39] taught that only through disdain for fleshly desire could one reach the ultimate state of mankind.[40] Augustine, likewise, had served as a "Hearer" for the Manicheans for about nine years,[41] and they also taught that the original sin was carnal knowledge.[42]

In his pre-Pelagian writings, Augustine taught that *Original Sin was transmitted by concupiscence* (roughly, lust), making humanity a massa damnata (mass of perdition, condemned crowd) and much enfeebling, though not destroying, the freedom of the will. In the struggle against Pelagianism, the principles of Augustine's teaching were confirmed by many councils, especially the Second Council of Orange (529). Anselm of Canterbury established the definition that was followed by the great Schoolmen, namely that Original Sin is the "privation of the righteousness which every man ought to possess", thus separating it from concupiscence, with which Augustine's disciples had often defined it, as later did Luther and Calvin, who instead of seeing concupiscence, like Augustine, as a vehicle of transmission of Original Sin actually equated the two, a doctrine condemned in 1567 by Pope Pius V.[31]

Augustine's formulation of the doctrine of original sin has substantially influenced both Catholic and Reformed (that is, Calvinist) theology. His understanding of sin and grace was developed against that of Pelagius.[43] Expositions on the topics are found in his works On Original Sin, On the Predestination of the Saints, On the Gift of Perseverance and On Nature and Grace."
    ----------

So, read his pre-Pelagian writings to see that he believed Original Sin was transferred to the next generation by male ejaculation. Should be interesting!!

If the implication here is that sex between married couples is somehow evil, a misconception has been made. Augustine doesn’t say how original sin is transmitted from generation to generation in all of Pelagians, but does identify its source as beginning with the Adam and Eve’s original sin.The quoted material from Wiki doesn’t address this issue of the generation of original sin,

In Book I of Two Letters of Pelagians, Augustine refutes heretical views of the pelagians. One of those views was that intercourse of married people was evil and devised by the devil. As a consequence the newborn were born of the devil and full of sin as a result of this diabolical intercourse. He’s response is consistent with the concept of original sin.

Nay, as I say that marriage was appointed by God for the sake of the ordinance of the begetting of children, so I say that the propagation of children to be begotten could not have taken place without sexual impulse, and without intercourse of husband and wife, even in Paradise, if children were begotten there”. Chapter 10, V

And he continues… “Since, therefore, I neither say that this intercourse of husband and wife is diabolical, especially in the case of believers, which is effected for the sake of generating children who are afterwards to be regenerated; nor that any men are made by the devil, but, in so far as they are men, by God; and nevertheless that even of believing husband and wife are born guilty persons (as if a wild olive were produced from an olive), on account of original sin, and on this account they are under the devil unless they are born again [baptized] in Christ...” Chapter 11, VI

The Roman Catholic Church considers Augustine's teaching to be consistent with free will.[44] He often said that any can be saved if they wish.[44] While God knows who will be saved and who will not, with no possibility that one destined to be lost will be saved, this knowledge represents God's perfect knowledge of how humans will freely choose their destinies.[44] “ (Ibid)

JoeT
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Dec 23, 2008, 05:06 PM

1 Cor 15:22
    22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
    (KJV)

The reason that Adam died was because of his sin, and if we all died "in Adam", that amounts to original sin.

As to the reasons for suffering, it has already been stated that the reasons can be as numerous as people are.

I believe that the reasons Christians suffer even when they are not living a sinful life style are at least two.

1. As representatives of Christ in this world, the world system hates Christians.

John 17:18
    18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
    (KJV)

2. Christians are being prepared to rule on earth with Christ, and suffering is part of the training for various positions in His government.

Probably not many will agree with my #2, but it is my opinion and I'm sticking to it!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 05:31 PM
    No, the old testament says that God punishes, by expulsion from paradise, Adam and Eve for *disobeying* one of God's rules.
    It was the ONLY rule God had made, not "one of his rules."

According to the story in Genesis, God punished Adam and Eve with pain and suffering (3:19) and mercifully expelled them from the Garden ("Paradise") in order to prevent them from continuing to eat from the Tree of Life (3:22).
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 05:42 PM
    So, back to my question, "Why Must We Suffer?"
    Why shouldn't we?

:)Tra la la. How can we appreciate the sunshine if there is no rain? Tra la la.:)
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 08:09 PM

Hello, please note my question, folks, which is an accurate description of **the reasons the ***Bible*** says we must suffer**.

Stay on subject! NO off subject nit picking!!
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 08:17 PM
    So if it is Traditional (big T)
    It is still properly taught.
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 08:30 PM

Please, only people who understand the question... thanks. Original Sin is not Biblical.

Thanks.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 08:39 PM

If I have to limit myself to one of the Biblical answers you adumbrate in the OP, then I'd have to go with incomprehensibility, either that or it's the nature of things (after the nature of things was broken with the Fall). Personally, original sin makes some sense with regard to human suffering (we're broken), though neither it nor the Bible give me any peace with respect to the suffering of animals (which are without sin).
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Hello, please note my question, folks, which is an accurate description of **the reasons the ***Bible*** says we must suffer**.
    The Bible does NOT say we ****must**** suffer.
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 08:52 PM

No nitpickers. If you understand the question please answer! Others desist!

**Christian *explanations* of suffering**:

1. Prophets say suffering is a punishment for sin.

2. Book of Job-Two answers

A. Suffering is a test and will be rewarded later for passing the test.
    B. Suffering is beyond comprehension.

3. Ecclesiastes says suffering is the nature of things, and we must accept it.

4. In the apocalyptic tests in the Old and New Testaments-God will eventually make right what is wrong with the world.

These various explanations of why people must suffer illustrates that the Bible is not a single-minded text, but instead an amalgamation of various ideas.

As Christians, how do you deal with suffering in your life? Do these Biblical teachings listed above influence your approach to suffering?
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 09:26 PM
    I deal with my suffering by accepting it as best I can and by offering it up for the forgiveness of sins.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 09:31 PM

We suffer because evil rules our planet and we must learn to overcome it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 10:03 PM

Genesis 3 explains with the Adam and Eve story the beginning of sin and the reason for suffering, that man brought it upon himself by disobeying God. The question is not why there is suffering, but what is gained from suffering, i.e. considering St. John of the Cross and his "dark night of the soul," turning suffering around to benefit others, understanding the gift of suffering.
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 10:19 PM
    Wondergirl,
    I agree.
    Merry Christmas,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 10:24 PM
    Magbrob,
    I also agree with you.
    Merry Christmas,
    Fred
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 11:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob View Post
    We suffer because evil rules our planet and we must learn to overcome it.
    I would have to disagree. Love rules our planet. Unfortunately, evil has a strong foothold. But God is still in charge.
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 11:26 PM

Our wold economy is collapsing because the money changers have infiltrated every government of the world. They are stealing huge tracks of land with the help of their puppet thugs, sending the people walking to nowhere. We are being poisoned by air and by land. Giant, greedy corporations control the government with billions of dollars stifling human creativity and stealing the little guys inventions. All the while, churches preach their doctrine.
    Love may be in your heart and the hearts of many but they are working on a plan to steal even that. The scales have tipped to the evil side on this planet. The god of this world is satan.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 11:38 PM
    Our wold economy is collapsing because the money changers have infiltrated every government of the world. They are stealing huge tracks of land with the help of their puppet thugs, sending the people walking to nowhere. We are being poisoned by air and by land. Giant, greedy corporations control the government with billions of dollars stifling human creativity and stealing the little guys inventions. All the while, churches preach their doctrine.
    Love may be in your heart and the hearts of many but they are working on a plan to steal even that. The scales have tipped to the evil side on this planet. The god of this world is satan.
    And who is to blame? As Pogo said, "The enemy is us." Naming the devil as the culprit is our way of avoiding responsibility. "The devil made me do it." Yeah, right.
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 11:48 PM

We are to blame. We got too fat and stupid to from watching TV. I admit it. So kill me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 11:50 PM
    We are to blame. We got too fat and stupid to from watchin TV. I admit it. So kill me.
    Naw. It's the Spam.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Son might suffer from cleptomania [ 4 Answers ]

I am the parent of a 17 yr old boy who I think suffers from cleptomania. I has been an ongoing problem with him bringing different things home that we didn't buy for him. He was told not to bring nothing home that we have not bough, but that would not solve the problem since he gives the stuff...

Which diease my I suffer from [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir; I am suffering from one serious problem.The symptoms of this problem is listed below: 1. I really fell diffucult to wear my cloths.More the cloth I wear I fell more difficult. 2.I fell that something is moving around my neck. 3.I fell something like nerve moving in my neck...

Suffer from dry mouth [ 2 Answers ]

I am taking a medication called Metoprol OL SUC ER. I SUFFER FROM SEVERE DRY mOUTH ALTHOUGH AN ENT DOCTOR said I have plenty of saliva. My dentist says my saliva is very thick. I drink Plenty of water, spearmint tea which gives me some relief. I also suck on sugarless candy, and we have a...

Good people are those who suffer the most.why? [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend works with ten colleagues, they are all nice people but there is a particular person who in these last 5 years she hated my boyfriend for no reason, all you see in her is evil. She even reported her own colleague friends so she will look perfect to her boss. She was married for two...

I truly believe my dentist let me suffer carelessly [ 3 Answers ]

With all due respect to those in the dental field, I believe that my dentist let me suffer needlessly. I went in for some fillings everything seemed to go well, but when I went home it felll right out. Shortly after the numbing wore off I was in a kind of pain I've never felt before even when I had...

View more questions Search