Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shortblonde44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Rules regarding a deposition
    I have just been notified of a lawsuit against me. The first deposition is coming up. What are the rules about who can attend? Is this considered a "public" event? The corporation suing me has considerable enemies in the journalistic field. Would a journalist be allowed to attend/
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 20, 2008, 07:05 AM
    Typically the only people allowed to attend the deposition are you, the defense attorney, the plaintiff attorney and a court reporter. There are some cases, usually injury type cases, that the injured person is allowed to attend.

It all really comes down to what kind of case it is.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shortblonde44 View Post
    I have just been notified of a lawsuit against me. The first deposition is coming up. What are the rules about who can attend? Is this considered a "public" event? The corporation suing me has considerable enemies in the journalistic field. Would a journalist be allowed to attend/

Where are you? Depositions in my area are held in an Attorney's office, not in a public Courtroom so, no, they are not open/public events.

Usually you have - Attorneys for both sides; Plaintiff; Defendant; Court Reporter or Court Reporters; sometimes support staff to hand papers around, make copies. Usually witnesses and parties are separated, one not in the room while the other is giving testimony.

What kind of case - as J9 asked - ?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 07:53 AM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    J_9 agrees: Wow, you said what I said, but easier to understand. This was exactly how I set up depositions.?[/QUOTE]

I always forget you have a "legal" past (which is better than an "illegal" past).

I recently was in a law firm's office while a deposition was going on and both sides demanded their own Court Reporteer so there were two CR's there, sitting next to each other, both taking statements. Now I would guess someone is going to have to compare the two transcripts and see if they are identical.

I couldn't believe my eyes (and ears) and both parties are going to have to pay for their portion of both transcripts!

No one seemed to know the reason for the (basic) distrust.

Well, it keeps CRs working.
    shortblonde44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Thanks, that's all I need to know.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 09:44 AM

They can also be held at the Court Reporter's office as well. I have also scheduled depositions at the courthouse itself but in an unused office. Those were for criminal cases generally. For civil depos like yours I would venture that it would be held in the attorney's office conference room or the court reporter's office with a minimum of people in the actual depo room with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Deposition Public Record? [ 2 Answers ]

I was in on a deposition for a trial that will be heard in July. There was a court reporter present although the deposition took place in a private office, not in a court room, and the plaintiff was sworn in. It is real estate related. The plaintiff brought up and said some things that other...

Sand deposition [ 2 Answers ]

What are some causes and effects of sand deposition?

Value of a deposition? [ 3 Answers ]

In litigation for R.O. & modify exchange local. No custody changes. Have 50/50. Ex responded to OSC with false allegations(alcohol & domestic abuse). In Aug. Judge appointed minors counsel, a 50 yd R.O. for both, no drinking for both. Ex is a Cop. Ex called DCSF in June, they came in late Aug,...

Bio oil rules [ 1 Answers ]

I have read that bio oil is supposed to reduce the appearance of stretch marks. I have been out and bought a little bottle of it for £9. I have nearly finished it in 2 weeks, just by applying it twice a day. Does anyone know the rules to it... Can you apply too much? Does anyone recommend it?...

The Rules [ 1 Answers ]

More Signs Technology Took Over Your Life - You know Bill Gates' e-mail address, but you have to look up your own social security number. - You stop saying "phone number" and replace it with "voice number," since we all know the majority of phone lines in any house are plugged into...

View more questions Search