Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GothicRomance Posts: 54, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 04:51 AM
    House Mouse
    So I'm not the 'save the whales' type in general, but I really hate mouse traps. Every winter I get a few mice so I rigged up a way to trap one in an empty tall trash can but I didn't think through it very well so I didn't line the trash can. The mouse is trapped there now with a tube and a shallow dish of water along with some crackers and bread. There's no bedding or anything so he's just running around in yuck and there is two feet of snow outside so I don't want to just throw him out. I have a shredder so I have a bunch of paper shreds I can line the bottom of the trash can with, but I have to find a way to get him (her?) out so that I can do that. About how tall does something need to be to avoid him jumping out and escaping? The tube he hides in is an empty plastic tube that the little tubs of crystal lite comes in. Could I just put some holes in the lid and slap it on there while I clean out the can? What should I be feeding him until the snow melts? Should I just get a rodent cage and keep him until spring when I can put him outside or will he survive okay in the cold after the snow is gone?

Thanks.
    Joanna
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 06:48 AM

Why do you need to get him out to throw some shredded paper in for him? Mice are burrowing animals. You could put a foot of shredded paper in and put them in on top and they will crawl down under the paper anyway. I wouldn't worry about the bottom being yucky unless it is smelly or really sticky.
    You can put him in a cage but the often they can squeeze out of really small holes.
    You would think they would be okay in the cold but I don't think that is always the case. If you do let him loose I would do it in some woods where he could find trees and maybe little holes in the ground or something.
    Or maybe you will get attached to him and want to keep him.
    I had a field mouse one time and he was really cute.

They eat vegetables or you can get mice pet food at the pet store too.

Dec 20, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Thanks! That really helps. I put some paper, bread and a couple baby carrots (that okay?) in there but I haven't seen him which doesn't really surprise me. Are they nocturnal or just scared?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 09:24 AM

Yeah I would say carrots is one of the better choices.
    Also if your yard is not too snowed and froze over maybe throw some grass and leaves in as well.

Dec 21, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Well, I don't have a yard, unfortunately, and even if I did I live in CT and we just had a snow storm.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2008, 10:38 AM

A mouse cage from the pet store would be fine and you could see the mouse better, but it sounds like it has more room in the garbage can and it is probably happier without an audience. Have fun with your new pet!

Rodents are smarter than people imagine and often very social.
    Wildlife007 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jan 6, 2009, 07:26 PM

GothicRomance-this field mouse is from the Rotentia family. Which means it's main staple is seeds and grain. I really believe if you want to both supply healthy nutrients, as well as keep his continually growing teeth in check, purchase a blend for hamsters in the grocery store pet Food department-it has alfalfa, as well as corn and other seeds more suited in size and proper nutrients, for a natural diet. DO NOT USE Cedar, or Pine wood shavings for his habitat. They are known carcinogeons and will harm any Mammal-as they must use their mouths to groom-the oils find their way into their system, and usually cause cancer either in their cheek pouches or head.
    Wildlife007 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jan 6, 2009, 07:29 PM
    PS- Those teeth WILL chew right through ANY plastic.(They do chew through walls remember!) You may need a proper wire cage with a removable bottom to ease cleaning, or a glass aquairum with wire 'LOCK TIGHT" top.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 08:25 AM

Rodents as a group are not confined to eating seeds/nuts. They also eat insects and other arthropods and, as anyone who keeps mouse or rat colonies knows, each other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why all this cat and mouse? [ 4 Answers ]

:(So I met this guy about a month ago, and he had been asking me out but I was not ready to date anyone at that time. Last week, I finally accepted and we went to dinner and a movie and it was wonderful. He was very affectionate and sweet but it has now been over a week and I have not heard from...

Usb mouse [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use any usb mouse with a laptop or does it have to be a specail one?

Installing mouse w/o a mouse [ 1 Answers ]

My mouse went out on an old computer and I have tried installing new software using only keystrokes to no avail. Everything I try comes back to the same problem -- not having a mouse. I can't uninstall the old software w/o a mouse. I'm lost. Suggestions appreciated. Ed

ME-Mouse [ 1 Answers ]

I am runnig Me on my PC .but the Mouse does not work... Help.. What can I do

View more questions Search