Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    101newbie101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 02:11 AM
    First time ofender theft under $5000.
    Hello, I am 19 and live in alberta canada. Recently I was charged "by my employer" with theft under 5000 dollars, I stole 3 movies and 5 video games for a total not exceeding $450(irrelevent?), this is my first AND LAST offence.

I have come to understand quite a bit about this charge and how things will proceed henceforth but I am still horribly woried and resentful. Here are my questions:

1) I was a customer srevice / sales associate, NOT a cashier and NOT a backroom worker. Was mine a "position of trust" as I know such would increase the severity of my charge.

2) What is the likelihood of the court/crown to put me into a diversion program, known here as an "Alternative measures program"

3) Would the court/crown attack me, make an example of me or otherwise see fit to put me in jail.

p.s. this may be a repeat but the site could not find my previously submitted question
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 07:05 AM

If you were a customer what I have heard many say is that the Crown will make you take Diversions/Alternative program which is basically watching movies and listening to them talk about how much it costs a store when things are stolen. Then you go back to the Crown and show that you have taken the class(es) and pay any fines. If you keep clean for x amount of years you can go back and ask that your record be expunged or sealed.
    I am not sure if it is more serious since you were an employee in the position you were in.
    emery Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Dec 22, 2008, 08:22 AM

As per the answer above if you were a customer only then yes diversion would be the most likely result however theft from employer is viewed much harsher in Canada and the chance of the diversion program in not as great however depending on the circumstances there is always a chance. If not try and get a discharge instead which is more likely. I would think jail is highly unlikely if this is the only charge.
    ztealth Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 05:37 PM
    Expect the worst but hope for the best.
    You have to get a lawyer if you want a chance for diversion.
    Since you don't have previous record, there is still hope that you will
    Get a diversion, which will spare you from ruining your career.
    The fact that you were stealing from your employee doesn't help you as
    Supposed to shoplifting theft. Your position of trust is broken and it is
    viewed as a serious manner in Canadian courts. However, a lawyer can
    Always change the judge's mind and you might ended up being diverted after all.

+ You have no previous records

- You were in a position of trust.
    lanegan Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 02:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 101newbie101 View Post
    Hello, i am 19 and live in alberta canada. Recently i was charged "by my employer" with theft under 5000 dollars, i stole 3 movies and 5 video games for a total not exceeding $450(irrelevent?), this is my first AND LAST offence.

I have come to understand quite a bit about this charge and how things will proceed henceforth but i am still horribly woried and resentful. here are my questions:

1) I was a customer srevice / sales associate, NOT a cashier and NOT a backroom worker. was mine a "position of trust" as i know such would increase the severity of my charge.

2) What is the likelyhood of the court/crown to put me into a diversion program, known here as an "Alternative measures program"

3) Would the court/crown attack me, make an example of me or otherwise see fit to put me in jail.

p.s. this may be a repeat but the site could not find my previously submitted question
    I live in the same province and I'm in basically the same situation. I stole some dvd's from the store I worked at. They have now been returned. They were un-opened. Once I got them home, I realized I had made a terrible mistake.

I have never gotten into any kind of legal trouble before this.

My first court date is in a couple weeks and I'm very worried that I won't be diverted to the Alternative Measures Program. The loss prevention guys at the store thought this would be the likely outcome. It took a long time before I was called in to the police station to give a statement. And quite a while before the RCMP constable notified me that he would have to charge me. He said he didn't want to, but that he had been overruled by his boss since I was in that "position of trust". Maybe he made that up to make me feel better though? When the same RCMP constable served me my papers, I asked him what I should do in court and he told me to explain my situation to duty counsel. He did say he would mention in his report that the dvd's had been returned and that I had been very co-operative.

I had pretty much decided not to get a lawyer, but I'm getting more and more concerned. I can't stop worrying that my life is about to be permanently ruined. Hopefully I still have enough time to hire a lawyer. I do have savings I can use.

My mother had breast cancer when this initially occurred. It did influence my decision to take those dvd's. I wasn't myself. Because of the breast cancer and the stress my family was under at the time (it looks like she will be fine after all), I decided to keep getting fired and charged a secret from them. That has not been easy since thye are my support system.

I am so, so scared. Registering and typing this out has helped me feel better though.

I will let you know what happens to me, 101newbie101.
    ztealth Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lanegan View Post
    I live in the same province and I'm in basically the same situation. I stole some dvd's from the store I worked at. They have now been returned. They were un-opened. Once I got them home, I realized I had made a terrible mistake.

I have never gotten into any kind of legal trouble before this.

My first court date is in a couple weeks and I'm very worried that I won't be diverted to the Alternative Measures Program. The loss prevention guys at the store thought this would be the likely outcome. It took a long time before I was called in to the police station to give a statement. And quite a while before the RCMP constable notified me that he would have to charge me. He said he didn't want to, but that he had been overruled by his boss since I was in that "position of trust". Maybe he made that up to make me feel better though? When the same RCMP constable served me my papers, I asked him what I should do in court and he told me to explain my situation to duty counsel. He did say he would mention in his report that the dvd's had been returned and that I had been very co-operative.

I had pretty much decided not to get a lawyer, but I'm getting more and more concerned. I can't stop worrying that my life is about to be permanently ruined. Hopefully I still have enough time to hire a lawyer. I do have savings I can use.

My mother had breast cancer when this initially occurred. It did influence my decision to take those dvd's. I wasn't myself. Because of the breast cancer and the stress my family was under at the time (it looks like she will be fine after all), I decided to keep getting fired and charged a secret from them. That has not been easy since thye are my support system.

I am so, so scared. Registering and typing this out has helped me feel better though.

I will let you know what happens to me, 101newbie101.

Don't stress on it too much but you have to consult a lawyer as soon as possible, because you might not qualified for the diversion program.
    Like I mentioned before, a lawyer can change the judge's mind. Because you have no previous record and all the stress you are going through in your life, you might be sentenced with more leniency.If they grant you diversion, which I am guessing is likely, once you finish all their conditions , your record will be cleaned, and in a year or so, the Police will wipe off your records from their computers as well. So you will be good to find a job and resume your normal life; however, you will not get another chance if you break the law again. I can guarantee you won't be getting any jail time. If at first, you aren't granted diversion, then a lawyer could change their minds. In the worst case scenario, without diversion, you could face probation a hefty fine, and both might be on your criminal permanent record, but my guess is that it will unlikely happen. Good Luck and Stay in Touch. Remember to contact a lawyer or a legal aid. Everyone makes mistakes, just don't do it again.

Jan 10, 2009, 01:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ztealth View Post
    Don't stress on it too much but you have to consult a lawyer as soon as possible, because you might not qualified for the diversion program.
    Like I mentioned before, a lawyer can change the judge's mind. Because you have no previous record and all the stress you are going through in your life, you might be sentenced with more leniency.If they grant you diversion, which I am guessing is likely, once you finish all their conditions , your record will be cleaned, and in a year or so, the Police will wipe off your records from their computers as well. So you will be good to find a job and resume your normal life; however, you will not get another chance if you break the law again. I can guarantee you won't be getting any jail time. If at first, you aren't granted diversion, then a lawyer could change their minds. In the worst case scenario, without diversion, you could face probation a hefty fine, and both might be on your criminal permanent record, but my guess is that it will unlikely happen. Good Luck and Stay in Touch. Remember to contact a lawyer or a legal aid. Everyone makes mistakes, just don't do it again.
    You're right, I need to get a lawyer. I haven't taken this as seriously as I should have. Perhaps I've been too optimisitc.

And thank you for your kind words.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ztealth View Post

Others have posted that diversion is NOT considered or granted if it's theft from an employer.

I don't think stress caused by worrying about the crime is a factor at sentencing. That's like murdering your parents and asking for leniency because you're an orphan.

I agree that there will be no jail time.
    katgrove Posts: 12, Reputation: 0

Jan 11, 2009, 05:05 PM
    They will take into consideration that you were in a position of trust.. this is not good! Argue your case that it was under 500 dollars.. I am in a similar situation. I stole a credit card so that is even worse! I was sentenced to restitution, 12 hours community service, and 6 months unsupervised probation. So you will get a lesser sentence than mine-probably restitution and community service
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by katgrove View Post
    they will take into consideration that you were in a position of trust..this is not good! argue your case that it was under 500 dollars.. i am in a similar situation. I stole a credit card so that is even worse! I was sentenced to restitution, 12 hours community service, and 6 months unsupervised probation. so you will get a lesser sentence than mine-probably restitution and community service

From what I can read you are in the US - not in Canada. Canada is a whole different scenario.

The best hope for the OP is diversion.
    101newbie101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 08:59 PM

What are you talking about I am totally in Canada I think I would know
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2009, 05:52 AM
    what are you talking about i am totally in Canada i think i would know

Who are you addressing?

Jan 20, 2009, 09:24 AM
    1) I was a customer srevice / sales associate, NOT a cashier and NOT a backroom worker. was mine a "position of trust" as i know such would increase the severity of my charge.

2) What is the likelyhood of the court/crown to put me into a diversion program, known here as an "Alternative measures program"

I found a lawyer to represent me last week. I'm much less worried now.

Here are some answers to your questions based on my talk with my lawyer.

1) Any employee is in a position of trust.

2) My lawyer said he could pretty much guarantee that I wouldn't get diverted to the Alternative Measures program.

3) I don't they will be looking to make an example of you and you won't wind up in jail. My lawyer said he would be seeking a conditional discharge and that he thinks my chances of receiving one are very good since this is my first offence, it's a relatively minor offence, I have been very honest and co-operative, I'm remorseful and the dvd's were returned.

Jan 20, 2009, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I don't think stress caused by worrying about the crime is a factor at sentencing. That's like murdering your parents and asking for leniency because you're an orphan.
    I think he meant that the stress from my mother's breast cancer might have been acknowledged as playing a part in my behaviour.

Jan 20, 2009, 09:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Who are you addressing?
    I think he was addressing you, but that he didn't realize you were addressing katgrove.

Jan 20, 2009, 09:36 AM
    My first court appearance is next week. I'll post an update for you then, 101newbie101, and anyone else who is interested.

One thing that bothered me while reading other threads to find out what I could about my situation is that often people didn't bother to mention how things turned out for them.

Jan 20, 2009, 12:10 PM

I agree with what your lawyer has proposed will happen. I know someone in almost the same situation and that is what they received a conditional discharge. I am still a little unclear on what a conditional discharge is however I believe it is that you will have no criminal record but maybe a policy record since there has been a arrest. Is that your understanding as well and yes please do let us know what happens as this is the best way to see what happens and to get advice. Good Luck.

Feb 3, 2009, 09:15 AM

As expected, I didn't get diverted to the Alternative Measures program. I'm still waiting to hear from my lawyer whether the application for a conditional discharge was accepted by the Crown. If it isn't we will try with the judge.

Feb 3, 2009, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by emery View Post
    I agree with what your lawyer has proposed will happen. I know someone in almost the exact same situation and that is what they received a conditional discharge. I am still a little unclear on what a conditional discharge is however I believe it is that you will have no criminal record but maybe a policy record since there has been a arrest. Is that your understanding as well and yes please do let us know what happens as this is the best way to see what happens and to get advice. Good Luck.
    Yeah, from what I've heard the RCMP keeps a record of every contact they have with a person, just in case. But this is just between the citizen and them and what they know about you is available to you if the person is interested.

Feb 3, 2009, 10:04 AM

Thanks so much for keeping us posted. Good Luck with getting the conditional discharge and once again let us know what happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000. 2nd time. But 1st time since 18th [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, So basically the story goes like this: In April of 2006, I was arrested for theft under $5000 for car prowling in a neighborhood and some alleyways. I was 17 at the time. We got caught with $1500 worth of golf clubs in the back of my dads car. Needless to say, my dad was pissed....

Theft under 5000 this is my first time. [ 13 Answers ]

hello i'm 24 years old. got stealing some thinks from (bay mart store) about 100$ got arrested got fine theft under. this is my first time. i never did be4 in my life. i never go to courts or police station. but this is my first time i have to go to courts october 30 2008. i don't know wat can i...

Theft under 5000 second time [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I have got cought stealing gas yesterday about $70.00 got arrested got fine for theft under 5000, 3 years a go I got the same charge for stealing something from a store (winners) that is in canada ontario. I am wondering what I should do about this time and what kind of charges I am looking...

First time theft under $5000 [ 2 Answers ]

Today I was caught as an accomplice to theft under 5000. My friend stole 3 bottles of perfume from a department store in ontario and put them in a shopping bag of mine and then walked out. He was caught and we were both brought in. the officer said I was an accomplice even though I had not actually...

Theft under $5000. 2nd time. [ 4 Answers ]

My friend got busted for armed robbery a yr ago. He's still on probabtion. Then he stole a lady's wallet. Got busted and had to pay a fine. Now he has a court date on Friday and he's freaking out. Will he get jail time? Please any info would be great.

View more questions Search