Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdholden3 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2006, 07:57 PM
    2000 Honda Accord dash lights
    The dash lights went out on my 2000 accord LX 6 cyl coupe. I have no dashlights or radio lights. I checked all the fuses and this did not help. It is not the bulbs as the lights come on on the clock and radio when the headlights are off. Please help.
    Vandy-1 Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Jul 13, 2006, 10:23 PM
    Check the dimmer switch that controls the birghtness of the dash lights.

Jul 14, 2006, 04:16 AM
    I tried the dimmer switch but nothing happened. Anybody got any other ideas?
    Joseracer Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2006, 03:52 PM
    Im having the same problem with my 96' civic coupe. When the headlights are off, radio lights come on, and when the headlights are on, dash and panel lights don't turn on. Weird that sometimes they work and sometimes they don't when you turn on the headlights. Took it to a mechanic who changed the wires and fuse, but still went off after a couple of days, so I will have to take a look at it. Did you change the fuse? Also check the wires if there is a short, that's what Im going to do.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jul 20, 2006, 04:44 PM
    Do you both have stock honda radios?

There is another thread on this about Accord radios causing all kinds of trouble. Search for it.

Jul 21, 2006, 12:12 AM
    Yes, we do. I don't know if it's the same problem with the civic as with the accord. Will it be "fixed" if I buy an aftermarket radio?
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jul 21, 2006, 02:56 PM
    Most likely. Can you try to just unhook the radio and see if that helps?

Jul 21, 2006, 04:52 PM
    How do you take out the center console. I don't have the manual for the car.
    dmcdre Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2006, 09:35 AM
    I have the same problem with my 2000 accord lx 4door... the dash lights won't come on and the radio light goes out... I checked all my fuses and I am sure that my radio connections have nothing to do with the problem. Could it be a problem where a bulb is blown or something of that sort?

Aug 4, 2006, 09:37 AM
    The center consol has two screws on the bottom and one behind the clock. You can use a flat head screwdriver to pluck the clock out.

Aug 4, 2006, 09:42 AM
    I am certain that the radio does not have anything to do with my problem because I had an after market installed when the problem occurred.. then I installed a factory six disc in-dash changer and the problem still occurs

Aug 4, 2006, 10:25 AM
    The problem with no dash lights and radio lights on my 2000 Accord V6 was due to a faulty multiplex unit located next to the fuse panel under the dash on the driver's side. Honda has issued a recall for this. Check with your dealer or honda.com. The bad multiplex overheats the dimmer switch, knocking out the dash lights. Have replaced mine and have no more problems.

Aug 4, 2006, 11:59 PM
    How do you replace and where do you buy a multiplex?

Aug 5, 2006, 04:27 AM
    The Multiplex unit is located next to the fuse panel on the driver's side under the dash inside the door jamb. It is approximately 4" square and 1" thick. If your radio is theft protected by Honda be sure to have the code before disconnecting the battery. Disconnect the battery, unplug the wires to the fuse panel( they are size coordinated, you can not reattach them wrong), then gently pry the multiplex unit towards the door with your hands(on the side of it next to the fuse panel), then gently pull it forward past the fuse panel to access wires plugged into it on the back side. Unplug the wires, remove and replace in the reverse order. Hope this solves your problem.

The only place I have found it is through Honda. You might want to try a salvage yard. Honda sells this for $105.00
    jdavenport Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rdholden3
    The dash lights went out on my 2000 accord LX 6 cyl coupe. I have no dashlights or radio lights. I checked all the fuses and this did not help. It is not the bulbs as the lights come on on the clock and radio when the headlights are off. Please help.
    I have a similar problem and was checking to see if you had received answers to your question to see if it might help resolve mine? I recently bought a 99 honda accord EX (5spd) and the light in behind the odometer (odometer only) was not working. The guy I bought it from was not sure if he just accidentally unhooked a wire or what, also the light in behind the clock has not been lit up since I bought it. Sooo.. this past weekend, I got in the owners manual, starting looking at fuses in the drivers side, and found a fuse to the instruments and back lights, pulled that fuse out to see if it was blown and it wasn't, put same fuse back in place and ever since.. the whole gauge system doesn't light up & my back lights on rear of car do not work (brake lights and turn signals do work). So, I had a feeling the fuse may have shorted since I took it back out and it still didn't look blown.. took the car to auto-zone, had a mechanic look at fuses.. and all he could say is it is possibly an electrical problem, since the fuses are all good. Now.. before I go paying someone high dollars to check for some wires that might be shorted out, I wanted to check my resources to see if there is something I might could fix on my own, or if someone knows how to check for wire problems or possibly a bad fuse box, since my dash lights and rear lights seemed to have quit working (on driver's side only), shortly after pulling out and putting back in one fuse. Any answers helpful answers are appreciated!
    P.S. I had a 98 honda accord in the past, and no problems at all in this manner!

Also, the after-market radio has not kept its memory since I purchased the car from an individual a month or so ago. I pulled out the radio and checked the wiring as I thought I would probably find a wire to battery that may not be connected right.. then did the wrong thing (while in behind the radio), and pulled out a yellow wire that says "battery" that has a white tip with a fuse in one end.. and disconnected it from somewhere in the car, back closer to the hood. Now the radio DOES NOT WORK AT ALL. I am so frustrated when I go into a car audio store and they want $55 to try and hook ONE wire back up right! Does anyone know where this "battery" wire could have been hook up.. I could not figure out where I pulled it out from (not sure if it was hooked to the same color wire or not, but can't find another yellow wire that it could have been hooked to besides the battery wire coming from radio itself, and I am sure that is not where I pulled it out from). Also the wire appeared to have been sauttered in.. if I find where it was hooked to, can't I just use wire connectors instead of sauttering tool (which I don't have)? Thanks!
    mom24boys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 01:28 PM
    I have the same problem with the light behind my radio and behind my odometor. I called the Honda dealer and they told me that it would cost 80.00 to replace the bulbs. I think they are full of it and heard that the dealership charges 3 times the amount someone else would. Did anyone figure out what to do?

Thanks
    fryfishy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Hi,

I also have the same problem with my 99 accord.

Recently installed a after market radio.

Now, when headlights are turned on, dash lights goes totally dark. When headlights are off, dash lights are OK.

Did anyone with the problem have luck fixing the problem? Should I buy a Multiplex control Unit and give it a shot?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    maggie95 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Regarding the background light... there are 2 led that can be removed from the clock. Cost at honda dealer was @$4.95 ea. remove clock by gently prying the sides of the clock and it should pop out of the dash. Disconn wires and locate led's. Replace them with new ones. Test before re-installing clock back into dash.
    ev3ng Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 10:13 PM
    It’s probably your multiplexer. My 02 accord had the same problem caused because I installed my radio incorrectly,which actually burned a component of the multiplexer out. I can tell you for certain what my problem was because I fixed it myself. If you tried checking the fuses and can't fix it, it's probably the multiplexer. The driverside multiplexer.
    Jsavngr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ev3ng
    It’s probably your multiplexer. My 02 accord had the same problem caused because i installed my radio incorrectly,which actually burned a component of the multiplexer out. I can tell you for certain what my problem was because i fixed it myself. if you tried checking the fuses and can't fix it, it's probably the multiplexer. The driverside multiplexer.
    Hello,

I have the same problem on my 00 Accord (4cyl, EX ULEV) My problem started when I put in a DIFFERENT year hazard switch when I was changing out the clock. Apparently, clocks (and the hazard switch housing) for 98-02 Accords are different.

I have a question for ev3ng, there are TWO multiplexer for the Accord, (Driver and Passenger) How did you determine that it was the driver side one?

Thanks!

-Jae

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2003 Honda Accord Radio Lights Go Off [ 5 Answers ]

For those who have had the same problem, the radio lights go out, what is the fix for this. The fuses are all OK. Thanks for your help.

2000 Honda Accord V6 Sedan headlight change [ 5 Answers ]

Need to change the Low Beam bulb. (Side by side with the High Beam bulb) I can see that the assembly requires a counter clockwise rotation, but the limited space (driver's side) prevents me from doing so. Advice would be appreciated.

92 Honda Accord Dies at stop lights [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I Have a 92 Honda Accord Automatic that is having problems. For the last couple weeks it seems to be idleing low when you are at a stop light or stop sign like in the 500 range. Well the other day at stop it died and about 20 minutes later it started again. Well 2 days after that it did the...

Civic 2000 no dash lights and won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a similar problem in that I get no ignition light in the dash or any other lights(Air-bag, ABS and the key symbol etc) that used to come on when the key is turned to ignition, but other ignition dependent things like radio central locking work. Checked all the fuses both under the hood and...

94 Honda Accord - Dashboard Lights [ 1 Answers ]

Even though my dashboard is lit up, the gauge needles including speedometer are not. You can't see how fast you are going or even the gas tank level. What causes this?

View more questions Search