Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Confirmation is religion and I really don't see it in the Bible, I left the Lutheran church because I just don't see how the church formulas get you 'saved' I did the confirmation and baptism when I was in High school exactly the way you just said,
    Those rites do not save you. If that's what you were taught, I would have quit too.

***ADDED -- The creation of faith is exclusively God's work. It does not depend on the actions of either the infant or adult baptized. Even though baptized infants cannot articulate that faith, I believe that the Holy Spirit is very capable of installing it even in an infant.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 09:33 PM

No they didn't teach it was for salvation that is what I thought you and Joe were getting at, I left because I wanted a more Bible based Church
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 09:35 PM
    No they didn't teach it was for salvation that is what I thought you and Joe were getting at, I left because I wanted a more Bible based Church
    The Lutheran Church is VERY Bible-based.

I added this above while you were posting to my comment --

***ADDED -- The creation of faith is exclusively God's work. It does not depend on the actions of either the infant or adult baptized. Even though baptized infants cannot articulate that faith, I believe that the Holy Spirit is very capable of installing it even in an infant.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 09:39 PM

Yes I believe you can have faith as an infant because I always knew I had my faith even before I knew of God when I was even 2, But I believe the Bible teaches repent and be saved. As a child repentance is not an issue,
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 09:41 PM

So you don't believe children do anything wrong that they can be sorry for?
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 09:43 PM

The Bible says they are not at the age of accountability
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 09:43 PM
    Confirmation is religion and I really don't see it in the Bible, I left the Lutheran church because I just don't see how the church formulas get you 'saved' I did the confirmation and baptism when I was in High school exactly the way you just said,
    Confirmation:

As I understand it, Confirmation could be viewed as Church Tradition rooted in the Acts of the Apostles.

Acts 8:14 Now, when the apostles, who were in Jerusalem, had heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John. 15 Who, when they were come, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Ghost. 16 For he was not as yet come upon any of them: but they were only baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid their hands upon them: and they received the Holy Ghost.

Acts 19: 1 And it came to pass, while Apollo was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper coasts, came to Ephesus and found certain disciples. 2 And he said to them: Have you received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? But they said to him: We have not so much as heard whether there be a Holy Ghost. 3 And he said: In what then were you baptized? Who said: In John's baptism. 4 Then Paul said: John baptized the people with the baptism of penance saying: That they should believe in him, who was to come after him, that is to say, in Jesus. 5 Having heard these things, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had imposed his hands on them, the Holy Ghost came upon them: and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

JoeT
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 09:45 PM
    The Bible says they are not at the age of accountability
    Where is that?
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 10:13 PM

This is what it is
    Where do I find the age of accountability in the Bible? What happens to babies and young children when they die?

I am not following you. You said that you have seen many many people without faith get baptized yet you said that the Lutheran church is not a social club. So why would many get baptized without faith and go to church then? That is what I call a social club.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 10:35 PM
    I see nothing wrong with infant baptism, In Acts they told a whole house to be baptized, There could have been kids in that household,
    I just believe that once you are grown you should reaffirm your faith by baptism,
    Your parents baptize you when you are an infant that is THEIR faith or their motives not yours, You should reaffirm it for your own faith when you are grown,
    Babies can be baptized, but since it does not save adults, it will not save babies. It is, however, a means of dedicating a child, because the term, "baptized" also means to be identified with, and by baptizing an infant, you are identifying that child with the salvation that is in Christ, and dedicating yourself to bring up the child in the truth of scripture, and in the knowledge of the gospel. The Baby will then, in is hoped, grow up to be a m,an or woman of God who will be saved by receiving Christ as save and then desire to participate in believer's baptism as an adult.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    Those not in full communion with the Catholic Church can be reconciled, even those who once denied the Church. Those would not be possible if faith were required. Catholics hold that baptism is the remission of all sin, original and actual, as well as, the temporal punishment of sin. The second effect of baptism is to infuse a sanctifying grace “perfecting the essence of the soul… it is a certain participated likeness of the Divine Nature.”
    Then you are saying that baptism is necessary as a entrance requirement for membership in your denomination.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    Babies can be baptized, but since it does not save adults, it will not save babies. It is, however, a means of dedicating a child, because the term, "baptized" also means to be identified with, and by baptizing an infant, you are identifying that child with the salvation that is in Christ, and dedicating yourself to bring up the child in the truth of scripture, and in the knowledge of the gospel. The Baby will then, in is hoped, grow up to be a m,an or woman of God who will be saved by receiving Christ as save and then desire to participate in believer's baptism as an adult.
    Please don't limit the power of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is fully and completely capable of working faith in an infant, just as He does in an adult.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 10:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Please don't limit the power of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is fully and completely capable of working faith in an infant, just as He does in an adult.
    An infant cannot receive Christ as Saviour through the knowledge of the gospel because they are not able to understand the gospel. Further, being baptized as an infant is not their decision, therefore it is not an act of faith on the part of the infant.

This has nothing to do with limiting the ability of the Holy Spirit.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 10:44 PM
    I agree with Tj
    Nobody is limiting the Holy Spirit by believing in adult baptism. A baby can have faith but how can it choose to be baptized. Baptism is something that should be done with comprehension and decision that a baby is not capable of.

When the Bible talks more on adult baptism and has virtually nothing much to say on infant baptism I do not understand why people seem to have such a problem accepting adult baptism.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 10:48 PM
    An infant cannot receive Christ as Saviour through the knowledge of the gospel because they are not able to understand the gospel. Further, being baptized as an infant is not their decision, therefore it is not an act of faith on the part of the infant.

This has nothing to do with limiting the ability of the Holy Spirit.
    It has everything to do with the power of the Holy Spirit! You are saying He cannot work faith in an infant. He also works faith in adults, who can only say no. Human understanding comes later as the individual grows in grace and in the knowledge of the Gospel.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 10:52 PM
    It has everything to do with the power of the Holy Spirit! You are saying He cannot work faith in an infant. He also works faith in adults, who can only say no. Human understanding comes later as the individual grows in grace and in the knowledge of the Gospel.
    An adult understands what they are deciding. An infant does not. And in any case it would not matter because if indeed you were right (despite what scripture says), then you have defeated the argument about baptism because, If you are correct, then baptism has nothing to do with salvation since the baby makes no decision to be baptized, but would be given faith without baptism.

However, as I say, this becomes a moot point since the infant cannot profess their faith, therefore you do not even have that much evidence and this belief is not scriptural.

Thus it is at best a opinion or speculation, but has nothing to do with any discussion of the ability of the Holy Spirit. God speaks to us about the working of the Holy Spirit in scripture. If we go beyond scripture (contrary to what scripture itself says to do), then we are into the realm of opinion.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 11:03 PM
    If you are correct, then baptism has nothing to do with salvation since the baby makes no decision to be baptized, but would be given faith without baptism.
    Jesus said to baptize all nations. Babies are included in "all nations" since "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (NIV Rom. 3:23).

I am correct. Salvation comes through faith instilled by the Holy Spirit "Who brings me to faith and keeps me in that faith."

As I said earlier in this thread, God doesn't have a checklist handy when someone dies to make sure that individual has been baptized--or off to hell he goes.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 11:09 PM
    Jesus said to baptize all nations. Babies are included in "all nations" since "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (NIV Rom. 3:23).
    Babies are not a nation. That argument, taken to its logical conclusion would have us baptizing everyone, whether they received Christ or not because they are part of a "nation".
    I am correct. Salvation comes through faith instilled by the Holy Spirit "Who brings me to faith and keeps me in that faith."
    Where does it say in scripture that babies are saved through faith in Christ?

As I said earlier in this thread, God doesn't have a checklist handy when someone dies to make sure that individual has been baptized--or off to hell he goes.
    Agreed. That was my point. Baptism is not required for salvation.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 11:12 PM

The thing is not about WHEN they got faith. It is about being able to acknowledge that faith with an adult like reasoning that a baby does not have.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 11:13 PM
    The thing is not about WHEN they got faith. It is about being able to acknowledge that faith with an adult like reasoning that a baby does not have.
    Exactly!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why baptism [ 22 Answers ]

Fr Chuck, I have always wondered why you baptize babies. In my church we dedicate them back to God. It is basically the same thing isn't it?

Is salvation earned? [ 28 Answers ]

I was once told via an indirect, that there were Christians who expected to be saved by riding on the backs of those who heeded Jesus' instructions to preach the Gospel. I have also observed many Christians literally breaking their necks to be in good standing with God by preaching, looking down on...

Baptism! [ 49 Answers ]

I was baptised when I was a small baby. My parents automatically dedicated my life to Christianity by doing so. In short, I wasn't given a chance to think for myself. Do you think parents should wait until an offspring can think for him/herself before being baptised? ...

Baptism [ 2 Answers ]

What is a nice gift for a great granddaughters baptism?

View more questions Search