Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 07:33 PM
    2 quick questions from a military fiancé
    My first question is: What is president-elect Obama going to do with the troops once he takes office? I've heard that he's been wishy-washy about bringing them home, but I'm not sure.

My second question is: My Marine will be deployed to Iraq/more likely Afghanistan in April. I have MANY friends who are in the military. One of my friends who is in the Army, called me a couple times a week while he was in Iraq, my other friend who is a Marine, had generic emails sent to his family and that's all. So, what's up with communication during deployment? I'm pretty sure it depends on the base, and the availibilty of internet/phone lines in the area, but I'm not quite sure.

Any answers are much apprieciated!!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 20, 2008, 03:32 PM

From a Canadian point of view. We have had several Canadians killed in the last month. The last three on the same road as the other ones. We have a 'highway of heroes' here in Ontario from the Trent AFB where the bodies are brought from overseas. The last six were saluted from the overpasses as they went west to the Toronto area.

I think Obama is stuck n the middle and I think the troops are over there till 20l2. As for communication, you are asking the wrong people. Consult the military I am sure they have hot lines for these questions of military wives.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 20, 2008, 04:11 PM

Although a lot of election promises were made, it is just not possible to withdraw them very quickly. So there will be studies and plans made and then a slow withdraw that will most likely be over several years ( unless they decide not to withdraw) But this is only for Iraq, not Afgan, where the troops will remain, there was no plan to withdraw them from there that I know of.

And communication is all up to what location and even what duty they do. My son had access to internet almost daily, other troops seldom do. Many at least in some years had access to various phones depending on location.
    ingrid119 Posts: 63, Reputation: 9

Dec 20, 2008, 04:25 PM

Communication during deployment depends on the location and the job in the military. In Iraq/Afganistan it's a bit more tricky because they are war zones and some areas don't have internet or anything like that so the communication can be limited. But if your fiancé is at a base with internet access you should get the Yahoo Voice. He can call you from a computer and it's a lot cheaper than calling on cell phones. It's what my boyfriend and I did when he was stationed in Korea.
    Starbucks21 Posts: 282, Reputation: 23

Dec 29, 2008, 05:53 PM

All communication depends on job, base, nature of operation, availability and relation to the person (obviously if they have limited time for all the military personal calling the wife and kids will take priority over calling that guy you met in a bar). The military only really guarantees letting you know if your loved ones are OK every 3 weeks in some cases. So no one can really answer that especially since he's a marine and his job can change.

As far as Obama too my knowledge... he is talking about removing the infantry and the combat forces however, the emergency personal (medics, firefighters, military police, etc... ) may be left behind training the people.
    Starbucks21 Posts: 282, Reputation: 23

Dec 29, 2008, 05:54 PM
    I'm a 68w in the regular army
    13sldr Posts: 237, Reputation: 17

Dec 29, 2008, 11:57 PM

My mom just got back from afganistan and when she did get back she had mentioned that possibly over the next couple of years or so they will slow with-draw or at least reduce the number of troops that are in Iraq but as for afganistan we will not be pulling out or withdrawing, as we still have a lot to do in afganistan

Although I do not agree at all with pulling us out of the war in Iraq because we still have major problems over there which I hope President Obama will recognize and see that we need those problems taken care of before we do any type of pulling our

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Military Court house Wedding Questions [ 3 Answers ]

I joined the army as a medic and me and my fiancé are having legal problems with the military. So we pushed up the wedding to December 17th then I leave for basic a month later. He proposed to me before I joined and we were naïve. The problems we have is it's too complex to marry if I get stationed...

Quick respose my interview questions needed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi can someone help me find answer to questions below I am gong for an interview for a tellers positions on Monday help Why do you think our company should hire u? Tell me about yourself. What will you contribute to the company if we hire u . What are your hobbies. How would you handle an...

Quick List of Questions - Req. Your Feedback [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Goodman a/c unit that is about 9 yrs old. It's a 10 seer "builders quality" unit is what I'm told. Recently (two weeks ago) just had the a-coil replaced and they had to use a 13 seer model and use a converter to get it to run at 10 . Can't replace with a 10 seer since 13 is the...

View more questions Search