Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lweljwel Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2008, 05:25 PM
    No cold water in upstairs tub.
    Can't figure it out.

I did just refill the Soft water salt a week ago, don't know if that tub has worked since then, all of the others are fine (yes, I let it go empty!)...

Also, it has been SNOWING AND FREEZING in Las Vegas, but, this is the only
    Faucet affected. They say it hasn't been cold enuff for frozen pipes, Hot is fine. Two knob Moen tub faucet... 1995 variety...

It barely trickles...

The knob turns fine, 3/4 circle...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 05:33 PM

I'll bet 2 things are happening here. First your water heater has built up some debris and needs to be flushed minimum of once per year. If you are not sure how to flush just tell us and we'll help. That debris has now gone down the line and is clogging the hot inlet port for that faucet. From what you say I can't tell if it's a cartridge or valve stem, likely the latter. Shut off your main and open the hot valve to drain pressureremove the stem or cartridge and clean. Turn the main on/off quickly while some one holds a towel over the valve body to catch water and additional debris, Reinstall after greasing the cartridge with silicone jel or plumbers grease.

Dec 19, 2008, 05:55 PM

I will do what you suggest... Please
    Confirm we are talking about the "cold" water
    Not getting "through", not the "hot" water.

I can understand either, just making sure...

Most of all, I am thrilled that you are there!

Dec 20, 2008, 04:44 PM

I do aplogoize, I missed cold. Skip the water heater stuff abd start wher I said" shut off your main..."

Dec 20, 2008, 05:35 PM

Apology accepted! I think it is the
    Moen 'cartridge'... but in this case it
    Requires an extension tool... which of course
    I don't have. I'm going to request the
    Replacement cartridge from Moen, maybe they will send the "tool" also. Is there anything about the cartridge that is "repairable"?
    Could it need cleaning? Will water shoot everywhere when I finally remove the cartridge (which is beyond reach in the
    Tub location where it is)
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 20, 2008, 05:48 PM

Make sure water to whole house is off. Drain pressure a another fixture. Then remove cartridge. You may get a little water, but shoudnt be too much. Replace cartridge and hope for the best.

Most likely moen won't send the tools required, unless you ask for them specifically, and you may be charged for them. Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

Dec 21, 2008, 09:47 AM

THANK YOU! I will report back... fingers crossed! Happy Holidays to you!

Dec 21, 2008, 10:11 AM

Moen and others do make a puller but it is rarely needed. Grab the knob shaft with a plyers and apply firm pulling while giving the cartrdidge a twist, it comes out 95% of the time.

Dec 21, 2008, 10:32 AM

I am amazed at the help and advise!
    I tried with needle-nosed pliers, but
    It didn't budge... I've attached some
    Pictures which don't accurately depict
    How deep the cartridge is. It took me
    A while to determine that the"extender" was not the "cartridge". Is there any point in trying to "clean" the cartridge? I need to shut the water off to the house, right? I'll try again with the needle nosed pliers. Is there any point to "cleaning" the existing cartridge?Finding the attached drawing on the Moen website wasn't easy... the extended, vertical installation was really hidden. But it does help.
    Thanks...
    Attached Images

Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Chateau with extension YES.pdf (641.5 KB, 233 views)

Dec 21, 2008, 10:38 AM

Oh, I just realized you included "repair" info in your original message... I'll give that a try..
    Where might I find the main water control to my home? (So sorry... I really am smarter than this may seem... long story.. )
    I do have the softener unit in the garage... adjacent to the water heater.. hope it's inside the garage.. as I said, it is FREEZING in the Las Vegas valley recently... :-)

Dec 21, 2008, 11:03 AM

Stop all repairs immediately until we find and close the main. If that cartrdige came out now you'd have a catostrophic fllod on your hands. Do you know where you water metter is lcated? There is a shut off at the meter, sometimes two, one before and after the metter. Come back once it is located and closed.

Dec 23, 2008, 11:34 AM
    Good Morning! Thank you. I will go find that "shut off" valve.

Moen is sending me a replacement cartridge which should be delivered Wednesday.
    She said the tool won't work for the countersinked cartridge... she suggested
    I drill a screw into the cartridge and tug...

I'll give that a try once I have received the replacement and shut the "valve" off.

The cold is dripping a bit right now, but no indication of eminent catastrophe!

I'll keep you posted.

And, as I have said, THANK YOU!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Cold water upstairs [ 1 Answers ]

I have no cold water coming to my upstairs taps. However the showers work OK, but looking in the loft, the showers work from a different pipe. The toilets are filling, but very slowly and one of the taps will run but very slowly. The tank in the loft is full of water. How can I sort this out?

No cold water flowing to the upstairs of the house [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have no cold water flowing to the upstairs of my house, downstairs cold water is fine, if I leave the cold taps off for a period then turn them on some cold will come through but will quickly run out (1-2 minutes) is this a problem that I can fix myself ? Thanks

No COld Water in the upstairs bathrooms [ 6 Answers ]

Hio There, I have just had to change a shower cartridge as it was leaking internally and to do this had to turn off the water supply and drain the tanks. This I did OK. I have since turned on the rising main and I have cold water downstairs but none upstairs in 2 bathrooms (sink and Bath) but the...

No cold water upstairs, OK downstairs. Hot OK everywhere [ 3 Answers ]

Hi this is my first time on this board. Hello. The above title is pretty explanatory, happened in my home today. Why should this be? I have run the cold tap downstairs to see if it will run dry but it is fine. Hot OK too. Happened this morning. Thames water have no cut offs. Any takers?

View more questions Search