Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nevena Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2008, 01:17 PM
    11 year old female cat pooping outside box
    HELP!! :confused::(
    Where to start we have 4 cats 3 males aged 4-12 and 1 female 11 years old.
    For the past few months our female cat ( we thinkit is her) has been pooping
    Beside the litter box. We have 2 extra lg covered boxes and I did buy a new uncovered box but that did not work. I have heard tin foil works but our
    Eldest male cat loves tinfoil and will eat and play with it. It is not due to dirty litter because I will clean them and find a fresh gift the next moring. It is not diaharea the stool looks fine there is no blood or worms etc.
    I am going to try a new brand of litter today and was told that a feline rescue remedy in case it is stress and one of our youngest cats does torrment her but that has been going on for at least 2 years now.
    I am at my wits end please any one help
    Oh and yes they are all healthy.
    Thanks for your time
    Nevena
    kimberley1964 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2008, 03:31 PM

Are you 100% sure that she is healthy? Is she over weight? My male cat had diabetes and he was 12 and he couldn't physically get into the box anymore. If u have had them checked then there should be nothing to worry about. Maybe its not being cleaned enough because I know my other cat will not go if it isn't "up to her standards".

Dec 19, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberley1964 View Post
    Are you 100% sure that she is healthy?? Is she over weight??My male cat had diabetes and he was 12 and he couldn't physically get into the box anymore. if u have had them checked then there should be nothing to worry about. maybe its not being cleaned enough because i know my other cat will not go if it isn't "up to her standards".
    No she is not over weight if any thing a little under weight vet sd was fine though. And I tried cleanign them daily and she still poops out side the box.
    I just came back and bought the litter I used for years before hand along with some cat distress drink so I hope something helps.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 05:36 PM

Our cat sometimes goes through bouts of peeing and/or pooping outside the box. The vet says a cat this age can have feline dementia and we may have to live with the proble, or not. Currently this cat lives 24/7 in the laundry room where her damage can be minimalized.

Dec 19, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Our cat sometimes goes through bouts of peeing and/or pooping outside the box. The vet says a cat this age can have feline dementia and we may have to live with the proble, or not. Currently this cat lives 24/7 in the laundry room where her damage can be minimalized.
    See I never even thought of it being dementia I never even figured animals could get it but if they can get cancer and diabeties whynot that.
    Given her age that could be a factor. She does not pee on the floor though just poops
    How did your vet diagnos it mine never even brought it up.
    If that be the case I don't think I could lock her away she would turn ferrel she is not very social. Guess she has a bathroom maid for life.
    Thanks to every one for all the quick help
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 20, 2008, 04:39 PM

Not sure how the vet made his diagnosis, could be just her age and the newly surfacing odd behaviors. She will walk past her small bowl of water, go up stairs and try to drink from the toilet too.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 26, 2008, 06:57 AM

I would return for a recheck with the vet: have an intestinal parasite test performed with a fresh stool sample for starters. Bloodwork for a gal her age is always a good idea to have as a baseline for the future. If all is well, you may try adding yet another litter box in another part of the house in conjunction with a behavior modifying drug-like kitty Prozac-to use for a period of 4-6 months, prescribed by your vet. This drug has a great success rate and is usually not something they have to stay on the rest of their life. Check with the vet!
    AnnalynTM Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2009, 01:09 PM

There is a rare condition that happens in cats, although typically dogs (and typically dalmations). A non-scientific description is urine turnes into a crystallized-pea size obstruction that develops and can exist for many years right inside urinary tract. This is due to the animal not breaking down purines. These crystals car not particularly commen in cats, but the trick is the ONLY way what I'm describing can be detected is with an X-ray. It's not common, but my cat had it and I went about 7 years wondering why his bathroom habits were sometimes poor.

The bottom line is if it isn't medical, then it's behavioral - routine changes, scent changes, illness in one of the other pets, etc.

If she is developing arthritis, try buying desposible cookie sheets with small sides and use as a little box. You can also get disposable turkey pans and similar type potential litter boxes that have various heights. Star the new litter box with some of the old/used litter so she can identify her smell.

It is very common for a tormented cat to "act out" by not using the litter box.

It could be that living in a laundry room all day is making her even more stressed out.

Avoid food that has wheat-gluetan, corn and by-products of any kind; you just have to feed more for the animal to get the same nutrients found in a smaller serving of higher quality food. Iams and food at grocery store is not actually good for your cats.

Also with age, some cat can become more dehydrated internally making then constipated and uncomforable. You can buy a small bottle of safflour oil at your local grocery store and add a little capful to her food once a day. It's fine for the others as it also helps create and maintain a shiny, healthy coat.

Hopefully these are some suggestions you will find easy to test out if they sound relevant to your cat. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

10 year old still pooping pants [ 8 Answers ]

My daughter has started pooping her pants. She is of normal intelligence. Nothing we have tried has helped. Anyone know of any possible causes or solutions?

3 year old dog suddenly pee/pooping in the house! [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know WHAT to do about this. I've had my dog for 3 years now, ever since she was 8 weeks. I house trained her as soon as I got her, and she got the hang of it right away. She's been so good about it for the past 3 years. However, in the past 2 weeks, she's suddenly been peeing and...

4 year old dog pooping and peeing in house [ 1 Answers ]

We have a four year old husky that we adopted from a rescue sheltre when he was 1 year old and he was already housetrained. We never used to have problems with him since we were always very good about letting us know when he had to go outside. A little while ago when I came home one day I saw that...

Why is my 1 year old Boston pooping in his crate? [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I have a 1 year old male (neutered) Boston Terrier who started pooping and peeing in his cage. I take him out every couple hours, and just before bed time. He has to sleep in his crate at night because he eats anyhing and everything if not supervised. His crate is the perfect size, and he has...

20 year old male with 17 year old female in Ohio [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend who is 20 and the had sex with a 17 year old girl and her mom called the cops and supposedly filed a missing persons report but she wasn't gone for 24 hours . I called her mom and she said that the girl had admitted to them having sex and took her to the hospital and the found semen...

View more questions Search