Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChristieinCO Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2008, 11:42 AM
    No heat coming from my Maytag Performa PYE4500AYW
    I have an electric Maytag Performa, PYE4500AYW. About 5 years old.

There is no heat coming from it during loads. It's always dried very slow, usually takes two cycles to dry thoroughly but now no heat at all. Everything else seems to be working fine. We have cleaned out the vents before and discovered it vents up and out the roof and cleaned out quite a lot of lint. But still having same problems, could the hose be too long going up to the roof? Not getting enough air?

Back to the heat problem... we are guessing it needs a new heating element? Are there other causes we should look at? Would it be a fuse or the thermostat? I don't really want to pay $60 for a new heating element if something else is the cause.

Neither my husband or I have ever opened up and repaired a dryer before so we need a little coaching!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Here is a page that lists the parts for your dryer

Part Advantage :: Category Search

First in order to test anything you need a servicemans meter and know how to use it. Without that all else is guess work. It is a good possibility the electric heating element is defective. You can take your unit apart and pull the element out to see if the electric coil is broken. That you can do without a meter. All else you will need a meter for. NOTE pull plug for the dryer before working on it.
    patch3z Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Here is a page that lists the parts for your dryer

Part Advantage :: Category Search

First in order to test anything you need a servicemans meter and know how to use it. Without that all else is guess work. It is a good possibility the electric heating element is defective. You can take your unit apart and pull the element out to see if the electric coil is broken. That you can do without a meter. All else you will need a meter for. NOTE pull plug for the dryer before working on it.
    I have the same model dryer, yesterday I turned it on & it was running fine. When I returned home the clothes were still wet & the dryer would not turn on. When I turn it on I can hear the timer start ticking but the dryer does not start at all. When you say meter, are you referring to a multimeter? I have a meter, what can I check to troubleshoot? If I can fix this it would be better than replacing.

Thanks

Dec 28, 2008, 09:11 PM
    We found the problem and fixed it for only $24! Thanks for the suggestion to use the multi meter it told us the limit switch/thermostat was the problem and my husband was able to replace it in minutes! My dryer is working better than ever.

To Patch3Z I suggest testing with the multimeter as well, it saved us a lot of money!
    patch3z Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 03:27 PM
    Got it going! It ended up being a bad high limit thermal fuse. When I put an Ohm meter on it, it was open. Bought a replacement kit locally for $26.

hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 30, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Glad you got it going. Now you will have to go back to doing the washing and drying.
    subie10lega Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 07:29 AM

I have run into the problem of no heat in my PYE4500AYW, it heated a couple days ago but when I put some garments in yesterday there was no heat but the tumbler works fine. I am sure I can change any parts but I don't have a multimeter to check what's burned out - the element or other. I am going to get one today and I would like a better explanation of what I need to do to find the defective part. Can someone explain this to me? I really don't want to pay for something that doesn't need to be replaced and I certainly don't want to incur the cost of a new dryer when this one is only about 7 years old.
    Any help is very appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Mar 16, 2010, 08:37 AM
    It sounds like the same problem we had. I wouldn't worry about testing it, just go to a service center ( I think we went to a Sears service center) and buy a limit switch/thermostat. Unscrew and open the dryer, it's all the way in the back. It's been awhile but my husband thinks he had to remove the heating coil to get to the part, if that's the case just use extra caution not to break any coils. It's sounds harder then it is. Neither my husband nor I had any experience with this and it was a piece of cake. Also I would suggest cleaning out any lint (I used an attachment on my vacuum) that may have backed up in the inside of the front cover when you take it off. It sounds like we had the same problem and I think that's why ours gave out because it was working too hard. The lint backed up all inside the door and it had no air circulating through it. Good Luck!

Mar 16, 2010, 08:37 AM
    It sounds like the same problem we had. I wouldn't worry about testing it, just go to a service center ( I think we went to a Sears service center) and buy a limit switch/thermostat. Unscrew and open the dryer, it's all the way in the back. It's been awhile but my husband thinks he had to remove the heating coil to get to the part, if that's the case just use extra caution not to break any coils. It's sounds harder then it is. Neither my husband nor I had any experience with this and it was a piece of cake. Also I would suggest cleaning out any lint (I used an attachment on my vacuum) that may have backed up in the inside of the front cover when you take it off. It sounds like we had the same problem and I think that's why ours gave out because it was working too hard. The lint backed up all inside the door and it had no air circulating through it. Good Luck!

Mar 16, 2010, 08:54 AM
    Thanks Christie! I'll stop by and see if I can get the part from Sears. Did it come with instructions or was this a guessing game? I've got the manual around the house somewhere so I may have to find that.
    I've opened it up and worked on the dryer to clean out lint buildup wherever I've found it but never around or with the electrical so this will be a new experience for me.

Mar 16, 2010, 09:15 AM

No instructions, and I would call first. The main Sears didn't have it where we live we had to go to their special service location. Oh, and don't forget to unplug the dryer first! ;-)

Mar 16, 2010, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieinCO View Post
    No instructions, and I would call first. The main Sears didn't have it where we live we had to go to their special service location. oh, and don't forget to unplug the dryer first! ;-)
    Yes, shock is not the most pleasant sensation and 220V might just be the end of me. :eek:

Mar 16, 2010, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieinCO View Post
    No instructions, and I would call first. The main Sears didn't have it where we live we had to go to their special service location. oh, and don't forget to unplug the dryer first! ;-)
    Can you look at this and tell me if this is what you replaced? I just want to be sure I'm getting the correct part.

Details for Appliance Part Number 53-0771

Mar 16, 2010, 09:38 AM

Yep, that's it!

Mar 16, 2010, 09:41 AM

Thanks, I'll give them a call and try to get it replaced tonight.

Mar 16, 2010, 09:16 PM

I got the hardware, cleaned out all the lint buildup and got everything installed. All is working like new. Thanks for your help!

Mar 16, 2010, 09:38 PM

So happy to hear it! It's amazing how faster the dryer will dry now too!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag performa 35-5369 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Maytag washer that will spin only on the del. Cycle. Is it a switch problem and how do I solve it.

Maytag Performa noise [ 1 Answers ]

My one year old Maytag Performa washing machine makes the loudest racket during spin cycle. How can it be fixed?

Maytag performa refrigerator [ 3 Answers ]

I have a maytag performa model PSD264LGRW and the water line is leaking. Is there a way to turn off the water flow to the refrigerator without shutting off the main water valve? Thanks.

View more questions Search