Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2006, 08:00 AM
    Then release them back to their old neighborhood and see how long it takes them to fall back into their old life style?
    Cassie Posts: 150, Reputation: 46

Jul 18, 2006, 11:34 AM
    There are towns in Nevada that allow legal prostitution outside of their town. It has to be a certain distance from town and they do not effect the town. At least one knows where to go and men are less apt to proposition a woman on the street, therefore the women stay off the street. The women are protected from horrible things happening to them if they are in a brothel.

It is unfair to target LasVegas as an example of what would happen. Vegas is a gambling town, and that is all it is. When you have only gambling, you are going to have transits, lots of drugs, alcohol, prostitutes and just about any other evil thing you can think of. After all it is "Sin City".

I don't know that prostitution is winked at on one hand or condemned on the other. When you do something blatantly in public you are going to be more apt to suffer the consequences than if it goes on unnoticed behind closed doors. It takes time and search warrants etc. to raid an established business.

As I see it, as long as men are going to pay for it, women are always going to sell it. Whether it is legal or not, it is going to always go on. If it is legal, they would be more apt to stay in a certain area.

Whizzkid, If it is so awful in Vegas, why have you returned 5 times?:)
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Jul 18, 2006, 01:08 PM
    I have to admit, I have not read all of the answers on here, as that would take me a long time to do, but I will say, here in IL, we have a huge problem with prostitution places... They seem to pop up all of the time... They go under the name as Lingirie Parlors and Massage Parlors... but really they are places of prostitution... and EVERYONE knows it, including the police. It is wrong to allow these places to stay open in my opinion... they ruin lives... break up marriages... create addictions... ect... and most of the time the women in them are either illegal immigrants sold as sex slaves... or crack addicts feeding there addictions. Nobody working in these places chooses it as there choice career. Recently here in our city, they cracked down on like 5 Massage Parlors, and arrested and shut down all of them, finding out that most of the women working in these places were slaves from Korea sold to the owner in exchange to help them become citizens. It is not right to make these places legal, PERIOD. That is like saying... lets make rape legal... or lets make sexual assault legal.

I do however think, that just like other types of crimes... it will always be present... legal or not legal... but it should always be labeled what it is in this country... a crime. That's what it is, and a lot of men who buy this type of thing have addictions and problems... just like any other addiction. Sex is like Crack to some people. They don't care where they get it.
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Jul 18, 2006, 01:28 PM
    Comment on Cassie's post
    What happens in Vegas stays in vegas, I love it, but I would never raise a family there...

Jul 18, 2006, 01:39 PM
    Cassie and Cgirl I agree with you in some areas. However, in concern to picking on vegas, I am going to stand by that. Look vegas is a large city, and in California, vegas is about the average size around the bay area and probably down there near l.a. If prostitution was legalized here in California, there is no room outside of our towns to make a brothel or what not like you say they do in other cities. I have traveled every which way in Nevada, and really Vegas and Reno are the biggest ones and they aren't that big. You can't compare these little 5,000 pop towns that have prostitution on the other side of the tracks with all the other towns in America. Because in most metropolitians, New York, Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, San Fran, L.A. there is no room put it on the outskirts of town, it would be put inside the of the town. And that is what I fear and that is why Las Vegas is such a good example because it encase the entire town which is exactly legalizing prostitution would do to all of these big cities. It would not stay in a confined zone or for that matter in the outskirts, if you make legal people would want it close and by them, at least some would, and that's where they would start breaking the rules.

As for sex is like crack, yeah a lot of people are addicted it to it, nechrophilicas is the term I believe, probably spelt it wrong. Anyway, it is horrible that these illegal immigrants house these brothels and ONLY MORE WOULD COME once it is legalized because let's face, the number of American women being prostitutes is declining, and brothels would prefer immigrants anyway because they are cheaper and can't just quit like other american women. And I see it all the time in San Francsico, all the asian women being sold into prostitution. San Francsico is I believe, number one in the country in that regard, of the asian sex slave trade. They come all the time on boats here and you can see them anytime you go through the city. And believe me I wish that would stop also, but the numbers would only grow if prostitution is illegal. That's why I agree with tally that there needs to be other ways to help these people and get them off the street. And not only the women but the men who pay for it.

Jul 18, 2006, 01:50 PM
    Rehabilitation is a better way of getting the girls off the street... but there will probably always be prostitution unfortunately... it has been around for centuries
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jul 18, 2006, 03:03 PM
    Even if you legalized it, there would always be those street walkers and other "independants" that work outside the regulated system.

Those under-age child runaways, homeless, drug addicts, and otherwise desperate-at-the-moment types would still be out there and there would still be those that would pay them.

Jul 18, 2006, 03:32 PM
    This is an issue like drugs, some say if you were to legalize drugs it would take the big money away from the dealers, but it scares me to think of drugs being legal. I am not saying we should legalize prostitution, I was just stating a few thoughts about the NV laws. I am not sure if it were legalized there would be more or not. The same with drugs. It seems if anyone wants to find a hooker they have no problem no matter where they are.
    Where it is not legal the "slaves" can not go to the authorities. If it were legal, would they anyway? Actually, I saw more hookers on the street in some places in LA and San Francisco than I saw on the streets in Las Vegas.
    I was amazed late at night of all the guys as well as gals on the streets of San Francisco. I know being a female is different than being a male as far as being approached:) but it was so blatant in Frisco you knew what was going on.

What I mean about Las Vegas is that that is what that city is all about, entertainment of all kinds. It is almost a given that it would be so well advertised. IF (not saying I want it) it were legal in other places it would not be so out there.

These are just my thoughts, not an expert and wish all of these things that break up families were not around but unfortunately they are and it is hard to know the best way to deal with them. Some police officers turn their heads for various reasons, money, time, paperwork, burnout. I do wish I had the answers, I'd love to help.

Jul 18, 2006, 03:34 PM
    Comment on phillysteakandcheese's post
    You are so right

Jul 18, 2006, 04:44 PM
    I know what your saying and your preaching to the choir I live like 15 minutes away from San Fran, I just went their Saturday night for a pearl Jam concert. Yeah it's bad, but to be far San Fran and L.A. have A lot MORE people so it would only be logical to reason they have more hookers. I am sure that if Las Vegas got more they would be if not the same amount but more. Yeah it is given that Las Vegas tells you what you should be expecting and rightfully exploits. My question to you is what makes you think that once prostitution is legalized what would stop them from marketing it like they do in Las Vegas? And yes being a female is a lot different. When I go to vegas I can get approached around 3 times a night, every night, since I was 15. Granted I have always been tall, which gives me an older appearance, but still they do ask, and it's common for males to turn it down, hopefully they do. I think cgirl has something going on with the idea of rehabilitation. I believe that would work a lot better than legalizing it. Also philly has a point that this business will still grow due to people in need of money. Now with that said, again I will state that I am not in favor of the way we are handling it now, but I will say that legalizing it would not help at all and only worsen our problem. If there was some kind of government system that could take these prostitutes off the street and teach them a real job or skill that they could use, I bet it would guarantee. However, I have read articles before on this subject and many people's opinions on the matter, and one underlying one is that the women wouldn't want to. They wouldn't want to work at restaurant or some place like that. They might chose prostitution because they are necrophilicas, or the fact that it's easy money. I mean think about what they do and how well they get paid for like 30 minutes of service, would they want to be a fry cooker? So not only do we have to change the minds of the men wanting this, and but we need to rehabilitate and adjust the prostitutes attitude on what they are doing, and how they are treating themselves like dirt. The reason that the government has done nothing, is simple, what can they do? Look how much we talk about if you go this way this what happen, and so on and so fourth, there is no clear cut deciscion. There is no right answer, and to rehabilitate would only make the economy suffer more, and I guarantee a large part of american's don't want to pay taxes to help hookers. This is largely why I think nothing will ever be done about it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 18, 2006, 08:44 PM
    Necrophilicas-A fetish involving sex and dead bodies.

Until you try you don't know how something will turn out. Yes I do agree that no matter what some people will always chose to do that which is against the law for easy money. And men will always pay for it, as a convenient perverse way to get there rocks off. But to do nothing? You may as well legalize it and turn a blind eye or decriminalize it or throw everybody in jail and you still end up paying for it. My position is pick one and do it 100% or just leave them alone and do nothing! I think we have been half-stepping the problem anyway just like drugs and the homeless and every other problem. Just enough for show and get some politico to say I'm tough on it so re-elect me. Hey I got it! Tell them elected officials to solve the problem or get voted out. WE are paying them to work in our interest aren't we?

Jul 19, 2006, 06:28 AM
    It does seem as though our legal system just skims the top, they do enough arrests to make it look like they are doing their jobs. It seems as though they do not have a handle on any crimes. Drugs are so out of hand, prisons are overflowing. In most prisons there is little to no rehabilitation.

I feel our politicians only have their interests in mind. As long as their pockets are full and they can live the lifestyle that keeps them away from the slums and it does effect them or their families, they are content. I attended a party once where there were some powerful people there, lots of politicians. After attending that function, I realized they are afraid to pass too many tight laws, because it could very well effect them and what they do.
    So like everything else they do, they will make a big show of caring and once again really do nothing.

If our government would spend the money they waste on parties, prostitution etc on rehabilitation and education for the underpriviledged, our country could start to heal.

I am sorry I think I got off track here, but actually I am not, because as long as big government's policy is to open more prisons and no rehabilitation, it will just get worse. Prostitution is the least of the horrific crimes being made each day, I doubt they even think about it.

Jul 19, 2006, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    necrophilicas-A fetish involving sex and dead bodies.

Until you try you don't know how something will turn out. Yes I do agree that no matter what some people will always chose to do that which is against the law for easy money. And men will always pay for it, as a convenient perverse way to get there rocks off. But to do nothing?? You may as well legalize it and turn a blind eye or decriminalize it or throw everybody in jail and you still end up paying for it. My position is pick one and do it 100% or just leave em alone and do nothing! I think we have been half-stepping the problem anyway just like drugs and the homeless and every other problem. Just enough for show and get some politico to say I'm tough on it so re-elect me. Hey I got it! Tell them elected officals to solve the problem or get voted out. WE are paying them to work in our interest aren't we?
    Goodness, I always have to spread it around... You are so right, Let's all sit outside in 100+ weather and then have a discussion with the politicians. :)

Jul 19, 2006, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzkid89
    I know what your saying and your preaching to the choir I live like 15 minutes away from San Fran, I just went their Saturday night for a pearl Jam concert. Yeah it's bad, but to be far San Fran and L.A. have ALOT MORE people so it would only be logical to reason they have more hookers. I am sure that if Las Vegas got more they would be if not the same amount but more. Yeah it is given that Las Vegas tells you what you should be expecting and rightfully exploits. My question to you is what makes you think that once prostitution is legalized what would stop them from marketing it like they do in Las Vegas? And yes being a female is a lot different. When I go to vegas I can get approached around 3 times a night, every night, since I was 15. Granted I have always been tall, which gives me an older appearance, but still they do ask, and it's common for males to turn it down, hopefully they do. I think cgirl has something going on with the idea of rehabilitation. I believe that would work a lot better than legalizing it. Also philly has a point that this business will still grow due to people in need of money. Now with that said, again I will state that I am not in favor of the way we are handling it now, but I will say that legalizing it would not help at all and only worsen our problem. If there was some kind of government system that could take these prostitutes off the street and teach them a real job or skill that they could use, I bet it would guarantee. However, I have read articles before on this subject and many people's opinions on the matter, and one underlying one is that the women wouldn't want to. They wouldn't want to work at resturant or some place like that. They might chose prostitution because they are necrophilicas, or the fact that it's easy money. I mean think about what they do and how well they get paid for like 30 minutes of service, would they want to be a fry cooker? So not only do we have to change the minds of the men wanting this, and but we need to rehabilitate and adjust the prostitutes attitude on what they are doing, and how they are treating themselves like dirt. The reason that the government has done nothing, is simple, what can they do? Look how much we talk about if you go this way this what happen, and so on and so fourth, there is no clear cut deciscion. There is no right answer, and to rehabilitate would only make the economy suffer more, and I guarantee a large part of american's don't want to pay taxes to help hookers. This is largely why I think nothing will ever be done about it.
    I don't think they would stop marketing it if it were legalized. The business minded ones would stay in their area. BUT if you look really look at prostitution, one must think why is it such a big business. I think even legalized there would be those that would stand on the street corner and some men that would only want that kind. There has to be some level of excitement about picking up a hooker on the corner or many would find a more reputable place where it is legal.

Jul 19, 2006, 07:42 AM
    Comment on talaniman's post
    I totally agree!

Jul 19, 2006, 07:50 AM
    I do think too, that the movie "Pretty Woman" gave prostitution a good name, like... "become a prostitute and meet rich men that will take you away and you will live happily ever after" and I do think that there are two or maybe three types of prostitutes... 15-17 year old girls who have run away from home and think this is the only way to make money... and then get caught up in the whole business, Drug addicts (crack prostitutes), and illegal immigrants working in massage/lingerie parlors. As far as rehabilitating these people, it would have to be approached in different ways, depending on the situation. I don't think there is one simple answer, just like the war on drugs, but I do think all of this business in Iraq is clouding the minds of our polititions and making them forget where the real problems lye. This is a real sore subject for me, because I live about an hour from Chicago, and you can't even walk down the street in Chicago without being pestered by either someone looking for money or vice versa (and this is in the Loop, which is the richer areas of Chicago, Imagine how bad it is in the poorer sections.) It just saddens me that America has turned a blind eye to these people and people think the only solution is to make it legal and profit from it. Come on, people, where are our morals?
    Expert

Jul 19, 2006, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgirl
    I do think too, that the movie "Pretty Woman" gave prostitution a good name, like..."become a prostitute and meet rich men that will take you away and you will live happily ever after" and I do think that there are two or maybe three types of prostitutes...15-17 year old girls who have run away from home and think this is the only way to make money...and then get caught up in the whole business, Drug addicts (crack prostitutes), and illegal immigrants working in massage/lingerie parlors. As far as rehabilitating these people, it would have to be approached in different ways, depending on the situation. I don't think there is one simple answer, just like the war on drugs, but I do think all of this business in Iraq is clouding the minds of our polititions and making them forget where the real problems lye. This is a real sore subject for me, because I live about an hour from Chicago, and you can't even walk down the street in Chicago without being pestered by either someone looking for money or vice versa (and this is in the Loop, which is the richer areas of Chicago, Imagine how bad it is in the poorer sections.) It just saddens me that America has turned a blind eye to these people and people think the only solution is to make it legal and profit from it. Come on, people, where are our morals?
    What are your solutions, show us YOUR morals.

Jul 19, 2006, 08:46 AM
    I am not saying there is an immediate solution to the problem, I am simply stating that just laying down and letting it happen is what this country is CURRENTLY doing. I am saying that it seems that some people and polititions think money is more important then solving the problem. I know that everyone ON HERE is not that way, I didn't mean to sound condesending at all. It just burns me up the way this country has let morals flush down the toilet, greed is much more important. The rich are gettting richer and the poor are getting poorer... and maybe if that was changed, including a better educational system for ALL, then maybe there wouldn't be as much prostitution and drugs and gangs, etc. I was not trying to say anyone on here didn't have morals, I was just saying I don't think that making Prostitution legal is the solution. I guess I should choose my words more wisely. No harm intended.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 19, 2006, 04:43 PM
    The reason sex for money works is mainly because it is unlike any other sex in the world. Its similar to why Wizzkid goes to Vegas - although he is doing nothing illegal, it is a "what happens in Vegas stays is Vegas" kind of thing. Its also a bit like why there is so much sex at conventions -- paid for or otherwise - its all that "out of town" effect. It allows both participants to do things that would not occur otherwise. In one strange way its very freeing but at a huge price. Many of the providers are sexually dysfuntional and certainly often messed up. It travels well in the company of drug use. Also trading something other than money for sex has been going on all over the place for a long long time now and so hooking is often seen as just an extension of that. If you ask me how I know this, I will only say I have had more than my share of dark days. I speak in past tense with gratitude.

As long as sex in general is not well integrated into a culture, the sex-for-money appeal will continue. In the US, I have seen a culture emerge that is more comfortable with violence, prejudice, greed, crime and dishonesty than I do one comfortable with sex of any kind. This is one of those kinds of problems I like to think of as "feeder" problem - if we solved some of the bigger problems first, it would almost take care of itself since it feeds off the other ones. The two biggest ones it feeds off is the domestic violence/sexual abuse in our culture that spawns it and our high tolerance to crime in general.

We are a long way off from solving this one, in my view.
    Expert

Jul 19, 2006, 07:27 PM
    I see that though no solution has presented itself there are a lot of good ideas floating around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this legal? [ 13 Answers ]

Is it legal for me to hack another one of my own computers?

Are we legal [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I live in england my girlfriend is 16 but I'm only 15 I have been wondering if it legal for us to have sex?;)

Is this legal ? [ 10 Answers ]

I currently accepted a job where I was under the impression I was to travel out of my surrounding area.During this last holiday break I received a phone call from the human resources that my itenerary would be in the mail.When I returned from my out of town holiday visit.I indeed received an...

Is It Legal [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My daughter is buying a mobile home and land package deal. She started buying it in 2002. In 2004 she lost her job and got behind on her payments. So the mortgage co put it in foreclosure. She paid a little over 5 thousand to stop the foreclosure. Then in 2005 she had to take a different...

Is Win MX Legal? [ 4 Answers ]

Is Win MX Legal? Cos I'm from singapore and the law here is kind of strict.. want to find out... Please reply, it's much appreciated. Thank you!

View more questions Search