Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    26richards Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2008, 06:40 AM
    Math formula
    One person can do a page of problems in 10 minutes. Another person can dio the same problems in 20 minutes. If they both share the problems (ie. Not duplicating them), how fast can they complete the problems? I think the answer is 6 minutes and 40 seconds... but for the life of me (and I am 55 years old) I can't remember my junior high math.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 08:54 AM

You are correct!

In doing problem like this where you are given "time to complete" data - here in minutes per page - you need to first convert to a rate in pages per minute. So you take the inverse of minutes per page to get pages per minute. You can then add the rates together to find the rate if both people work together, Then take the inverse of that to find the time to complete (in minutes per page):

So here you have:
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 09:20 AM

One person can work at the rate of a tenth of a page per minute and the other person can work at the rate of a 20th page per minute.

How many minutes to complete one page?

X minutes (1/10 p/m + 1/20 p/m) = 1 page

Solve for X.

Then it looks just like what ebaines did above.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Math formula to work out yield [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, all help needed. I don't understand yield. Is there a mathematical formula to work out the yield of a product for example rooms in a hotel. I have 3 at £50.00, 3 at £75.00 and 3 at £100.00. Does yield tell me what I get a year, or can it be broken down by month? All answers greatly...

Math formula for Distance [ 4 Answers ]

If a person can walk 3 miles in one hour, how far from school are they if it takes 20 minutes to walk to school. I have the answer by using common sense but I need to know the formula for calculating distance as it relates to this question. Further I do not know how to break down the info given...

Math formula [ 1 Answers ]

What is the formula to find out speed in miles per hour if I have a distance in miles and a time in seconds

Math formula [ 2 Answers ]

I need to convert watts to candlepower. Any help in this formula will be a great help

Math 9 The Probability Formula [ 2 Answers ]

hi.. I neeed helpp. one ball is drawn from a bag containing 1 yellow, 2 oranges, 3 pink and 2 whitemarbles. State the probability of the folllowing colours. Write your answers in decimal form. Explain each step and how u did it please. Thanks a lot - ahmad. Desperate of help test is tomorrow I...

View more questions Search