Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homeskillet66 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Outdoor Floodlight Turns Off Automatically
    I have two different outdoor floodlights that stay on for awhile and, for some unexplainable reason, turn off. Then, out of the blue, they'll turn back on again. This all happens when it's pitch black outside, so I'm figuring it isn't related to the photosensor. Any idea why this is happening? Could it be mis-wired? Thanks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2008, 06:08 PM

Does it happen when the furnace motor is on? Random? Is furnace Carrier?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 08:39 PM

Some flood and spot lights can detect when they are overheated and they trip themselves to off for a few minutes. Can air freely circulate around these bulbs?
    homeskillet66 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2008, 09:50 AM
    I haven't noticed any relation to the furnace being off or on. I think it happens during the summer, too, when I'm sure the furnace isn't being used. I believe I have Carrier units, though. What have you heard about the Carrier?

I'm thinking the problem might be due more to overheating, mainly because it's so random and it's the same problem on a few outdoor floodlights, which are of the same variety. If that's the case, will a lower wattage bulb possibly take care of the problem?
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 10:14 AM

The AC would be on in the summer, which means the fan. I had problems with an X-10 system and a Carrier which did get solved.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 11:17 AM

KISS bring in an interesting direction, is there any remote control switch in this system?
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 01:20 PM

Triacs, the solid state switching devices can turn-on by themselves if dv/dt is too high. Harmonics from poorly designed variable frequency drives (ECM motors or Electronically Commutated motors) in HVAC systems. Employing a high cost filter at the HVAC system fixes it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Hampton Bay 52" Fan with Remote - Light automatically turns off [ 5 Answers ]

I just installed a new hampton bay fan and remote a couple weeks ago. The Light turns off automatically so I always have to turn it back on. The fan works fine. How do I fix this?

Stuck 30 watt floodlight bulb [ 4 Answers ]

I can not remove my 30 watt floodlight bulb. It and the receptable (part it screws into) both turn when I try to remove the bulb. I can not get it out and no tool can grab inside to hold any of the components. What do I do?

Light turns on & Fan turns off automatically when a remot is installed [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a Hunter remote separately and installed to my ceiling fan. Everything works good except the following problem. I turn on the fan & turn off the light before I go to sleep and in the middle of night the light goes on and fan turns off. This happens a few times until morning when I turn...

Mounting a floodlight (metal halide) [ 5 Answers ]

When I built my house 25 years ago, I put six boxes in, on various corners, under the eaves of the roof, for floodlights. Since then, I've put three quartz halogen floodlights in, two 500W in the front, and a 300W in the back. They are controlled by switches in the garage. From time to time,...

How can I make Furnace fan automatically turn off when heater turns off? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Thermo Pride OH5-85. There are two manual switches installed next to the unit. One turns on the heater one the fan. I'm unable to find out how to have the heater and fan respond to my thermostat. :confused: Currently if the manual fan switch is on and the manual heater switch is on...

View more questions Search