Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bbfondren Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2008, 02:26 PM
    Connection to Internet using router
    I just moved and switched from DSL to Cable for Internet service. I can get an internet connection directly through the modem to the computer but when I try to route through my router I can not get an internet connecvtion. Suggestions?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 10:52 PM
    I would say your router isn't configured yet/correctly! Double-check the instruction in your routers manual and make sure you followed them accordingly, I know some like D-Link and NetGEar are pickier then that of Buffalo and Linksys.Could be something as simple as this or something more serious let me know!

Rick
    theecho Posts: 59, Reputation: 9

Dec 20, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Dsl normally uses static IP while cable using uses a dynamic IP. Be sure that the router is configured for dhcp instead of static. Most of the time you can reset the router using the reset hole on the back and this will put it back to the default(dhcp) and should assist you in the troubles that you are having. Also be sure that you renew your lease after you change it to dhcp.
    mwatersjr Posts: 23, Reputation: 0

Dec 23, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Your cable modem may also be acting as its own DHCP server and firewall. In the Northwest, Comcast is a major cable Internet provider and I have seen their new modems come pre-configured like an off-the-shelf router you would by at BestBuy. If you already have a wireless router and want to use that through the cable modem, you may have to get into the cable modem's internal web interface and turn off all advanced options, making it into a "bridge". There will probably be an option to enable "bridge mode". I have had to do that to several cable modems where the customer already had a router they wanted to use to network their home computers.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Dec 31, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by theecho View Post
    dsl normally uses static IP while cable using uses a dynamic IP. Be sure that the router is configured for dhcp instead of static. Most of the time you can reset the router using the reset hole on the back and this will put it back to the default(dhcp) and should assist you in the troubles that you are having. Also be sure that you renew your lease after you change it to dhcp.
    Actually MOST home DSL installation also use DHCP. Likewise, most Commercial installations for Cable internet use Static addressing. It just depends on the class of service you get from yopur provider... usually you can't get a static IP address without paying more for it, simply because with a dynamic address, the ISP can allocate as few or as many addresses as they need to an area, and easily move them around their network.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 31, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Be sure that the router is configured for dhcp instead of static.
    This is totally wrong. In a broadband setup there is a broadband modem that connects to the carrier (whether its DSL or Cable). That modem gets a Public IP address from the carrier. Whether its static or dynamic is immaterial. The router will have a DHCP server that assigns Private IP addresses to the devices connected to it. The router then uses NAT to route packets to and from the modem.

Whether a device on the network uses a dynamic or static IP is set at the device, NOT the router. You can turn off the DHCP server on the router, but if you don't assign static IPs to the devices on the network they can't connect to the router.

Quote Originally Posted by mwatersjr View Post
    Your cable modem may also be acting as its own DHCP server and firewall. In the Northwest, Comcast is a major cable Internet provider and I have seen their new modems come pre-configured like an off-the-shelf router you would by at BestBuy.
    Some broadband providers are providing combination modem/routers for their customers. Even though they are putting the functions into one box, the functions are separate. One does NOT change the modem configuration, only the carrier can do this. But if there is a combination unit, there will be a router configuration.

Also the OP mentioned that he can connect through the modem but not the router, indicating it is a separate unit.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Rick and Chris's answers are the only valid ones so far. You really have not provided us with enough information to provide more than the advice he did. It would help to know what brand and type the router is (wired/wireless). Whether your PC is wired to the router or not and what messages you are getting when you try to connect.
    Networking Expert

Dec 31, 2008, 09:51 AM

Completely reset your router to factory default and delete all Internet Connections previosly created for your DSL connection.

Let me know!

Dec 31, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsoksirhc View Post
    Ac...usually you can't get a static IP address without paying more for it, simply due to the fact that with a dynamic address, the ISP can allocate as few or as many addresses as they need to an area, and easily move them around their network.
    I heard this morning that we will have to go to IP v6 sometime in 2009 as we are almost out of IPs under v4. Since broadband modems tend to be powered up 24/7 they have a quasi static address. And the proliferation of broadband connections is using up IPs faster than anticipated.

Dec 31, 2008, 10:01 AM

If his router has cached a static ip and it is not set for dhcp he would have to set it to dhcp then renew the lease. He has not given any information as to his new carrier or old carrier so if it were static and now needs to be dynamic this would most certainly have an impact on his service.

Dec 31, 2008, 12:51 PM
    if his router has cached a static ip and it is not set for dhcp he would have to set it to dhcp then renew the lease. he has not given any information as to his new carrier or old carrier so if it were static and now needs to be dynamic this would most certainly have an impact on his service.
    If his router has cached an IP for the WAN, its possible that needs to be reset. But that has nothing to do with the DHCP server built into the router. The DHCP server built into the router is used to assign private address to devices on his LAN it has no control over the IP assigned to the modem.

The vast majority of people do not hardcode the WAN IP into their router. I do agree however, that we have not gotten sufficient info from the OP. But giving him incorrect information is not going to help.

Dec 31, 2008, 01:06 PM
    When you run the setup of a router it asks for the type of connection that you are running aka the ip from the WAN. If he had set it for a static WAN and is using a dynamic WAN then it would be configured for static and not for dhcp. I am referring to the WAN DHCP not the local DHCP.

Dec 31, 2008, 01:58 PM

I just checked the config for my Linksys WRT300N. To change what they call the Internet IP (the address of my modem) is buried pretty deeply. Its not something the average person would do. If they did do it, its likely they would know how to fix it.

You have given adivce in this thread that is technically incorrect. You have modified the advice to try and cover that up without admitting you were wrong. Please drop it and stop trying to justify your incorrect advice.
    Networking Expert

Dec 31, 2008, 05:01 PM
    It sounds to me like we have a lot of answers being thrown out there and everyone seems to disagree. What we need is the OP to break down the schematics so we can ALL have a better feeling for wHAT is going on here!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cannot access to internet but the internet connection is good [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a problem, and I have no clue about it. I have a wireless internet connection and I don't know what happened but I can not access to the internet. The wireless connection is fine, there is the green icon saying that the signal is perfect, but when I open the internet...

Intermitent internet connection over router [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, this is an ongoing problem I have had and I'm all out of ideas I use a Netgear router, with two XP Computers hardwired via Ethernet. My internet provider is Tiscali and for just over a month now I have been losing my internet connection, but the router stays connected, MSN messenger...

Unable to connect to internet with new broad band connection and router [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have just signed up to the latest AOL deal that gives a free Dell laptop and Netgear router. I am really struggling I tried to use the disk to set up the connection and it failed. Following instructions and changing passwords and screen name AOL said it must be the line. Following a line...

My router causes my internet connection to fail [ 4 Answers ]

I've got a linksys wireless 2.4ghz router and all of the sudden it is causing my internet connection to fail. When I disconnect the router my dsl/cable internet on my PC works fine. Any ideas why?

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

View more questions Search