Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    handoferebus Posts: 38, Reputation: 4

Dec 18, 2008, 01:26 AM
    Have done poorly in college. Feel lost
    Hey guys, I fear this could get long. From the beginning: I graduated high school in 2004. I did quite poorly, and barely graduated... I was so preoccupied with other things in my life that I found myself too distracted to pay attention to school, and my high school education suffered because of poor decisions.

Right after high school, I went into a community college. I was there until the end of 2005, and had taken about 12 classes. My avg. GPA for those classes was around a 2.0. I realized that things in my life needed to change, and I needed to change. I decided to move away from home at the beginning of 2006, and started going to a new community college, about 4 hours from where I was living. I had great motivation around me, and I started doing well the first semester at my new JC. However, it is now 2008, and My avg. GPA at this JC after about another 12-14 classes is roughly 2.3. I don't know why I have such a hard time focusing on school, and keeping my motivation. I will have to take quite a few classes over, and some I can't repeat.

My desired degree is computer science, which I have a definite interest in, however I'm feeling as though I've put myself in an impossible situation to ever get into a university and get a degree. I'm currently working at a great company based on the experience I have. I'm 22, making about 50k a year as a user support/system admin for a large company, and there's definitely growth potential there.

With that said, however, I feel as though I will never get to where I want without finishing a degree. I also feel as though I need to remove the distractions from my life, and gain some motivation to follow through with obtaining a degree (distractions like World of Warcraft, material things, etc). I think the only way I would be able to do this is to leave my job (which entails leaving a good, steady pay, amazing benefits, future growth, experience) and go full time school with student loans, or whatever free money I can get from the government. I am extremely afraid of this, however, as I know how I've been in the past, and with the current grades and track record that I have. I fear that I won't be able to get into any universities to actually get my bachelors even if I put the needed time and effort, and get great grades from here on out, and if I can't/unable to finish a degree with loans now under my name, I'll have set myself back quite a few years from my career and put myself in debt.

I've been struggling with this for a few months now, and I just don't know what I can do. Any words of wisdom would be amazing right now. Thanks guys!
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 01:55 AM

NO way do you leave a good job, paying that much, at the age of 22 and think you are going to have a 'try' at a schooling/degree when your past history is so questionable.

I think you are setting yourself up for a great disappointment if you do.

Why invent some kind of chaotic incentive like quitting,just to go where you struggled and all but failed in the past.

So you have to quit messing with life's little playthings.Get a different hobby,find new interests,Go jogging instead of paying games.

When you grow up and start living life you will see this as the best advice you could ever get.

Put yourself in someone else's shoes and look at the words you wrote.Make it your best friend who wrote this and what would you tell him if he thought this.

I doubt anyone will come up with a different picture than this, but this is my opinion,take it or leave it.

Hope this helped you figure it out(some)

KBC

Dec 18, 2008, 02:06 AM

I definitely see your point. I'm conflicted because I like my job a lot, I do well in it, and it's treated me well so far.

On the flip side, I have a feeling that without a degree, I'm setting myself up for failure to progress in my career. I have aspirations to be an IT manager, or IT director... but without a degree, plus most likely an MBA, I don't see that dream becoming a reality.

The last two paragraphs conflict greatly. Staying where I'm working, and not going to school, and progressing for a few years, then going back to school is another option. However, as I'm sure you know, it's impossible to predict where I'll be in a few years. Also, my work pays for my college education, up to an MBA. I've been doing part time school, however I've been doing poorly. I'm starting to feel like I'm the type of person who doesn't handle large multi tasking like this, and I need to go one extreme or the other.

Dec 18, 2008, 02:09 AM

Oh, and I've been focusing less on games and relationships, and more on things to better myself, like going to the gym, reading, audiobooks, etc. I feel it's definitely doing me good, but it doesn't resolve the school/work situation that I've put myself in.
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 07:13 AM

I am going to just add a word and this thread will continue to circulate today,hopefully others will see and add to it!

KBC

Dec 18, 2008, 10:49 AM

Thanks KBC :) It's been hard on my conscience, for the last few weeks especially. I don't know what I'm looking for as far as advice, but any wisdom is great.
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 02:39 PM

If you look real hard at the job market for your field it might tell you something about what to do.

Meaning,what kind of better job would be available once you have the degree.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 02:46 PM

Your problem is distractions, not the work, you need to quit some of them, and set specific times for study.

So are "things" and "games" more important than your future. It is a matter of goals.

Next so you have a 2.3 grade point average, arre you passing, you know I was never once asked my grade point average after I graduated college, not one company ever asked.

I am sure a few do but it is that you finish, not if you finish in the top 10.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 02:55 PM

Do you know what they call someone who graduated medical school with a C average? Doctor. Finish school don't worry too much about your GPA and DO NOT QUIT THAT JOB!!

Dec 18, 2008, 03:33 PM

The distractions definitely used to be more important, because I had more motivation to do things other than school. I'm feel as though I'm more motivated to get through school, and get my degree. My big worry is not being able to get into a university with my GPA and track record... So I'll get my AA, be in a position to transfer to a university to get my Bachelors, but not get into any schools... I only have one school in my Area, Cal Poly SLO, and it's a TOUGH school to get into. The Average transfer GPA is 3.5+.

So even if I go through, finish my AA, and have a 2.5gpa, I'll have to leave my job and move to another area to finish my Bachelors at a school that accepts me. I've been able to put my distractions aside, but now I'm faced with the issue that I've currently stated.

I definitely need to look at the job field that I'm in, IT, and find out where I want to be, how long it will take to get there, and figure out when I need my degree. It's still screwing with my mind, though. When I apply myself to school, I do extremely well. When I was taking classes with my ex girlfriend together, I was getting straight A's, because I was focusing on it so much.
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 03:44 PM

Are you easily distracted?

Dec 18, 2008, 03:50 PM

In all honesty, I would say yes. When I'm working on something that I enjoy, I focus well. But when it's something that I'm doing just because, I often times wander. If I'm studying a text book, within about 10 minutes I'll be doing something else. Focus is definitely a weak point, and always has been for me. Again, in all honesty, that could be my biggest hurdle right now.
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Dec 18, 2008, 03:58 PM

Do you think you might ADD? Or dyslexia? You could have a medical reason as to why it's so hard for you to study..

Maybe you should look into that side of it. If it's not a medical thing then maybe you need to cut out some personal activities.. go to the library to study and reward yourself (not with food) when you do well on a test.

Do not quit your job though, maybe you can work less hours.
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 04:07 PM

Well I see a common idea here,, do you?(DON'T LEAVE THAT GOOD PAYING JOB! )In case you missed it... lol :p

Dec 18, 2008, 04:13 PM

I read and write just fine, and my teachers have said the same thing. ADD... I have a few family memebers who have ADD, including one severe case. I've considered it, but I've always looked as ADD as a cop out, as doctors will diagnose anyone with ADD. That doesn't mean there isn't the possibility that I have it. That is certainly something that I can investigate... If I could maintain focus better than I do now, I would feel a lot more confident about finishing projects, with school especially.

I have a pretty good diet, and I exercise regularly. I'd like to say that I'm pretty fit, and I know it makes a difference in overall performance for everyday things.

Dec 18, 2008, 04:17 PM
    LOL yeah I definitely didn't miss it, KBC. I have a great job, and I'm due for a promotion soon as well. They pay for my school, they give incredible benefits, they are very lenient with the hours that I work. I have the option to start a 401K which they will match my contributions (going to start that at the beginning of the year). Basically, with my school schedule, I was told I can work anywhere from 30-40 hours a week, or more if needed. I'm getting great experience to add to my resume, and overall I'm happy with work.

Again, though, it comes back to my ability to get to a management or director position without a degree. Everyone in my company who's in a management position has a degree, most with MBA's.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2008, 04:47 PM
    So I taught 8 years at a university... some experience dealing with "motivated" students and also those who were less directed. Many of the returning students, the "nontrads", were students who were "distracted" at some point in their life... be it situational, having a child, or problems with grades. It happens. I actually took a year off from school, after getting abysmal grades, when a loved one died... withdrew from college. Worked for a year. Took a class or two in the meantime to get myself back on track. Sometimes you need to step back before you step up.

Your job seems to pay well enough right now. Does your employer offer any kind of tuition benefit? Many do if it is applicable to the job or career. If you haven't asked about this, you should. Not uncommon, but not all will have this... and some companies are cutting benefits currently in this ecomony.

Also, consider online education. I have a good friend who was able to keep her job, go to school through phoenix online, and was able to get her masters... and in the process, a raise and a promotion. There was a time when online ed was suspect and uncommon... but now, its not absolutely necessarily to go to State U to get an advanced degree that will advance your career.

As for your fears... I agree with what has been said. You seem to be more concerned with motivation than ability.

Don't be scared to apply and fail. Live in reality. If a school doesn't take you now, fine. You know. Knowing doesn't change the reality, it just makes it clearer. Be willing to apply to schools and face the fact that you might get in or you might not.

If you don't get it, make a plan. Take a class or two at a local community college. Sure... it might take another year or two to build up your resume, but it can, and is, done. You just need to do it.

As for your distractions... you choose what you demand.

My wife is upper tier mid management. What has kept her from being a director? An MBA. Every director in the company has one (or a PhD).

Now... I don't think it's a "miracle degree"... one of the most successful persons I know has an accounting degree and has been the president of a few companies over thirty years time.

But the truth is the truth... if you can force yourself to get the paper now... when its easier... its just better. The honest answer is that good people with lesser degrees don't have the ammunition to walk into HR and demand more cash, and leave excuses for not getting a promotion.

When I was still an undergrad and the school needed help supervising students in summer classes, the department really struggled with hiring me, even though it was temporary. They KNEW I had the experience and ability to do a good job, but they didn't want to "lower the bar"... meaning by hiring a senior without a degree they opened themselves up to the administration... can this be done without a degree? Less money? etc...

Same thing where you are.

Some positions just require the degree as a standard, right or wrong. My own mother is quite talented, knows more than me about the health sciences from on the job experience, but will NEVER be a manager due to degree.

So... turn off the damn games. It can be done. The sooner you get done what needs to be done, the better.

You know this... you are just walking around it.

Just be careful. Don't walk around it for too long. Life has a funny way of getting in the way sometimes.

Keep your job. Work your arse off for a couple of years. You won't regret it.

Dec 21, 2008, 10:50 PM

I'm going to meet with a counselor at the JC that I'm attending. I'd like to have him or her go over where I could be and how long it would take to get there, with realistic circumstances (as best as I can guess them), and see what universities I should be loooking at getting into. Having some sort of end goal, and schedule, makes a big difference for me... I tend to stay on track when I've got something I feel I'm working towards. At work, I usually do well because I can see the results... I haven't seen results in school, because I feel like I've been in it forever.

Thanks for the advice guys... I definitely have no immediate intentions of leaving my job. Happy holidays all ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I feel lost and confused. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I was looking for some advice. I am 26 years old, recently divorced my high school sweet heart. We dated for 8 years were married for less then a year. (my fault for the divorce) well I started dating another man shortly after, he is 49. He promised me the world, security happines family and...

Finding closed college lost diplomas [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about obtaining a lost diploma from control data institute in atlanta ga that has been closed for over 15 years?

Cold, tired and just feel poorly [ 5 Answers ]

Often cold, cold from the inside out, tired, restless sleeps, depressed, when sitting hurts to get up and walk, some times bones hurt, just generally not feeling well for years I am 45 suggestions ? It is not arthritis.

I feel so lost. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I feel so lost. I lost my father who I loved very much and was very close to this January. His health had been fading for a long time (he was 73 yrs old), but he passed away quickly and I didn't even get to say goodbye. I feel so guilty because I had been to the hospital to see him...

View more questions Search