Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgoocher Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Laptop won't hold system time
    I've replaced the cmos battery but the time/date aren't being held when the laptop is powered down or put in sleep. Don't know if this is related but it started happening when I let MS install Silverlight and that installation failed.

I talked to HP and they thought it was the cmos battery (laptop JUST went out of warranty! Of course). So I got the battery and installed it... nada (don't panic, I do have an IT background and have built servers from the ground up.)

Driving me crazy!! Help
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Dec 18, 2008, 09:00 AM

Couple things...
    1) there is malware that does this , so just for fun.. download/run Malwarebytes

2) there is a battery called an RTC battery. It's a lithium battery just for keeping the clock running... I don't know anything more than that about RTC's

Dec 19, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticFX View Post
    couple things...
    1) there is malware that does this , so just for fun.. download/run Malwarebytes

2) there is a battery called an RTC battery. its a lithium battery just for keeping the clock running... i dont know anything more than that about RTC's
    Thanks, I will run the malware removal tool and see if that helps. The RTC battery is the one that I replaced... nothing there.

Thanks again for replying
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Jan 6, 2009, 06:05 PM

My suggestion is doing a extensive cleanup including the registry and if that don't work then it could be a minor bios setting boot into the bios and load setup defaults and see if that works

Jan 6, 2009, 09:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosmaster1 View Post
    my suggestion is doing a extensive cleanup including the registry and if that don't work then it could be a minor bios setting boot into the bios and load setup defaults and see if that works

Thanks, nothing I have tried so far has worked so this is definitely worth a shot! I set the defaults and will see what happens... Jayne
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 6, 2009, 09:28 PM

I have this same issue with my Dell laptop.

Jan 6, 2009, 09:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkwithaK View Post
    I have this same issue with my Dell laptop.
    I don't know if it's hardware or software issue. Have tried everything software related that I can find, next step is customer support with HP... hopefully it's not a major hardware thing, the laptop is only 18 mo. Old! And out of warranty!

Good luck

Jan 6, 2009, 09:56 PM

Have you removed or touched the clear cmos jumper maybe you have a jumper out of place near the cmos that every time power is off it resets check the jumpers

Jan 6, 2009, 10:03 PM
    have you removed or touched the clear cmos jumper maybe you have a jumper out of place near the cmos that everytime power is off it resets check the jumpers
    Not familiar with that... I've worked on a lot of servers, never a laptop... I'll power down and see what I can find... thanks

Jan 6, 2009, 10:17 PM
    have you removed or touched the clear cmos jumper maybe you have a jumper out of place near the cmos that everytime power is off it resets check the jumpers
    Powered down, looked inside and it would appear that I don't know what I'm looking for! <<Grin>>

I unplugged the cmos battery, I don't see jumpers of any kind... hmmm, maybe that's the problem?

Jan 7, 2009, 09:38 AM

Try a new battery

Jan 7, 2009, 09:44 AM
    try a new battery

I replaced the rtc battery a couple weeks ago, are you saying this one might also be bad so try another new one?

Thanks

Jan 7, 2009, 10:16 AM

Yea cause you can buy new batterries and they be dead from sitting so long on the shelf if they are cheap buy at least 2 of them

Jan 7, 2009, 10:58 AM
    yea cause you can buy new batterries and they be dead from sitting so long on the shelf if they are cheap buy at least 2 of them
    Thanks, I will do that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell Chromotherm III thermostat reads Hold AC and will not Hold Heat [ 2 Answers ]

Chromotherm III thermostat reads Hold AC and will not Hold Heat--reverts back to Hold AC when run program is pushed.

Trying to hold child back but school is giving me a hard time [ 11 Answers ]

My 6 year old daughter has had a hard time with math and reading she has been going to extra classes for help it has helped a little I would like to hold her back in the first grade and so would one of her teachers we had a meeting with the principal about it he thinks holding her back would be a...

Opiates length of time in system [ 4 Answers ]

How long will I test positive for opiates after I have been weened off by my doctor?

Laptop takes lot of time to power up from standby or hibernate [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My laptop is taking a lot of time(about 5 minutes) to power up from hibernate state or standby state. This is very annoying. It boots up much faster when it is turned off. This started happening recently. I would appreciate if you can give me a solution for this problem. Thanks SA

View more questions Search