Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drstove Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Delete on Outlook Express 6.0 no longer works
    I've been using OE 6.0 for a couple of years and never had a problem deleting a message or groups of messages, read or unread. Suddenly, it seems I cannot delete any messages. The delete folder can be opened and is empty so there should be room. I am running XP SP2 if that makes a difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Don
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Dec 19, 2008, 03:55 PM

Open OE and save or move any messages you want in the Inbox.
    Click on Tools>Options>Maintenance tab>Store Folder.
    On the Store Location box, highlight the address by pressing the Tab key on your keyboard.
    Press Control+C (both at the same time) to copy the address to the clipboard.
    Click Cancel on all boxes and close OE.
    Click on Start>Run.
    Press Control+V (both at the same time) to paste the address into the command line and click OK.
    The store folder containing all the DBX files should open.
    Find the one named Inbox and delete it. When you next open OE a new Inbox will be created and hopefully that will solve the problem.

From: Solved: Outlook Express 6 can't delete emails - Tech Support Guy Forums

I would also strongly suggest that you download SP3 and then get the other available Windows Updates.

Hope this helps!
    drstove Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 09:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey14 View Post
    Open OE and save or move any messages you want in the Inbox.
    Click on Tools>Options>Maintenance tab>Store Folder.
    On the Store Location box, highlight the address by pressing the Tab key on your keyboard.
    Press Control+C (both at the same time) to copy the address to the clipboard.
    Click Cancel on all boxes and close OE.
    Click on Start>Run.
    Press Control+V (both at the same time) to paste the address into the command line and click OK.
    The store folder containing all the DBX files should open.
    Find the one named Inbox and delete it. When you next open OE a new Inbox will be created and hopefully that will solve the problem.

From: Solved: Outlook Express 6 can't delete emails - Tech Support Guy Forums

I would also strongly suggest that you download SP3 and then get the other available Windows Updates.

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14,

Thanks, I truly appreciate the effort you put forth. While waiting for an answer to my question a friend suggested that I allow O.E. compress the folders before trying to delete again. I did use the compress function and now delete works perfect again. So I didn't have a reason to test your solution.

Don
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Dec 20, 2008, 09:36 PM

Your welcome. Glad your friend could help.

Merry Christmas!
    Lorry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I import my dbx files from Outlook Express to Outlook? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My daughter gifted her Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop to me. It has Win Vista Home Basic. For emails it has Outlook installed and working. I have all my 4 GB of email records on another computer in Outlook Express. Is there anyway I can readily import them to Outlook as DBX files or convert them to...

Mcrosoft outlook and outlook express [ 3 Answers ]

I am not able to understand the concept of MS outlook and outlook express.I want to know the difference.And how to use outlook as I am a beginner.

Outlook Express to Outlook conversion gave messages wrong "Date Received." [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, All! I used Outlook's Import capbility to import everything from Outlook Express: mail settings, folders, their messages, etc. The import process reported successful import of my huge sets of folders, subfolders and their 11,000+ messages... however: The Good: Some messages were...

Switch no longer works [ 1 Answers ]

We had two light switches that were in two separate rooms but controlled the kitchen overhead lights. About two years ago, I disconnected one of the switches. Last night, the switch that was left operational, stopped working for no apparent reason. I tested it and it no longer has power. The...

View more questions Search