Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lone Ninja Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2006, 07:25 PM
    Laminate floors and stairs
    My brother and I are installing Laminate floors in a house and we are getting into the stair work now. The question is can we use underlayment for use with the laminate flooring and still nail it down to the stairs? Another question is it okay to butt the edges to the sides of the stairs that have already been finished?

I hope that I have stated my questions clearly enough, I appreciate any help or insights provided.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2006, 02:33 AM
    Armstrong says "Yes. You'll need to fully adhere the flooring to the stairs without using foam underlayment and follow the special installation instructions for stair installations."

They'll no doubt have special trim for the edges, noses and risers.

I couldn't find Armstrong's installation guide, but found one for Shaw (attached).

I would definitely stick with your own manufacturer's instruction, though, for the stairs.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf VersaLockLaminateWoodLookInstallInstructions.pdf (210.3 KB, 4976 views)
    Lone Ninja Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2006, 04:32 PM
    Thanks Rickj. The problem is that they did not come with instructions. The brand is Mohawk. I'll try and track down their website later tonight.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2006, 04:22 AM
    Here it is:
    http://www.mohawk-flooring.com/laminate-floors/

Check the Installation link on the left.

Good luck with it!
    michaelbitto Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2010, 08:48 AM

Watch videos of laminate flooring on stairs - YouTube - TheFloorfitter's Channel

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refinishing floors-timeline [ 2 Answers ]

We just bought an apartment that is a converted office building which was re-done about 4 years ago. The floors are hardwood and I think they look pretty good but my boyfriend really wants to sand/refinish them. We are also renovating our small kitchen which also has wood floors. My question is:...

New basement bathroom floors/walls [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All, I am looking to build a bathroom in our basement. The room will be positioned right next to the sewer line which exits just above the concrete floor. We have a drain pipe in place for a toilet and have to begin framing the floor and walls. The toilet will have to be 9" off the concrete...

Squeaking Floors under Carpet [ 1 Answers ]

My floors (2nd) floor)are squeaking under the carpet, I'd rather not pull up the carpet to fix. What can I do. It's very annoying

Refinishing floors [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to refinish some stairs. I was planning on using polyurathane. I have been told that the water based version is better. Any thoughts? What are the pros and cons of both.

Floors [ 2 Answers ]

I removed linolium from cement floors and want to use plain cement without any covering. There is a discoloring in spots due to the glue.what can i put on the cement to remove the glue??

View more questions Search