Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tcd Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 10:55 AM
    L1B Visa - but paid by non US company tax question
    Hi there

I have been offered to work 1 year (1. Mar 2009 - 28. Feb 2010) for my current employer located in Switzerland at our New Jersey subsidiary. The Visa will be a L1B for specialized employees and I will receive my salary through the Swiss company. Do I have to pay any taxes, medicare or social security things in the US?

Thanks in advance
    Michael
    Animals123 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2008, 11:32 AM

I'm not sure about the taxes but PLEASE make sure you have LOTS of medical insurance. If anything should happen, ANYTHING medical, it will cost you hundreds of dollars just to see the doctor. Treatment is extra. I hope you enjoy your time in North America.

Dec 17, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Hi Animal123

I already thought about that before my last holiday in the US and added an extra medical insurance which covers up to 200% of the usual local (Swiss) costs. Hope this will be enough...
    Animals123 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2008, 11:59 AM

Good to know. You can never be over insured, especially when traveling. Good Luck in the US.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 04:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tcd View Post
    Hi there
    I have been offered to work 1 year (1. Mar 2009 - 28. Feb 2010) for my current employer located in Switzerland at our New Jersey subsidiary. The Visa will be a L1B for specialized employees and I will receive my salary through the Swiss company. Do I have to pay any taxes, medicare or social security things in the US?
    Thanks in advance
    Michael
    Once you are present in the U.S. to work, it is U.S. source income irrespective of who paid it. Your income is subject to SS tax, Medicare tax and income taxes.
    Check with your employer. The New Jersey subsidiary will be holding all these taxes.
    For 2009, you will file dual status tax return if you are single. If you are married, you can choose to file joint return as residents.

Dec 18, 2008, 04:52 AM
    Hi MukatA

You might be right, but I just found the following under the US-Swiss Income Tax Treaty §4:

<quote>
    3. Where by reason of the provisions of paragraph 1 an individual is a resident of both
    Contracting States, then his status shall be determined as follows:

a) he shall be deemed to be a resident of the State in which he has a permanent
    Home available to him; if he has a permanent home available to him in both States, he
    Shall be deemed to be a resident of the State with which his personal and economic
    Relations are closer (center of vital interests);

b) if the State in which he has his center of vital interests cannot be determined, or
    If he has no permanent home available to him in either State, he shall be deemed to be a
    Resident of the State in which he has an habitual abode;

c) if he has an habitual abode in both States or in neither of them, he shall be
    Deemed to be a resident of the State of which he is a national;

d) if he is a national of both States or of neither of them, the competent authorities
    Of the Contracting States shall settle the question by mutual agreement.
    </quote>

I would comply with a) because I will have a permanent home in both states but I will definitely go back after 1 year and my family lives in Switzerland too. Could this work?

Thanks
    Michael
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Michael:

Sorry. Even though you are maintaining a closer connection to your home in Switzerland, you STILL must pay federal and state income taxes to the U.S. and NY state for 2009 because the money was earned within U.S. borders and because your stay in the U.S. for 2009 will exceed 183 days.

The wording in the tax treaty MAY allow you to avoid federal income tax for 2010, but the state income taxes will still be due.

FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes are due because the "L" visa is a work visa, and FICA taxes are due on income earned within the U.S. while on a work visa, even though you will NOT qualify for benefits under the U.S. Social Security and Medicare systems.

However, due to a totalization agreement between the U.S. and Switzerland, credit for these FICA taxes will be transferred to the equivalent programs in Switzerland.

Dec 18, 2008, 11:18 AM

Hi

This is really bad news! So this 183 days rule seems to be my problem...
    Is there some sort of tax calculator to estimate it? We do pay really low taxes here (approx. 10-15% with my income) and I would like to "tune" it to a minimum while in the U.S. Are there some suggestions to lower my taxable income in a legal way?
    I saw that the U.S. is withholding money directly from paychecks but they wouldn't even see mine because it would be paid to a swiss bank account. How does that work?

Sorry for the bunch of questions I just want to be prepaired as good as possible.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 02:40 PM
    TCD:

The fact that the money is NOT withheld does not relieve of the requirement to file the tax return and pay the taxes. Further, give that you know that you must pay these taxes, your employer probably has the legal obligation to withhold and pay the federal and state income taxes and the FICA taxes on your pay checks. Failure to do so will cause them to incur same rather nasty fines.

What is your annual salary in U.S. dollars? I can then do estimates of your tax liability.

Dec 18, 2008, 02:44 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'll pay my taxes for sure! ;-)

With today's exchange rate it would be approx. 57k.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Okay, then, for 2009, you will eqarn 5/6ths of $57K, or $47,500.

Social Security @ 6.2% = $2,945
    Medicare @ 1.45% = $689

The income tax works on a progressive scale, so I will not be able to quote exact percentages. That said, here are your approximate tax liabilities:

NY State tax = $2,300
    NY City tax = $600
    Federal tax = $5,600

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Company paid vehicle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a company paid vehicle. I have unlimited usage and my gas is also paid for by the Company. I live in North Carolina and I'm trying to figure out just how much having this perk is worth over a year's time...

Paid by company that does not file! [ 1 Answers ]

I work on a yacht, typically out of the USA. While the yacht(place of business?) has an offshore registry, my pay comes through an American bank, and is split between my offshore bank account and my American bank account as I desire (I put more in the offshore acct.) The company does not file...

How to record personal exp paid by company [ 1 Answers ]

Background: it's a partnership business. We don't have visa card for the company yet. So owners have to pay from their own pockets when we run out of the cash. I have set up owner loan payable to each owner under short term Liability. So whenever we receive our AR , owners will get reimbursed. ...

CA resident paid by an NJ company [ 1 Answers ]

Firstly, about me: I am an Indian citizen Came to US on F1 in 2002 Always been a resident of California Was filing 1040-NR-EZ, 8843 and CA-540-2EZ But, I am now on H1B visa since Oct 1st, 2006 I got to know that I am still a non-resident for 2006 tax year So, I have to file 1040NR or EZ...

Work performed and not paid by the company [ 2 Answers ]

I'm selfemployed and there's a two companies that I did some work for them and they have not yet paid me for my permit expediting service. What can I do ?

View more questions Search