Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lptnonlne Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2006, 02:35 PM
    Oil blowing from valve air tube
    Hi, I have a 16hp briggs& srtatton twin cylinder engine with magnetron ignition, its an 1980 model.
    Got the mower started after wiring problems sloved and now it is blowing oil out the vent tube that goes from the valve vent area to the carbrator breather housing. It runs good and does not miss at all. Any suggestions on why this is doing what it is. It takes it about 1 minute to start blowing oil out after started.
    I was wondering if it could be the valve seal leaking, as it only does it on one cylinder.

Thanks, Charles
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2006, 10:04 PM
    This is a side valve... wouldn't cause it if a valve seal was leaking... now a ohv with a blown head gasket sure...
    Sounds like the breather is either gummed up or worn out... don't try to open it up or clean it, they are cheap to replace.
    Lptnonlne Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2006, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    This is a side valve..... wouldn't cause it if a valve seal was leaking.... now a ohv with a blown head gasket sure....
    Sounds like the breather is either gummed up or worn out..... don't try to open it up or clean it, they are cheap to replace.
    I replaced the breather and still does the same thing.. kinda sounds like a knock now.. any more suggestions?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2006, 05:21 PM
    About the only other thing I can think of at the moment is either gas in the oil (making it too thin) or the oil ring on that cylinder...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman blowing oil out breather tube [ 4 Answers ]

Craftsman 6.0 HP Self propelled/Mulcher lawnmower. Model# 517.372500 After starting and cuting a couple of strips... oil starts to blow out the breather tube, white smoke starts to come out the other side of the mower, so I stop and reload oil. What is the problem and should I start looking for...

Oil blowing out Breather Tube [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman push lawn mower with a 5.5 hp engine. This spring it started blowing oil out of the breather tube. What can cause this? What do I need to check?

Gas valve noise on main valve engagement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrier 58gs100ga furnace with a white rodgers 36e93 gas valve. The main gas valve solenoid chatters or rattles for a split second before it stays engaged after the pilot is proved. I just replace the spark/lock out board and the fan board for a different problem. This chatter is...

Alternator solenoid valve fuse blowing with 1990 Honda Civic [ 0 Answers ]

A frined (I guess you could cal him that) gave me a 1990 Honda Civic that doensn't run... two problems: one problem is that the fuse to the alternator solenoid valve blows when I turn the key to start thus I can't get the codes from the EUC.. the other one is that there is no fuel getting into the...

Tube from the water shut off valve [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was turning off the water to the toilet while trying to fix something and the tube FROM the shut off valve TO the toilet tank broke. How can this be fixed by an amateur? Please help, we have 6 people in the house with one working toilet! Thanks!

View more questions Search