Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carmen1956 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Immigration Fraud - How Do I Report Them?
    I have a roommate (for 1 year now) who is using anyone she can and not just to be a citizen. I know her husband who sleeps in the living room behind a curtain whom she doesn't even talk to (I am certain they never slept together), he is just happy not to pay rent... I know her boyfriend who sleeps here most of the time in her room... I am sick of people taking advantage of my country... she and her boyfriend are from ghana and are very [B]rude :confused:her husband is of course an American... I tried calling the tip line, but I waited over 30 minutes twice... what can I do??
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by carmen1956 View Post
    I have a roommate (for 1 year now) who is using anyone she can and not just to be a citizen. I know her husband who sleeps in the living room behind a curtain whom she doesn't even talk to (I am certain they never slept together), he is just happy not to pay rent...i know her boyfriend who sleeps here most of the time in her room...I am sick of people taking advantage of my country...she and her boyfriend are from ghana and are very [B]rude :confused:her husband is of course an American....I tried calling the tip line, but I waited over 30 minutes twice....what can i do?????

What do you hope to accomplish? What is your purpose in reporting her - particularly if she's your roommate and, potentially, your friend - ?

Being "almost certain" she is not "sleeping" with her husband is certainly not grounds to have her deported.

How is she taking advantage of your country? Is she collecting Government benefits?

You apparently have the phone number to report her/him/them so I guess you'll have to hold on for more than 30 minutes the next time, until the other people reporting other people are finished. No one here can make them answer the phone faster.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 09:45 AM

If you don't want to stay on the phone and hold in order to talk to someone, then why don't you just tell her and her husband and boyfriend to just LEAVE your apartment? That's a lot easier than trying to get someone deported these days. Try that, OK? If you are tired of having them take advantage of you. You can tell them that your landlord says there are too many people living in your apartment and they must leave. Yes, I know it's a fib, but then, will they know it's a fib? Probably not.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 02:44 PM

You should not waste ICE's time if you don't know she is illegal, it wastes the government's time and this roommate could sue you for filing a false report if it ends up messing up her life having to prove her status to some investigators.

That being said, there is probably a 99% chance no one will ever come and investigate this claim since so many thousands of people are doing exactl what you are doing, calling immigration on someone cause they are "foreign" without taking the time to ask them or someone that knows them if she is legal.

Does the roommate have a job at a real company? Then she is most likely a legal resident.
    gorgeouslady Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Jan 14, 2009, 06:06 PM

Don't waste your time.immigration may listen on your call but to act on it,most unlikely.let it go and mind your business or tell her to pack her stuff and leave your apartment
    ooox Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 10:44 AM

I am agree with Twinkiedooter. You should tell them just to leave your apartment.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 12:01 PM

This thread has been dead since January 2009.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I report an Immigration fraud? [ 20 Answers ]

My friend has had a friend who now is a Green Card holder and working full time, studying full time by receiving government loans. This friend came to US back in 2000 through San Diego, CA and his travel originated from Toronto, Canada. He told his relative and acquaintances that he came from...

How to report immigration fraud [ 1 Answers ]

How do I report someone who holds a Green Card but commits fraud by not living in the US, further using an address in the US to collect child support, although children are not living in US?

With whom do I report immigration fraud? [ 4 Answers ]

I am the concerned sister of a very naiive and gullible guy. He met a woman from Brazil who has both Brazilian and French citizenship. She married a French citizen just to get her citizenship. Now she wants to do the same her to become a citizen of the US. She has already offered him 5 thousand...

How to report immigration fraud [ 7 Answers ]

My cousin recently passed roughly two months ago in a fatal car accident. To my family's surprise, we found out that he was married and had been married for (according to his wife) approximately 3 years. Since my cousin was very close to us; as his family, we feel that if this was a legitimate...

Report an immigration fraud [ 1 Answers ]

We had sponsored a live-in nanny for our 3 yr. old kid from India and within 2 months she mentioned that she needed to go back to India as her parent was ill. She borrowed additional money and soon "left" for India. After about 3 months when we returned from work we found her in our house.She...

View more questions Search