Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anxious_RN Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Confused about infertility
    Curious - does anyone know the statistics of motherhood infertility in the United States? Maybe like infertile versus fertile women? This is all simply out of curiousity.

Also, what makes a woman infertile? Other than obvious disorders/diseases that can affect a women's chance of becoming pregnant, is it genetic fators? Does the woman not ovulate? I don't know if that's possible, but that is the only reason I can think of. Thanks.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by anxious_RN View Post
    Curious - does anyone know the statistics of motherhood infertility in the United States? Maybe like infertile versus fertile women? This is all simply out of curiousity.
    Here is an interesting site from the Centers for Disease Control.

N C H S - FASTATS - Fertility/Infertility

Quote Originally Posted by anxious_RN View Post
    Also, what makes a woman infertile? Other than obvious disorders/diseases that can affect a women's chance of becoming pregnant, is it genetic fators? Does the woman not ovulate? I don't know if that's possible, but that is the only reason I can think of. Thanks.
    There are many causes of infertility including diseases, too numerous to list really. Untreated STDs are a large part of infertility. Anovulation (not ovulating) is obviously a cause because a woman has to ovulate for the sperm to reach the egg. Damage to the fallopian tubes, such as scar tissue, is a cause as well.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 07:50 AM

Depending on the age range, and what resource you use, it may be around 10-15% for the average woman of childbearing age, and increase from there for older women.

There can be any number of possible reasons... from very simple to very complex. Issues with ovulation... not ovulating or ovulating sporadically. Underlying causes for this as well... there can be some genetic reasons, hormonal reasons... thyroid issues, low progesterone, high prolactin, PCOS, etc. Structure issues... uterus shape, condition of fallopian tubes. How the woman's body responds to her partner's sperm... her general health, diabetes may play a role for some women, weight may play a role for some women. Some women will have blood clotting issues or problems with the lining of the uterus that effect a pregnancy to take or last.

These are just several, and then you throw into the mix the possible problems the man might have... sometimes it is one or the other, but sometimes it is both. The male factor accounts for a fairly high percentage of infertility issues. This is why it is so important for both partners to have testing if pregnancy is not being achieved.

You can then add secondary infertility, where someone has already had a child, or children, but find they are unable to after that.
    It's no wonder that only a small percentage of couples get pregnant right away; that it can take a year or so and still be perfectly normal. So much is focused on the timing and that is just one small, although important, element in the process.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Here is an interesting site from the Centers for Disease Control.

N C H S - FASTATS - Fertility/Infertility

There are many causes of infertility including diseases, too numerous to list really. Untreated STDs are a large part of infertility. Anovulation (not ovulating) is obviously a cause because a woman has to ovulate for the sperm to reach the egg. Damage to the fallopian tubes, such as scar tissue, is a cause as well.

Yep, a very large list of possible causes indeed... had to spread the rep... :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 07:54 AM
    I too have to spread the rep Doula... I knew you would come in with what I left out!!

Doula to the RESCUE!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Infertility risks [ 2 Answers ]

I suffered blunt testicular trauma. Diagnosis was: intratesticular hematoma, and my doctor (in our country we don't have experts from this medicine branch) said, you'll be OK. At the beginning I didn't care so much about it, but now few days later I'm a little bit concerned about this condition...

Infertility after gonorrhea? [ 1 Answers ]

In May I found out I had gonorrhea :( I got treated and they said everything was fine. I did have a papsmear then. Wouldn't they have seen if it had been long enough to build up scar tissue and cause infertility? I'm just worried because I got pregnant at the end of July and had a miscarrage Sept....

The pill and infertility [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone I am am new on the site,I have been trying to conceive for last one and half year went on clomid for two months didn't work I want to give myself a break from infertility woes but want to start taking the pill to keep away possible infection and cancers ...

Unexplained Infertility [ 17 Answers ]

I have been trying to get pregnant for 3 years now, and nothing. I'm 19 and my husband is 21. I have had every test done and none of the doctors I have seen thus far can tell me anything, other than they know nothing. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through the same thing. If so, I...

Is endometriousus the cause of infertility? [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for almost four years. We have gone through many tests, and everything so far has been fine. I ovulate regular, have regular periods, tubes are open, hormones are balanced, and my husband's sperm is normal. Though last week, a polyp was found on my...

View more questions Search