Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beatlebuzz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 06:35 PM
    2002 Goodman furnace not igniting
    For several days - have been manually powering down then restarting sometimes catching on the first second or third ignite, trying to fix the furnace and save the kids some money... today it died... will not ignite.. have sanded the flame sensor... cleaned every connection possible... Today furnace did not reach the requested temp... shut down... and could not get furnace to ignite again... HSI glows and looks like it works... how do I check if HSI is up to par?? Very frustrated at this point... could the control board be bad?? This is my sons house and has two babies really need to get the furnace working... thanks to all... help... getting cold in Michigan
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 07:02 PM

If the ignitor glows, you can bet it's OK. Look for a clear plug in the blower access panel with a blinking LED inside. Count the blinks, then look at the label inside the panel for translation. Post back.
    beatlebuzz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 05:32 PM
    KC13 - thanks for answering... sorry for not responding sooner but I've been down at the sons house trying to get the furnace running... today I replaced the circuit board and got the furnace back to the original issue... igniting on the first second or third try... this lasted about 5 hours same as yesterday... then stop working again... the igniter glows you here a click and does not ignite... the igniter glows bright... is it possible it's the gas valve?? I have not noticed a clear plug-in the blower area... I will check tomorrow when I go back --the kids and baby's are staying here tonight.. again thanks for your help... the only LED light I've noticed on the furnace is on the control board (circuit board). And the only message is one blink --- which means failed to ignite three times.. which shuts down the furnace... you have to turn the furnace off then on to start again..
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 06:31 PM

A voltmeter would reveal the problem. Is the click you hear from the gas control, or the gas control relay on the circuit board?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman furnace GMNT080-4 furnace runs good for a while then has to be manually reset [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Goodman GMNT080-4 (90%). I'm having the same problem As Streatherg did back in the Nov 2006 question. I reviewed his article and tried Every thing on there but seems to be doing the same thing. The furnace kicks on for about an hour then locks out and has to be manually reset threw...

Its cold in here furnace not igniting [ 1 Answers ]

We have a nordyne mobile home furnace. Can hear it click on, but it is not igniting or blowing any heat. There is a red light blinking 3 times on a box that says "united technologies electronic controls". Can you help, please? It is cold in here.

Day & night furnace not igniting [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all: I have a '73 Day & Night furnace that won't ignite after being shut down for the season. I have a pilot light and the unit reponds to the thermosat, at least the blower kicks on. I have seen a couple of things that might be possible fixes and wanted some other opinons. 1 -replace...

Goodman furnace not igniting [ 25 Answers ]

I have a Goodman furnace (I think, that's what the guy who came to give me an estimate for having central air installed said) and it won't ignite. I had a vent blocked to one room in the house because I was scraping paint and didn't want the dust in the ducts. It was blocked for about 20 hours. ...

Concord furnace not igniting - no click sound [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Concord 80% furnace apx. 4.5 years old. It has not been used for 6-7 months as the tenants were not paying the gas bill. Now that they are out, I went to start it up... and nothing. I get the igniter to light (M shaped Norton) and the system cycles, blower runs, but no "click sound"...

View more questions Search