Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ozzi123 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 04:06 PM
    16 kicked out of school
    My son is 16 years old, he was kicked out of an excelerated program for cutting
    School, being disreputive and breaking a contract. Now the school is tell me (parent)
    That my son has 2 options, ged or night school. I feel that is only 16 and he made a bad decision, which I am sure he is regreting, bored out of his mind. He is not a bad kid.
    I believe he thought he could get away with it and made a bad decision. I am trying to
    Get him back to school, they are also trying to send him to an alternative school which is for real bad kids, he does not belong there and he does not want to go. I need some suggestions on how I can fight this situation the right way. As a parent and seeing that me son regrets the path he took, he is only 16 and kids do make mistakes. Please help
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 04:09 PM

At 16, he is old enough to understand that actions have consequences.

I'm ALSO sure that he was warned (and probably several times) before being expelled.

His options are probably exactly those you stated: GED, high school equivalency (night school) or alternative school.

It's not fair to the OTHER students (the ones that DIDN'T make "dumb" mistakes) that he should just be forgiven and taken back.

16 is a little old to learn about consequences to actions, but hey--if he DOES learn that lesson, and go on to better himself, then he's got a good start on adult life.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 04:09 PM
    What kind of things did he do that were disruptive? Schools these days have a no tolerance approach. They have rules for a reason. Apparently your son did not follow the rules.

When we, as adults or teens, make bad choices we have to deal with the consequences.

Dec 16, 2008, 04:16 PM

Talking and not listening to the teacher
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 04:19 PM

And?

***ADDED -- We can't help you if you aren't completely honest with us. There are a lot of smart and experienced people here who are parents, teachers, and counselors. If you want to do the best for your son, please tell us the whole story.
    Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzi123 View Post
    talking and not listening to the teacher
    I'm sure there is more to this story.

Dec 16, 2008, 04:21 PM

No that it to the story I have received duplicates of all his write ups

Dec 16, 2008, 04:25 PM
    All I want is for him to go back to High school
    And no 16 year old should be home... they should be in school. I am his parent and he is under age and it should be my choice on what kind of education is should have. Kids do not think like adults they have no fears... I was a troubled teenager and I grew up to be a great adult... I did not have parents like me who try to support all good things... why shouldn't he get a second chance.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 04:26 PM

You've said in the beginning that he has been "cutting school, being disreputive and breaking a contract." So there is more to the story. Please give us more details about cutting school. How many times? Where did he go and what did he do while out of school? How was he disruptive (besides talking)? Did he threaten someone? What kind of contract did he break? What had he agreed to?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 04:30 PM
    I have received duplicates of all his write ups
    ALL of them -- like, how many?

He needs a SECOND chance? C'mon and work with us here.

Dec 16, 2008, 04:31 PM

My son went to a high school that was over crowed and wasn't getting the attention or education a child needs... we spoke about and decided that maybe he should try to get in to the excelerated program which you finish 2 years of credits in 10 months... very strict which was a good thing and only 120 kids were excepted... well I believe that they again had to many kids and had to clean house.
    Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 04:32 PM
    All i want is for him to go back to High school
    That is a good thing. But he did bad things, apparently numerous.

and no 16 year old should be home...they should be in school.
    Yes, they should, unless they are disrupting the learning of other children.

I am his parent and he is under age and it should be my choice on what kind of education is should have.
    Unfortunately, you are now dealing with the consequences of his choices. Was he ever punished for his behavior? What was the punishment?

You seem to love your child and that is very admirable, however, as much as you love your son, it is apparent he is no angel. He was disrupting the learning of the other students who did not make "dumb" choices.

why shouldnt he get a second chance.
    He had a second chance, and most likely a third and fourth, but he chose not to obey the rules.

my son went to a high school that was over crowed and wasnt getting the attention or education a child needs.....we spoke about and decided that maybe he should try to get in to the excelerated program which you finish 2 years of credits in 10 months....very strict which was a good thing and only 120 kids were excepted....well i believe that they again had to many kids and had to clean house.
    You need to start putting the blame where the blame belongs. It does not belong with the school. Unless of course they were so overcrowded there was no place for him to sit so he had to cut school.

Dec 16, 2008, 04:39 PM
    When he started the program he signed his 1st contract only certain amount of days taken without doctors notes, no cuts and if so parents
    Would be contacted for every absence.
    My son cut school 2 times and absent 4 times since sept 08 to nov. 08. (not good)
    My husband was called to school and he signed his 2nd contract if he cut he would be kicked out of school, also he did community service 3 hours for cutting. He cut school and I met with the principal, I was told to keep him in school until a decision was made... family night I was told by the principal that he was kicked out and that I had 2 options, before this decision was made I requested to speak with the superintendent and to get a profile from each teacher not done... I am fighting back my sons future...

Dec 16, 2008, 04:47 PM
    What is the law for a 16 year old who wants to be in school not home... regrets... concerned parent...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 05:39 PM
    when he started the program he signed his 1st contract only certain amount of days taken without doctors notes, no cuts and if so parents
    Would be contacted for every absence
    How many days absent were allowed according to the contract?
    my son cut school 2 times and absent 4 times since sept 08 to nov. 08. (not good)
    Why did he cut 2 times? Why was he absent 4 times? That's 6 times absent in three months.
    community service
    This is serious stuff.
    he cut school
    Why? More than once?
    I am fighting back my sons future...
    Does your son care about his future? How much does he care? His father has already picked up the pieces by signing the 2nd contract. Will your son sign a 3rd one with no more cutting or unexcused absences?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 05:44 PM
    what is the law for a 16 year old who wants to be in school not home.....regrets......concerned parent......
    The law is on the side of the school. Your son has proven that he does not want to obey school rules and honor a contract that he signed with full knowledge. The school has every right to tell you and your son that he has to find another school situation or work on a GED. Have you contacted your local community college about this? CCs usually have programs for GEDs or can tell you how to find such a program.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 06:13 AM

You could check cyber schools or private schools.
    Where I live there are good Christian schools that will work with you if you can't afford them. They will even let you work the tuition off.

The cyber schools charge your school district.

You might want to check into those as options.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 07:23 AM
    what is the law for a 16 year old who wants to be in school not home.....regrets......concerned parent......
    Depending on where you are, he may only have to be in school until he is 16. Unfortunately about all you can do is try to plead with the school for another chance, but the school is in the right with this. Is there the possible option of him going back to the regular school program? Two contracts were signed, he knew the requirements of the program, he was spoken to several times at least about his actions, he was well aware of the consequences of not keeping his agreement, he made a poor decision and now he has to face the consequences. Consider it a very valuable learning experience.

They aren't keeping him from an opportunity for an education, he just made the unfortunate choice to close one of the options. Yes, it's crummy, yes I know he likely feels badly about it, and yes I know as a parent it is not the vision you had for your son, but it's just how it is and you aren't likely going to change it no matter how upsetting it is.

My son went something somewhat similar, to a lesser degree. A rough time in the family and he went through a spell of having trouble keeping up on his high school work which cost him to not have the credits he needed. In order to graduate he had to take some night classes to catch up in addition to his regular classes. It was inconvenient, but we made the best of it and he learned from it, went on to finish, and is now set to graduate with his Bachelor's degree next June.

It may be a stumbling block, but it's not a roadblock. I wish him well.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 03:09 PM

Maybe I'm naïve here, but if the boy was kicked out of a special accelerated program school, shouldn't he be able to attend the "regular" local public high school?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Maybe I'm naive here, but if the boy wqs kicked out of a special accelerated program school, shouldn't he be able to attend the "regular" local public high school?
    From what I understand, he left that and can't go back because of how he messed up in the accelerated program - he can't bounce back and forth willy-nilly. (We may be missing some information here about what was said when he left the regular program.) His infractions in the accelerated program must have been severe enough to warrant an alternative program or dropping out to work on his GED. We're getting the story piecemeal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kicked out [ 3 Answers ]

Our landlord sold the house to their son and they said we have to move out before our lease is up. Do we have to move or if we do move do we have to pat rent for those months

Kicked out [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, so this one confuses me. If you are under 18, and your parent(s) kick you out, and you leave because they don't want you in their house, do they have the right to call you in as a run-a-way juvinile? And if they do, what happens if you tell them that you were kicked out and have witnesses?

Can she be kicked out? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a question. My sister and her boyfriend in of 7 years have bought a home together in Ohio through a bank a couple months ago. Both names are on loan and deed. They have 5 kids... 2 are hers and his, 3 are his and someone else's. Anyway he said he wants her and her kids out in 30...

Kicked out of high school. [ 6 Answers ]

My best friend got kicked out of high school in his last year before he was going to graduate... it pretty clear that he is unable to graduate this year... but what could he do as an high school alternative if there is such a thing? Please help

View more questions Search