Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greenrnr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 01:24 PM
    I work in Alaska and live in Utah. Do I need to pay Utah state income tax?
    I live in Utah but I work in Alaska. All of my income is made in Alaska. Do I need to file a state return with Utah?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 01:35 PM

Probably if you have a residence in Utah.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 02:21 PM

Ok, sorry how do you do it, sort of a long commute every day.

Do you live in both Utah and Alaska ?

Dec 16, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Ok, sorry how do you do it, sorta a long commute every day.

Do you live in both Utah and Alaska ?
    I work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 02:51 PM

Ok, how do you live in Alaska, do you rent a place, or live in company provided housing.

I am just looking at the though, that you actually are a resident of Alaska, Ie live there the majority of the year, and have a vacation home in Utah?

Dec 16, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Ok, how do you live in Alaska, do you rent a place, or live in company provided housing.

I am just looking at the though, that you actually are a resident of Alaska, Ie live there the majority of the year, and have a vacation home in Utah ??
    I work on the North slope. When I am at work I live in company provided quarters. I do have a home in Utah.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 03:10 AM

1. The income earned while in a state must be reported on the state tax return. But Alaska does not have individual income tax, so you do not file Alaska tax return.
    2. You are resident of Utah. You must report your worldwide income for the year on Utah tax return. You MUST also report Alaska income to Utah.
    Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    theschmits Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2012, 12:36 AM
    You would have to work in Alaska to aford to live in Utah these days! I am glad I moved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Driver's license from a state, live in another state, work in a different one [ 8 Answers ]

I just moved from MI to NYC but I will start work in NJ. Is the lease that I started for a place in NYC enough to prove my NY residency? Or do I have to also change my driver's license (which currently is from MI)? I am basically trying to figure out how to avoid having MI taxes still deducted...

Moving to Utah [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I currently live in So. California. My hubby and I are looking into moving to Utah. I’m just curious what it is like to live there? We are not LDS. My husband was raised LDS but is not a practicing member hasent been one for years. I’m just scared that we will be outcasted. We are trying to...

How do I find Waiver for Parental Rights in Utah [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to find out where my son would go to get a Waiver for Parental Rights to give to a father who does not want his child?

Work in one state, get taxed by the state I live in [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Michigan, but I work in Indiana. My company taxes me Michigan tax. While filing my state return do I have to also file an Indiana state tax?

Received Summons for Credit Card Debt (Utah) [ 1 Answers ]

I received a summons from a lawyer representing a collection company (Arrow Financial Services) for an outstanding credit card balance which I have been unable to pay (I was out of work for a long time and have had health issues on and off for the past few years). It says that I have to respond...

View more questions Search