Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mark negri Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Support spousal
    We were married 1 week short of 2 years when she moved out what is the time frame for support is it 50% of the length of marriage and is there a free site to access disomaster to figure support
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 01:30 PM

What State?
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mark negri View Post
    We were married 1 week short of 2 years when she moved out what is the time frame for support is it 50% of the length of marriage and is there a free site to access disomaster to figure support
    You sound like you are in California if you are talking about using the DissoMaster.

First, the "half-the-length-of-the-marriage rule" is only a guideline the court may use if it wants to. It's NOT a rule of law. And it does not apply to marriages over 10 years as you probably know.

Second, temporary spousal support (entered while the case is pending and before entry of final judgment) is NOT subject to the one-half--the-length-of-the-marriage rule and can go on as long as the case sits in the court system (which can be years). In other words, if you were married one day you might end of paying two years of temporary guideline support if it takes two years for your case to go to final judgment. When it comes to fixing long-term orders, however, judges usually give a credit against the duration of long term support for any period that a temporary order ran. In other words if it takes one year from your case to go to final judgment and the court were inclined to apply the half the length of the marriage rule to your case, you would get a credit off the one year's support the court might order for any time pre-judgment that a temporary ss order ran (if say 6 months, you might end up with only 6 months of long term support).

Finally, if you want to calculate long term (post-judgment) support, keep in mind the DissoMaster cannot be used for that purpose. The court is barred from relying on a computer-generated guideline spousal support calculation in making a long-term order and must consider the 4320 factors (Family Code section 4320) independently.

Dec 16, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Spousal support
    I live in Ca LA county
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 02:01 PM

See my reply to your question on your other thread. Yes, there are online support calculators but I don't have the website.

Dec 16, 2008, 02:02 PM

What about length of support
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mark negri View Post
    what about length of support
    As I explained on the other thread, there is no maximum length support runs in any marriage with regard to temporary guideline spousal support. Long term (post-judgment) support is a completely different matter altogether (it's the one subject--possibly-- to the 1/2 the length of the marriage rule).
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Yeah, CFLR is really good about letting you download DissoMaster for free for a 30 day trial period.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 02:12 PM

Welcome to CFLR
    Only informative...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spousal support [ 1 Answers ]

My husband's ex wife remarried and he is still paying her spousal support, is he supposed to still pay her

Is it a bad thing if I get spousal support from ex? [ 11 Answers ]

I was getting spousal support from my ex-husband. My boyfriend judge me was a bad thing I did. And he thinks I take advantage of the law of marriage. I try to explained to him and make him understand my situation of my marriage because my ex doesn’t want to work the marriage out, it wasn’t I am the...

Spousal Support [ 10 Answers ]

In my final divorce decree. I am responsible to pay spousal support to my ex-wife for two years. I live in Virginia State. Now, during the two years my ex-wife got married and never informed the courts of the legal change in her maritiall status! My question is whether or not the spousal support...

Spousal Support [ 2 Answers ]

I am in divorce now. No minor children, married for 25 years. Do I still have to pay spusal support and is DissoMaster the correct way for this purpose?

Spousal Support--Reconsideration [ 1 Answers ]

I recently missed a hearing to revisit my spousal support order. Due to my absence the Judge ordered for me to continue paying the amount previously decided on plus an additional amount which was in arrears. I filed a motion for reconsideration and got a new court date in March. My question is,...

View more questions Search