Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slscott99 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 10:28 AM
    Should I claim short term or long term loss
    Hi - I have stock that I receive every year which of course has been hammered - I want to sell just enough to take advantage of the maiximum 3000 capital loss, just to offset ordinary income.

I can sell stock I've held for a while and generate a long term loss or use stock acquired this year for a short term loss - does it make any difference at all for my purpose.

Also - does the trade have to settle in the current year ( I suspect the answer is yes.. _

Thanks,
    SLS
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Dec 16, 2008, 10:31 AM

I would see the long term stock
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 12:47 PM
    Sell the stock shares whose basis produces the BIGGEST loss per share. That way, you retain the most number of shares and will profit when the stock recovers.

If you do NOT think the stock will recover, then sell EVERYTHING and carry-forward the loss to future years.
    slscott99 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2008, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the quick reply - a few follow ups if you please.
    1. Can the loss be used to offset ordinary income even though I'm subject to AMT ?
    2. Does the trade have to settle prior to 12/31 or just be ordered by that date.
    3. If I take a long term loss in a custodian account in my minor son's name can I still claim the loss on my tax return ?
    Thanks for all the help
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 29, 2008, 06:20 AM
    1) I think the AMT will offset any benefit from the offset, but I am not sure.

2) The trade/transaction must be done on or before 12/31; the settlement date can be after 12/31 and still count for 2008.

3) Negative. That is your SON's account, not yours. The stock sale (and loss, if applicable) has to be reported on a separate tax return filed by you on your son's behalf using your son's name and SSN as the taxpayer. You need to do this even if there are no taxes due, to account for the stock sale. If you fail to file your son's return, the IRS will eventually send you a notice demanding a return be filed to reconcile the Form 1099-B they will receive from the broker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Short term vs long term capital gains, loss carryovers [ 4 Answers ]

Back in 2000 and 2001, I had short term capital losses that exceeded the 3000 dollar limit. Each year, I've been able to deduct 3000 dollars since my short term gains have been minimal. I still haven't used up all my 2000 and 2001 short term losses. I had some long term gains in 2000, but...

Can short term capital losses offset long term capital gains in the same tax year? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend sold some investment real property this year and had a large long term capital gain. He invested the proceeds in the market and the values are down. If he sells the investments now he will have some short term capital losses. Can he use the STCL to offset the LTCG? He also paid...

Accounting for Long Term and Short Term Cap Gains [ 2 Answers ]

How do I properly account for Long Term and Short Term Capital Gains from investments (stocks and bonds)? I am unsure of which account to use and the proper treatment on the financial statements. We (the Company) have not been involved in investing much until this year. Feel free to assume I know...

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why? [ 4 Answers ]

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why?

View more questions Search