Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    034Jackie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Charitable Organizations
    I'm hoping someone will read this and suggest a philanthropy/charity that might help me with a $15,000 loan/gift... I used a credit card when things were really bad for me. I used it for food, gasoline and other household items, never for myself as a luxury. I'm a person that should be kicked in the butt for being so trusting. I was due a sum of about $5,000 from a small inheritance. I stupidly charged the above assuming that there would be no problem. Well, I didn't get the money and just kept on using the card until "things would catch up????????????",, It turns out now that the huge payment on the credit card ($560 monthly) is making it impossible for me to keep up the mtge. Payments. Another reason I'm so anxious to get this credit card paid is that it is not my card but one that was lent to me several years ago by a good friend. She has no idea how large the amount is and I don't want to ruin her credit rating. That's the huge reason for my dismay. I know all of the above is a poor excuse for all that has happened but it's the only one I have. Please, Please can someone come up with a suggestion. Thanks to all and God bless.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 10:13 AM

I do not know any Charities that would give one lump sum that large. There are many people in your situation and no charities are helping them out. If you are low income you might try applying for different small amounts of money like LIHEAP to get a little assistance with a utility bill.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 10:15 AM

There are many like you in the same boat, jackie, would that everyone could access a charity and have the debt paid off, however, I don't think that is likely to happen in the near future. $l5,000 gift you are asking for will probably go to a third world country to feed children, etc.

No wonder you are anxious to get it paid off seeing as the card belongs to someone else, however, their credit rating is probably already jeopardized at this point.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 10:27 AM
    I do not think any such charities exist. I would recommend contacting the credit card company to have the interest rate lowered, but since it is not your card you can not do that.

You need to find a way to generate income. Here are some suggestions. Hopefully you will find the thing (or things) that work for you.

-Have a yardsale, garage sale or eBay sale. There are probably lots of things around your house that you could live without.
    -Ask to be considered for any overtime or special projects that arise at work.
    -Find a part time job. Even if it is only 5 hours a week at minimum wage, it will be something. Try Starbucks, the grocery store, Mary Kay, clean someone's house, etc.
    -Are you crafty? Make something unique and sell it. Host a party at your house to introduce the item to your friends and neighbors.
    -Do you have a talent? Enter a contest with a cash prize.
    -Cancel you cable. Put the money you save each month toward paying the card.
    -Sell your car and take public transportation, carpool or car share. The money you make combined with the money you save on gas & insurance will add up quickly.
    -Speak with the friend that owns the card and see if together you can work something out.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Religious Organizations [ 3 Answers ]

Should the Pastor and his family members handle the church finances?

Charity organizations [ 2 Answers ]

In the area where I live there are the goodwill stores and I do not understand how these stores are regulated? One of the stores in my area has stuff piled up from floor to ceiling everywhere with do not touch signs. They are selling items in a small space and it seems everything that IS for sale...

View more questions Search