Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwatkins1105 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 09:35 AM
    My upstairs is freezing in winter and hot in summer
    I live in a bugalow home in Michigan and in the summer my upstairs in much warmer than the rest of my house, I have to run a window air conditioner to keep it cool and in the winter it is much colder than the rest of the house I have to run an electric heater. My question is should I insulate between the roof trusses to help control this problem or should I just insulate the attic better?
    jcchampion Posts: 45, Reputation: 5

Dec 16, 2008, 10:11 AM

Well, it sounds like there isn't much, if any insulation in your attic.

If you insulate the roof trusses, your heat will continue to escape to the attic and will get stuck there when it meets the insulation, which will give you a nice cozy attic.

I would recommend insulating better the floor in the attic first. That should help hold the heat in the living space of the upstairs.

Of course, heat rises, so you if you're trying to hold heat in the living area, you want to start insulating at the lowest points first, and then go from there if it doesn't seem to be enough.

JC
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Dec 17, 2008, 11:48 AM

What kind of heat do you have in the upstairs now, other than the electric heater?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Combination Summer winter hookup [ 1 Answers ]

I know I am an electrician asking a plumbing question... :confused: let the jokes fly... :p But after doing several new homes in the Lehigh Valley area, I have noticed that anyone getting an oil fired hydronic heating system often gets a electric water heater and they are hooked together. My...

Ceiling fan direction: Summer vs. Winter [ 3 Answers ]

I moved recently and can't find my owners manual. But I remember it mentioned that you should have the fan direct air downward or upward depending on season. Does anyone know which way the fan should be pointing in the summer? Thanks.

Summer/Winter Furnace Switches [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a older model Bryant furnace which has a switch box attached to it that has 2 switches, one that says "Summer only" and another "Winter only". Currently these switches are both at the "on" position. I have alreasy started my furnace for the winter and the furnace works when called...

Climate between summer and winter months [ 2 Answers ]

Which of the following destinations would experience the greatest difference in temperatures between summer and winter months? Is it nassau,bahamas or anchorage,Alaska or calcutta,india or philadelphia,Pennsylvania

Winter/Summer fan revolution [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a condo and there are Hampton Bay ceiling fans in every room. Of course, there are no owner's manuals. Which position does the switch have to be in for updraft and or downdraft. I can't tell just by standing beneath it. Thanks

View more questions Search