Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dreweh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Indiana Traffic Ticket and Court Questions
    A few weeks ago I was pulled over and given a traffic ticket for going 61 mph in a 50 in Bristol, Indiana. After looking the ticket over and seeing what I had to do to pay it, I realized the cop mistakenly marked "Information and Summons" rather than "Complaint and Summons" on my traffic ticket.

I'm wondering whether this is something worth bringing up in court, since the back of my ticket states that under an "Information and Summons" charge I am required to personally appear in court. Clearly, going 11 over the speed limit is only a traffic citation, and should have been marked "Complaint and Summons," which allows me to plead guilty or no contest (this was further verified as a mistake when I called into the court personally). Could this error hold enough weight in court to get me out of my ticket?

I think my course of action will be to show up in court and play dumb, saying that the reason I am in court at all is because the ticket told me I had to be and go from there. If they do end up making me plea something, however, would it be better to plead not guilty and fight this in court or just try and get a penalty reduced through pleading guilty with the prosecutor and/or cop before the trial?

If you do have court experience, please tell me what state it was in.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 08:45 AM

You were clearly guilty and have no excuse that the court would accept so you can just check guilty and send in the payment.
    His written mistakes will not get you out of the ticket.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 12:13 PM

Just to play it safe I would show up at the court date and pay the ticket in person.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 01:21 PM
    You may try and call and just pay the ticket, But you can bring this up, but it will not make a differnce in guilty or innocent. Not a small town judge may feel sorry for you having to take a day off from work and not pay the fine
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 01:30 PM

Yeah the Judges feeling sorry may be the only ticket out but I doubt it.
    schneiguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 11:27 PM

dreweh, how did you end up handling this? I just had the same thing happen to me. Thanks!
    dreweh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 11:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by schneiguy View Post
    dreweh, how did you end up handling this? I just had the exact same thing happen to me. Thanks!
    Actually, I was able to get completely out of the ticket -- it was well worth it. What happened was I went into the Elkhart County courthouse (located in Goshen) and was sent to a room with about 60-70 other traffic violators. Each person was filed into a room to talk to the judge (no cops present, mind you), who assessed their ticket and gave them the appropriate penalty. When my turn came, I described my situation honestly and told her that it was my first traffic ticket ever (which is true). She was impressed with that and understood the circumstances of my story and wrote it off. Hope this helps.
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

May 5, 2009, 08:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by schneiguy View Post
    dreweh, how did you end up handling this? I just had the exact same thing happen to me. Thanks!
    Im looking at the same mistake on my ticket, how did yours turn out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Traffic ticket in IL [ 4 Answers ]

Guity as sin and I know it but this is my first speeding ticket in 40 years. How does one go about getting court supervision in Illinois? I know you still pay the fine but do you go to court and plead guilty and ask for supervision or what?

Traffic ticket [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I need advice on how to write a letter requesting discovery due to a traffic accident. I was the only one involved and court is coming up in 2 weeks. I just need to know how to word it. Any advice?

Non traffic ticket [ 3 Answers ]

I rented a car and I got a ticket... the problem is I was not able to pay the ticket and now its way past due.. I was informed that dmv will send letter to the rental company and the rental company will charge this ticket from the credit card that I used and if it declined then they will send the...

Traffic Ticket [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,this question involves getting a speeding ticket,and when the officer drove off he did not ask me to sign the ticket,is this ticket a vaiid ticket now,as I have the green copy with out my signauteur on,so there will not be a signature on the white copy,I live in the state of Washington,thank,s

View more questions Search