Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    signfab Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Windload on a sign
    What would be the windload on a 30 ft height by 21 ft wide pylon sign.
    How far into the ground would 14" sq tube post go?
    Karen
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 12:53 AM

I can't tell you exactly the specs. But on a telephone pole the rule of thumb is the heght divided by 10 and add 2 feet so 20 foot 10 goes in twice = 2 feet and add 2 more feet. I'am not an engineer. You have a big kite there. Sorry but have a nice Holiday
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 03:48 AM
    What you need to do is calculate the EPA, Effective Projected Area, for windloading, and then learn what the average wind speed in the location of the sign.

Start here, and do a web search for Effective Projected Area for other sites to help you.

Calculating Effective Projected Area (EPA)
    balasamyu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 11:35 PM

Pressure per unit area may be calculated by
    p=1/2*a*^V
    Where, p= pressure per nuit area in Psf, a= sprecific density of air and V= velocity of wind in MPH.
    This further shortened as p=0.00256*^V.
    This pressure multiplied by area of the element exposed to wind in SqFt, Cd = Coefficient of drag, for flat area is considered as 1, may give the force exerted by wind in Pounds on the sign board.
    More the height more the speed of wind.
    Bala

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a good sign or a bad sign? I am so confused [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend left me almost a month ago, and I have been giving her space. Haven't called, text, or msged her in that month. Then one day she called me at first but I missed her call so I called her back and she said she called me by accident so I said oh OK, and then we hung up like nothing ever...

Sign on Bonus Taxrepay & deducting yearly bonus from my sign on [ 1 Answers ]

I got a $5,000 sign on bonus & left the company under 1 year. They held back my $3,033 yearly bonus to deduct it from what I owed them in sign on. BUT they took taxes out of the $3033 bonus before deducting it from what I need to pay back. So they are subtracting $1817 from $5,000, saying I...

Sign Industry Wind Load Charts, Sign Section Modulus Charts [ 0 Answers ]

Recently I've been designing commercial electrical signs. Signs of the type that are on tall poles, or the big pylons and monuments you see in shopping centers, roadsides, etc. lit by neon and/or fluorescent lighting. In order to properly choose the size of poles, and the depth and diameters of...

View more questions Search