Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newnik29 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 08:30 PM
    In the Kitchen: 117v @ grd, 4v@ neutral. No coffee.
    I came home tonight to find the kitchen outlets that usually work fine aren't working. The coffee maker won't work, the toaster oven won't work and the counter top griddle won't work. There are 3 receptacles in question: 2 duplex outlets down-line from a GFI. I tried testing and resetting the GFI and the problem persists. I flipped the breakers off and on but the problem persists.

I noticed there are 2 GFIs in the kitchen, too. The 2nd GFI works fine and I'm quite sure it's on a different circuit altogether. Same goes for the bathroom GFI on the other side of the wall. Separate circuit, works fine.

I remembered I have a DMM, so I tested the voltage at the outlets. All 3 outlets tested the same:
    +/- 117v with the red lead in the right slot and the black lead in the ground hole
    +/- 0.4v with the red lead in the right slot and the black lead in the left slot.

Reality is that I don't know what to do with that information, let alone move on to the next step in troubleshooting.

Any help? How do I figure out the problem with the outlets?

Thanks,
    Newnik
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 08:36 PM

Sounds like you have lost the neutral circuit, perhaps at the GFI. If you can test-trip the GFI then you have power to it. Check the load-side wiring, but I would bet the GFI is bad.

Dec 15, 2008, 08:45 PM

Perhaps I sounded smarter than I am: How do I "Check the load-side wiring"? Doesn't that require tearing open walls?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 09:41 PM

The GFCI has an IN (line side) and an OUT (Load side).

Pull the GFCI out of the wall and check for power on the LINE and LOAD side. When the GFCI trips, you lose powe to the LOAD (all outlets down stream including the integrated GFCI outlet)
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 04:57 AM

Yeah, you got me, you sounded pretty smart.:p
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 05:46 AM

Does sound like you lost a neutral, when a GFI trips, it removes the hot AND neutral. Not just the neutral.

Dec 16, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    The GFCI has an IN (line side) and an OUT (Load side).

Pull the GFCI out of the wall and check for power on the LINE and LOAD side. When the GFCI trips, you lose powe to the LOAD (all outlets down stream including the integrated GFCI outlet)
    I should make it clear that the GFCI never tripped. I tested it, but it wasn't tripped in the first place.

I DO have a bad habit of talking smart. I end up with all sorts of information and I don't know what to do with it. :rolleyes:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 07:17 AM

Don't care if it tripped or not. You still have to make sure there is power coming into the GFCI and power coming out with the GFCI enabled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where is my coffee? [ 8 Answers ]

Does it ever get irritating to be expected to make the coffee every morning, esp. when you don't drink it. Am I just being sensitive?

What happen if you connect some grounds and neutral to the neutral bus bar and the do [ 1 Answers ]

The same conect some grounds and neutrals to the ground bus bar just using whichever bus bar is closest to the breaker so the wires don't have to travel all around the breaker box is that OK and safe to connect wires like that thank you

Better than a second cup of coffee! [ 2 Answers ]

Hearing Aid Danger Having lost most of his hearing a number of years ago, this elderly man goes to the doctor to be fitted with hearing aids which promise to allow him to hear 100%. A month later, he returns to the doctor for a check up on his progress. The doctor tells him that his hearing is...

Coffee, Coffee, Coffee! [ 1499 Answers ]

For all of us addicts out here, I thought we needed our own little corner of AMHD. Our own virtual coffeeshoppe... a place where we can sit and chat over a steamy cup of our favorite brew... What is your favorite coffee drink? Are you a frequent flyer at Starbucks? Do they know you by name?...

Got Coffee? [ 1 Answers ]

Success in Marriage A couple had been married for 45 years and had raised a brood of 11 children and were blessed with 22 grandchildren. When asked the secret for staying together all that time, the wife replies, "Many years ago we made a promise to each other: the first one to pack up and...

View more questions Search