Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Dec 15, 2008, 07:43 PM
    The blind leading the blind
    Whether you are for or against the bail outs, one has to wonder how can Washington possibly pull any industry out of the mud when they can't even balance their own books?

Do we even have any real plan to pay down the national debt? How long can our nation survive on borrowed time?

The simple fact is, if Washington was a private industry, it would have bankrupted decades ago.

By God I have to balance my "books" every other Friday.

Lead by example is all I'm saying...
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Dec 16, 2008, 02:58 AM

It's going to be very difficult for the new President to be successful due to the massive debt he's been left with from this administration and the state of the economy. (I am not going to start a partisan rant here)

Future governments, including Democratic ones are going to have to figure out how advance addressing the problems facing the people and letting the private sector deliver the services. This is odd for me, because I am a Democrat most of the time. However, rather than free market economics which don't solve all problems. I think if Government can issue legislation saying something like, here is the minimum standard of services these American's can have by law, etc. and let the private sector compete to deliver those services rather than the government deliver them, it may help in the long run.

I am certainly no expert, but I don't believe in the right wing ideology that complete free market works in all cases, especially healthcare. And when free markets can't deliver, or become corrupt, greedy or fraudulent; that is when you get more government.

Also, I think it's time we moved into the 21st century with regard to education and kept more kids at home learning over the internet and saving money on teachers. Some students would excel learning over the internet, it would suit their learning style. And with the right government start up capital, I am sure that private enterprise could come up with some fantastic software programs to teach kids with many different learning styles much better than some teachers as they can't be all things to all students.

Future governments should put money aside for future hard economic times; we do, why shouldn't they?
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 07:46 AM

And while they're demanding autoworkers take pay cuts and CEO's forgo bonuses, I think congress should end their automatic raises and roll back their own salaries and benefits.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 09:10 AM

Good idea. Make them work for a dollar like the auto execs pledged to do.
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    good idea. Make them work for a dollar like the auto execs pledged to do.
    That much?
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    And while they're demanding autoworkers take pay cuts and CEO's forgo bonuses, I think congress should end their automatic raises and roll back their own salaries and benefits.
    Amen!
    dazzling Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Dec 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

Tax payers should not have to take the brunt for wrong decisions by exeucitves to this major companies.

After all they have made the salaries gotten their bonuses and are still richer than us, and the very worker who is losing their job.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
    Tax payers should not have to take the brunt for wrong decisions by exeucitves to this major companies.

After all they have made the salaries gotten theri bonuses and are still richer than us, and the very worker who is loosing their job.
    I agree 100%. This is capitalistic society - some make money, some lose money. Also, they have been making poor business decisions for decades.

The debates comes when you consider the widespread ramifications if these companies fail. 10% of the labor pool in this country is directly connected to the auto industry. If all these additional people are added to the unemployment pool, it could truly sink us.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    I agree!!
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 03:09 PM

The national debt can never be paid back. That is the scam you see. They print up fiat money that is really just debt. When the time is right, when the country can never pay the debt, they forclose on real property. Infrastructure, toll roads, commercial property, homes, tracts of land, farms and anything else you happen to own.
    Viola, as if by magic, they turn absolutely nothing into everything that is really worth anything. Is that what is happening right now?
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 07:00 AM

Good news, congress is definitely planning on giving themselves a $4700 raise. I definitely think we should all object.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 10:39 AM

If their performance rating was comparable to a profit /loss calculation it is clear Congress has underperformed and let their share holders down.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 04:58 PM

The people in Washington, namely the Senators and Congressmen, all have lovely 100% paid health care for them and their families, extremely generous pensions after they leave the gov't service, banking in the in-house banks (won't even start on that topic), generous raises each year, free postage, not having to pay withholding tax, etc etc. They are NOT in touch with the American people or reality any more. They are so busy lining their OWN pockets with "free dough" from all the lobbyists that they really don't CARE about the people any longer. They are so worried about losing their "perks" and "free dough" and being re-elected so they can hold out their hands and have them filled to overflowing they can't really concentrate on much else, let alone balance anything. Juggle is more like it. The fact Shrub "ordered" an automotive bailout is totally wrong. Why didn't the wonderful folks in the Senate and Congress approve it? Probably because they don't want to be voted out of office next go round and want the blame to be squarely on Shrub's shoulders. Convenient, huh? You bet it is.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 07:47 PM

But they serve a very important function.
    Look like a democracy.

Dec 20, 2008, 11:07 PM

The new congressional employee handbook:

All in the white house congress will work for the federal minimum wage. And health care will not be free, if it's offered at all, which by the way, will only be offered after 4 years of continuous service, and then will cover no dependants and feature a $4,000 deductible, $100 prescription plan, all for a premium of about $500 per month. No dental, no disability. If they want a retirement, you are free to contribute to a 401k plan - the employer (tax payers) will not be matching any contribution however.

All business trips via plane will be on regular commercial air liners - COACH, and no freebies like peanuts and little cokes, they will be at an additional charge.

Business trips within the DC metro area will be accomplished by using the public transit system.

Business tips within a days driving range will be accomplished by car, a cheap car, at least 20 years old, with no air conditioning.

Holidays:
    In an effort to completely separate church and state, Christmas will be stricken from the calendar as a federally observed holiday. Private citizens are free to celebrate the holiday as they see fit. Congress however must work on that day. After all, I am a Christian, celebrate the holiday, and I have to work on Christmas!!

In fact, congress will work through every holiday, most Americans have had to work a holiday or two in their life, I see no reason why our holier than thou congress should be any different.

They will work 5 days per week. Six or seven days per week to get important bills passed.

Congress will work constantly until the budget is balanced. They will work 12 hour swing shifts until an agreement is reached on the budget, and it must be balanced with a goal to pay off the debt within 10 to 20 years.

If you call in sick, you must have a doctors note. If you miss one day with no doctors note, you will receive a verbal warning, two days within six months, and you will receive a written warning, three days within six months and you will be terminated.

In addition, you will not be paid for any time off from work.

You will no longer be allowed several months off per year for "recess". Recess will be your two days off per week, in addition, you may take 5 days off after 1 year of service, this must be approved by the tax payers at least two weeks in advance however.

You make take an additional day after 5 years of service, then an additional day after 10 years, etc, not to exceed 10 days total.

You will also be subject to any an all withholding taxes, personal property taxes, sales taxes, even DMV fees.

Evaluations:

After 90 days of employment, you will receive your evaluation, the tax payers of your district will decide your raise, not to exceed 25 cents per hour. Your next evaluation will a year later, and so forth. You may receive up to 25 cents on the hour on each evaluation, up to 10 years of service, where you may receive 30 cents. The amount of each raise, will be at the discression of the tax payers.

At any time, you may also receive a pay cut.

We understand that due to these new stringent pay scales, you may no longer be able to afford 25 lavish mansions on the hills at various locations. So we, the tax payers have set up a special boarding house in Washington.

The rent for this boarding house will be $100 per bed. The house is spacious and consist of two large gymnasiums, the men will sleep in one gym, and the women will sleep in the other. A chaperone will be on site to insure there will be no infidelity between the two buildings. Food will not be provided.

For additional help with transportation, the local classifieds is an excellent source for purchasing a quality used vehicle for a reasonable price.

If there are any questions or concerns, please send them to your local human resources department, i.e. the tax payers of your district.

Best Regards,

The *real* citizens of the United Stated of America

Dec 20, 2008, 11:22 PM
    If you agree, please copy and paste, send it to your congressmen, after all, we ARE their employers!

Send one to your local newspaper editor too!

And I for one think every last one of them needs to be fired!

And democrats and republicans are officially blackballed! It's time for some new blood, and a new "party".
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 12:21 PM

The Cody Word

I really respect this kid. He pushes the "RED" button every day. Read his blog. This is the real deal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Blind Guy! [ 4 Answers ]

Couple of days ago I was attending a screenplay class, it was fun I loved it, was enjoying my time, then while sitting on a short break, my father called me on my cell phone, I answered I was talking about something seriously and then all of a sudden I stopped talking, my eyes sparkled, I saw...

Blind guy [ 1 Answers ]

I can't remember title of movie filmed in Leavenworth, WA about 20 to 30 years ago. It was about a blind guy that needed a guide dog.

Legally blind? [ 1 Answers ]

I took my daughter for an eye exam today and she is 20/200 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye for distance. 20/20 in both eyes for near. I know that 20/200 is considered legally blind but does that mean she must be 20/200 in both eyes for both near and distance?

How does sommeone go blind? [ 4 Answers ]

How does somebody lose there vision? Can they ever get it back?

View more questions Search