Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yogiP Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Pressure on upper side of face
    Hi

I have had many setbacks since my root canal last week. First excruciating pain, which has subsided since I was put on an antibiotic three days later (Friday), although I am still unable to chew on the tooth because it is very sensitive and still somewhat painful , esp. when I floss, but its nothing compared to the way it was just a few days ago.

I am now noticing tremendous pressure and slight pain on my cheek bone and under my eye. The root canal was done on a top molar on that side of my face.

Does anybody know what could be causing this pressure and is it dangerous to fly with this? Is this just a temporary side effect from the root canal and the possible infection?

Or should I be worried that this is something more serious?

Hope somebody out there has heard this before and can offer some insight as to what could be causing this.

Thanks...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 04:48 PM

Hi yogi, no you should not be feeling any pain at all and should be quite happy by now with the work done and be looking forward to a crown on that molar, should you desire one and under normal circumstances it is the ultimate end to the journey of root canal.

I have had a few root canals, none have pained me, have crowns on top of them. End of story.

I worked for an endodontist in Toledo OH (long story) who did the most outrageous oral surgery. So I know about pain of others for sure.

Just get yourself to a really good oral surgeon or, back to the dentist who did this work and put it on the line. Or, have it pulled and end the torment. You won't miss this molar and down the road you can always have a bridge.

I would get some of my money back for pain and suffering. Because, something was not done properly.

Ms insensed tickle

Dec 15, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Thanks for answering so quickly.

I will definitely call them in the morning. Do you have any idea what could be causing the pressure on the side of my face? Also, do you think flying is going to add to the pain.

When you say that something was not done properly, what do you think it could be ?

Thanks again
    Jllucas31 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 05:09 PM

Hi, I had a similar experience last month and it turned out the I had a very large abscess underneath my molar. The pain was horrific. And only after 3 sets of x-rays was this abscess found, so you may want to ask about this possibility. It would make sense if it started to improve with antibiotic treatment. Good luck and hope you feel better.

Dec 15, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Thanks so much for your help. This sounds a little encouraging, hopefully knowing that it can be corrected. How long till you were pain free?

Oh, and sorry you had to go through such a traumatic experience as well. The word horriffic is totally accurate. Glad it all worked out for you.
    Jllucas31 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 05:27 PM

Hi Yogi, actually the pain lasted 3 days and I even thought of going to the garage for a set of pliers in desperation, but I decided not to risk the infection :) JK Anyway, I marched into my dentits office that Monday morning for some relief and they decided to attempt a root canal but broke my tooth trying to do so. They had to pull the tooth and it was instant relief. Now, I must get some information on a porcelain implant. I hope everything works out for you. I would not let it go too long because of the risk of infection. Good luck :)
    Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 05:31 PM

Yogi, what am I missing here. You had a root canal to correct an abscess, is that not correct ? Youhave been on antibiotics.

A molar has four roots. Did they root canal all four ?
    Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 05:43 PM

And all of a sudden yogi isn't here anymore. I wonder if yogi is actually in pain with a root canal mmmmm because he is still actually in pain after a week.

Dec 16, 2008, 05:13 PM
    yes, there were four roots and she told me she got them all. She said they were very curved but everything looked OK.
    so I went back to the endodontist today. This morning I had a tremendous amount of pain and terrible pressure still on the side of my face/cheek/eye.

she took x-rays and checked the root canal tooth and the surrounding molars (top and bottom) some sensitivity but not in need of any other root canals (which is what she initially thought).

anyway she said the pain is from grinding my teeth and clenching my jaw in my sleep and suggested a retainer at night.

ground down another back tooth which she said is causing too much pressure on the tooth below it and said something about the muscle in my cheek way up in my gum line. I must say that after she massaged that muscle it did feel better.

since I am still on an antibiotic she prescribed a type of steriod, I don't know the name of it at the top of my head (decamethazone or something? ) and instructed me to take it for two days and I should really get relief from that. She doesn't think the pain is coming from the tooth//teeth but rather from the muscle in my face. Although I still can't chew on it because its very tender.

I was supposed to go to my regular dentist today to put in a perm. Filling but I don't want to re-traumatize the tooth... it/and me... have been through enough. So I guess as long as I'm careful I can wait till after the holidays. I can't chew on it anyway so I should be OK.

so right now I still have pressure but very little pain. I'm still not completely convinced that this is the problem... just part of it. What do you think? Ever heard of such a thing?

thanks
    Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 03:57 AM

Yes I have heard of 'such a thing'. She sounds very thorough. Bad occlusion can devistate, move teeth around in your mouth, cause a lot of pain. Just imagine what happens in your mouth when you are actually grinding your teeth while you sleep. Teeth aren't made not to move, they have t o move just a little, but constant activity all night would deflinitely compromise the muscle in that side of your face.

Be convinced and you will have no more pain. Positive thinking is a mind boggling experience and cures many ills.

Dec 17, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Yes, this endodondist is very thourough and very caring. And yes, I'm feeling much better now. Slightly sensitive but no more throbbing pain. I'm still on the antibiotic and the steriod for the pressure. (instructed to stay on it for two days) although there still is pressure on my face I think I can deal with it as long as it doesn't hurt

I do find it strange that if I am grinding my teeth and clenching my jaw in my sleep isn't it a coincidence that since this tooth problem started... ending with the root canal.. . That now I am feeling this pressure? I would have thought I'd have it along... what is your opinion on that?

Anways I want to thank you for all your opinions. They were very informative. I think you must have replied to just about every complaint I had. I really appreciate your interest. You must be a very kind person.

Lets hope I have no more tooth problems... if I do... I know you'll be there to offer information. Thanks again... :o)

Happy Holidays to you and yours...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Swallow right side of face [ 2 Answers ]

My right side of face is swallow, what can I do for the pain?

Do you add 30 410a freon pressure like you do r22 and r12 for high side pressure in c [ 1 Answers ]

Do you have to add 30 to the ambeint air temp. like you do for r22 and r12 to R410a freon to get the proper high side pressure reading

Maytag side-by-side refrigerator low cabin cold upper cabin warm [ 1 Answers ]

I have a maytag side-by-side refrigerator. I noticed that in the refrigerator section the low part ( where there is an air duct opening to the freezer). However, the upper part is warm. I have tried changing the temperature control it doesn't seem to be helping. Apparently the freezer is...

Low Pressure Hot Water Side Only [ 5 Answers ]

I just recently had to do some repair on my bathroom sink because I accidentally drilled into a water line in my concrete wall (no dry wall at all). Well, I made the fix on the pipe after opening up the wall. When all is said and done I hooked up the flex lines to the faucet and nothing comes out...

View more questions Search