Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandro28 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2006, 11:43 AM
    Core duo T2250 and T2300
    I need help please regarding the core duo processors.. what is the difference between core duo t2250 and core duo t2300? Which one is better? The t2250 is 1.73 ghz, FSB: 533 mhz, 2mb cache.. while the t2300 is 1.66 ghz (lower than t2250) and FSB is 667 mhz (higher than t2250) and 2 mb cache.. what is better? Taking the processor t2250 with higher clock speed (1.73ghz) or taking the processor with higher fsb 667 mhz? Thanks in advance
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2006, 12:58 AM
    Now I know one of the more hardware aware experts will be able to answer this for you but while we wait just wanted to add something I heard on TWiT yesterday.

I believe these Intel processors you are looking at are pretty cheap at the moment. This is because Intel have some newer chips coming out in a week or two. Supposedly these are meant to be blisteringly fast. So if you have the cash to splash and don't mind hanging on for a fortnight, you might be able to get a better processor.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2006, 09:49 AM
    AMD is better. Intel uses a single channel to connect the CPUs to the motherboard, thereby providing a bottleneck. AMD uses a dual channel giving you true ability to use the dual cores.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 11, 2006, 11:33 AM
    The only real difference is the price.
    In every day use you wouln't notice any difference.

FYI Scott These chips are both Intels ;)

Jul 11, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    The only real difference is the price.
    In every day use you wouln't notice any difference.

FYI Scott These chips are both Intels ;)
    Yeah I knew that. That's why I threw that in. Why bother figuring out the difference between two inferior chips? ;)

Jul 11, 2006, 12:23 PM
    Thanks all for the reply.. by the way it's been a while looking for a new laptop to buy and the intel Core duo is not cheap.. its price is higher than AMD.. I am really surprised.. I thought intel is better.. can you give me more info please about the AMD processors.. what type of AMD will be like core duo?

Jul 11, 2006, 12:37 PM
    AMD is Avis to Intel's Hertz so they have to price themselves lower even though they are the better chip. CNET did a review a few months back where the AMD X2 (dual core) chips beat the comparable Intels in 7 out of 7 benchmarks.

Is this laptop also going to be the one where you record TV? HP has a model with an external tuner. Also, if you plan on using it to play DVDs or CDs, HPS have a Quick play feature that allow you yo paly those without launching Windows, thereby saving battery life and time.

For a laptop the Turion line are specifically designed mobile processors.

Jul 11, 2006, 02:01 PM
    yes I want to use it to see TV and play dvds.. I prefer toshiba but unfortunately I didn't find toshiba laptop with amd turion x2.. they use intel instead.. by the way, what model of HP u suggested to me?

Jul 11, 2006, 04:39 PM
    Another question about intel core duo T2250, is it true that this processor will not be compatible with windows vista because it doesn't support 64-bit?
    jc105 Posts: 162, Reputation: 17

Jul 11, 2006, 07:20 PM
    The higher front side in my opinion is probably a better buy. Depending on what your doing, but in general the overall speed difference is minor, I would go with the intel duos.

Personally for my piece I understand why AMD is a good choice, but in mobile processing, I much prefer dual core centrino technology. Teh bomb, high performance/efficiency, IBM offers a tight laptop, as does alienware.

Oh and I heard something about windows only supporting 64-bit in a few years also, but not too sure.

Jul 12, 2006, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sandro28
    another question about intel core duo T2250, is it true that this processor will not be compatible with windows vista because it doesnt support 64-bit?
    No Vista will run on a 32 bit machine, but it won't be able to take advantage of the 64 bit features. I would NOT recommend buying any chip that is not 64 bit.

There is a Turion X2 CPU which is dual core. I would recommend the HP Pavilion 8000 series for your purposes.

Jul 12, 2006, 02:04 PM
    I have just checked the HP8000 but I found out that they are not dual core.. they are AMD turion ML not turion x2.. by the way AMD turion has the disadvantage of lower cache(1MB and in other models 512) in comparison to that of intel core duo(2MB).. by the way, regarding windows vista, what are the 64 bit features that I will miss if I go for intel core duo?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 12, 2006, 02:30 PM
    Sandro, what is the main role of this machine ?
    As dual cores on the whole aren't supported by games.
    I wouldn't worry too much about Vista as I wouldn't even think about running it until they release Service Pack 1 for it. Least that way all of the early bugs and security issues should have been worked out.

The way AMD and Intel chips deal with L2 cache is very different. Intel found that to try and keep up with AMD's they had to increase the L2 cache on their chips. The same goes for clock speed, AMD seem slower that Intel's but due to differences in the processors AMD's beat Intel with the same clock speed.
    This is one of the reasons behind Intel moving away from using the clock speed as a way to identify their chips.

Jul 12, 2006, 03:59 PM
    See Ben's response. Another thing that makes the AMD's perform better is they provide a dual channel to the motherboard, eliminating another bottleneck.

I double checked the AMD site, and the dual core Turions may not have reached the retail channel yet.

But Ben does raise a valid question. Do you really need the power of dual core?

Jul 12, 2006, 04:34 PM
    I see but I didn't understand well Ben's response about cache.. apart from the dual channel to the motherboard, I still didn't get to understand how AMD turion x2 with 1mb cache is better than intel core duo T with 2mb cache? If we compare for example between amd and intel that have same clock speed, how can amd win if it has lower cache? Are you sure that AMD with 1 MB is better than intel with 2 MB cache? Is the difference in speed and performance will be really noticed? Anyway, as u say Scott, they didn't reach retail yet.. wish I could wait but this would be a problem because I need to buy a new laptop urgently before travelling in August.. look I am asking about dual cores for some reasons:
    I will need the laptop to see TV programs using USB PVR/TV tuner, play games and movies on DVD, connect its TV out port to TV to see movies on TV, connect it to video camera.. moreover it is preferrable that it would be windows vista capable so that I would not be forced to buy another laptop when windows vista will be released next year

Jul 12, 2006, 05:00 PM
    What type of games? Are we talking heavy graphics intensive stuff?

Cache helps with doing repetitive tasks. But it only goes so far. The dual channel to the MB is more important.

There are several factors that go into the performance of a chip. That's why both AMD and Intel have stopped listing just clock speed.

In benchmark tests, AMD usually outperforms comparable Intel chips.

Jul 13, 2006, 12:59 PM
    Half life source, need for speed and may be other games.. moreover I am much more interested in multimedia, capturing video from video camera, TV, DVB to laptop using usb TV tuner.. so it is important to have a very nice video quality and speed as if it is a TV..

Jul 13, 2006, 01:28 PM
    The 8000 series is designed for multimedia. While dual core PCs will give better performance, it will be marginal until software comes that takes full advantage of it.

I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you.

Jul 14, 2006, 06:13 AM
    The GPU of 8000 series is nvidia geforce 7600 (128 mb dedicated + 128 shared from the system memory) I think 128 mb dedicated will be weak for 3d gaming

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search