Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    You forgot to mention that diet soda literally rots your brain. A friend of mine a few years ago drank upwards of 8 diet Cokes during her work day. She would line up the empty cans of Diet Coke like they were empty beer cans. Hilarious. What was not so funny was the fact that for a woman in her 50's she was worse than absent minded. She was downright stupid and could barely do her job without asking everybody else at the company what they thought she could do. (true story).

I think the Gov has had wayyyy toooo many Diet sodas as his brain has rotted away completely.
    There is a causation problem with that theory. You'd have to prove that she would not have gone "stupid" on her own without the soda/pop.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 03:23 PM

Yeah I agree that it could be caused by a number of other things but I feel that even my regular Pepsi is contributing a bit to my old timers memory lapses.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 03:52 PM
    I'm cutting down myself. But hockey 3 times a week is helping. Also we don't have High Fructose Corn Syrup here in soft drinks Canada so that's good as well.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Dec 15, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    You forgot to mention that diet soda literally rots your brain. A friend of mine a few years ago drank upwards of 8 diet Cokes during her work day. She would line up the empty cans of Diet Coke like they were empty beer cans. Hilarious. What was not so funny was the fact that for a woman in her 50's she was worse than absent minded. She was downright stupid and could barely do her job without asking everybody else at the company what they thought she could do. (true story).

I think the Gov has had wayyyy toooo many Diet sodas as his brain has rotted away completely.
    Could this somehow be the real cause of the Obama victory?:)
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Dec 15, 2008, 06:03 PM

I was talking about this sort of thing to the wife just the other day.

When we get national health care, will we have to get a prescription in order to buy red meat and Blue Bell ice cream?
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Dec 16, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    do they have kosher pork now, elliot?
    Lol

Dec 16, 2008, 11:59 AM

Hi guys,

Keep in mind that aspartame turns into formaldihyde in your body. Not exactly something that recommends diet soda for regular consumption.

Elliot
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    Keep in mind that aspartame turns into formaldihyde in your body. Not exactly something that recommends diet soda for regular consumption.
    Elliot
    snopes.com: Aspartame -- Sweet Poison?
    Aspartame, a dipeptide composed of phenylalanine and aspartic acid linked by a methyl ester bond, is not absorbed, and is completely hydrolysed in the intestine to yield the two constituent amino acids and free methanol. Opponents of aspartame suggest that the phenylalanine and methanol so released are dangerous. In particular, they assert that methanol can be converted to formaldehyde and then to formic acid, and thus cause metabolic acidosis and neurotoxicity.
    Although a 330 ml can of aspartame-sweetened soft drink will yield about 20 mg methanol, an equivalent volume of fruit juice produces 40 mg methanol, and an alcoholic beverage about 60-100 mg. The yield of phenylalanine is about 100 mg for a can of diet soft drink, compared with 300 mg for an egg, 500 mg for a glass of milk, and 900 mg for a large hamburger (1). Thus, the amount of phenylalanine or methanol ingested from consumption of aspartame is trivial, compared with other dietary sources.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 06:32 AM
    More details on the Guvs nickel and dime tax increase plans

He will increase taxes on:
    Movie tickets, taxi rides, regular soda, beer, wine, cigars and massages cable and satellite TV services... and removes the tax exemption for clothes costing less than $110. (cross the Hudson river and buy clothes in NJ)

Probable tolls on the few remaining bridges into Manhattan that aren't tolled .

But no taxes on Diet soda and please... no tax on stamps .

We will also now have Video slot machines at Belmont Race Park, more multistate lottery games and expanded hours for the state's Quick Draw lottery game.

In return for these increases in taxes he promises to :

Cut school aid 3.3% or $698 million

Reductions in payments to hospitals,nursing homes and other health care providers amounting to $3.5 billion .

Oh yeah... we also get to purchase a new improved design of the NY State auto License(even though my license plate is only a couple of years old and in excellent condition)

Why is NY facing such a huge shortfall ? Well ;they came to rely on the tax revenuse from those evil Wall Streeters to fund their ever expanding nanny-state .Patterson said yesterday :
    "Maybe we should have though about this when we were depending on what we thought were inexhuastive taxes collected from Wall st., and now those taxes have fallen off a cliff".

Duhhhhh you think?

Dec 17, 2008, 02:13 PM
    NeedKarma, more research has been done recently on that, and it turns out that there are other factors involved. The formaldihyde/methanol produced in fruit juices, has the methyl-ester bond, but the formaldehyde in aspertame does not, and therefore while the methanol from fruit juices is not absorbed, the methanol from aspertame is absorbed. This is based on a study that from June 2008 that I read... can't remember the source, though.

At the same time, at no point have I said that diet Coke is a poison. I only said that the aspertame turns into formaldehyde when metabolized. Even the article you cite from snopes.com agrees with that fact. I would think that ingesting formaldehyde in any amount would be contra-indicated, whether it reaches toxic levels or not. Kind of like how a little Mustard gas might not be toxic, but I sure wouldn't want to ingest even a little bit of it.

Elliot
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 02:18 PM
    NeedKarma, more research has been done recently on that, and it turns out that there are other factors involved. The formaldihyde/methanol produced in fruit juices, has the methyl-ester bond, but the formaldehyde in aspertame does not, and therefore while the methanol from fruit juices is not absorbed, the methanol from aspertame is absorbed. This is based on a study that from June 2008 that I read... can't remember the source, though.

At the same time, at no point have I said that diet Coke is a poison. I only said that the aspertame turns into formaldehyde when metabolized. Even the article you cite from snopes.com agrees with that fact. I would think that ingesting formaldehyde in any amount would be contra-indicated, whether it reaches toxic levels or not. Kind of like how a little Mustard gas might not be toxic, but I sure wouldn't want to ingest even a little bit of it.

Elliot

Yeah a lot of it has to do with organic vs synthetic
    Preservatives/man-made synthetics react different than organic

Here is a good example

YouTube - TWINKIE vs. TORCH
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 04:13 PM
    I only said that the aspertame turns into formaldehyde when metabolized. Even the article you cite from snopes.com agrees with that fact.
    I was simply pointing out that fruit juices and alcohol produce more methanol (then methanol can be converted to formaldehyde) than aspartame. But I don't you guys all up in arms about fruit juice or alcohol.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 08:50 AM

Quick update :

In meeting with college students over his budget, Paterson told the young New Yorkers not worry about his soda tax because the Legislature won't go for it. But he said it has served its purpose of raising awareness of childhood obesity.
    Paterson Admits Obesity Tax Plan Has Failed - wcbstv.com

Uber Member

Feb 13, 2009, 08:53 AM
    If he was worried about childhood obesity you'd think he would focus more on HFCS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bicarbonate of soda vs. Baking soda? [ 2 Answers ]

In Australia, we only have bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. The chocolate crinkles recipe I want to try out requires baking soda. Which can I use to substitute & how much?:confused:

Diet Soda [ 10 Answers ]

How good/bad is diet soda?

Can Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi ruined your diet? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, Iam Writing To You Because Iam One Of Those People That Have Been Trying To Lose Some Pounds.. I Have Been Cutting Off The Sweets, Fatting And Anything Else That Gains Weight.. I Also Have Been Doing Exercise.. my Only Question Is If Diet Coke Gains Weight Even Though If Its Diet?. My...

What is the difference of chemistry in diet soft drink and regular soft drinks [ 1 Answers ]

We have to make a vidoe of this for school and we are stuck. What is the difference of chemistry in diet soft drink and regular soft drinks?

Identifying baking soda and washing soda [ 2 Answers ]

Using a monoprotic acid, how would you find out which sample is baking soda and which sample is washing soda if you have unknown samples of each? I think it has something to do with how much CO2 each produces when reacted with the acid, but I don't know which produces more CO2 and which produces...

View more questions Search