Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    princetongirl818 Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2006, 01:06 PM
    Agh hair scare!
    OK lets start at the beginning.. well the beginning of my hair craze
    OK
    My hair is naturally a medium to light ugly brown but it bleaches out a ton in the sun

Well this year over spring break I went a little overboard with the sun-in and I hated it! So I dyed my hair back to the original color a medium brown with a slight red tint to it at first I was mad because it was a lot darker than I had planned but I have stayed like that with my hair like that for about a month

But now I want to go a golden blonde so I did my research then bought a box of at home hair color that was well golden blonde lol

But when I did the strand test for 25 min it did nothing so I did another strand test and left it in for 45 minutes it still did nothing my hair looked exactly the same so I decided my hair may be "grabbin" color which is what the directions said like if its been less than 3 months since you last dyed your hair so I did another strand test this one for 5 minutes like the box suggested but my hair still looked exactly that same

I plan on calling the company tomorrow but I really need help.
    Anyone have any idea as to why my hair is not taking in the color?

I will appreciate help mpre than anyone knows
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 9, 2006, 01:20 PM
    A third application of colorant or a color-altering substance in less than as many months is not kind to hair! You might feel lucky to even have hair at this point LOL. Color is tricky business. I would think some professional involvement would be needed to remove some of the previous effects first? Haven't your two attempts without getting the desired effect been a good lesson in proving to you that "how much and what to add in next" is over your head (pun intended :p )?

While I consider myself a smart woman, I don't know if I would be so brave venturing into the hair coloring world as you have been - part of being smart is knowing when you don't know and seeking those who do. Be sure to tell the company about the sun-in, in addition to the medium brown haircoloring you did, when you do call.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jul 9, 2006, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by princetongirl818
    ok lets start at the beginning.. well the beginning of my hair craze
    ok
    my hair is naturally a medium to light ugly brown but it bleaches out a ton in the sun

well this year over spring break i went a little overboard with the sun-in and i hated it! so i dyed my hair back to the original color a medium brown with a slight red tint to it at first i was mad bc it was alot darker than i had planned but i have stayed like that with my hair like that for about a month

but now i want to go a golden blonde so i did my research then bought a box of at home hair color that was well golden blonde lol

but when i did the strand test for 25 min it did nothing so i did another strand test and left it in for 45 minutes it still did nothing my hair looked exactly the same so i decided my hair may be "grabbin" color which is what the directions said like if its been less than 3 months since you last dyed your hair so i did another strand test this one for 5 minutes like the box suggested but my hair still looked exactly that same

i plan on calling the company tomorrow but i really need help.
    anyone have any idea as to why my hair is not taking in the color?

i will appreciate help mpre than anyone knows
    Sweetie, using a box of golden blonde color on brown hair will not make it blonde. If you apply a box blonde color on dark hair, there will be a slight change in color, and you will most likely end up with red hues and unwanted tones. In order to go from brown to blonde, minus the red, your hair will need to be bleached to a yellow stage, and then they toner is applied to achieve the color you want.

Jul 9, 2006, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyLady
    Sweetie, using a box of golden blonde color on brown hair will not make it blonde. If you apply a box blonde color on dark hair, there will be a slight change in color, and you will most likely end up with red hues and unwanted tones. In order to go from brown to blonde, minus the red, your hair will need to be bleached to a yellow stage, and then they toner is applied to achieve the color you want.
    OK but like the color my hair is right now is the same as the one on the box? Like the back where it shows what your hair will look like if you dye it my hair is in between two of the shades on the back so I mean doesn't that mean that it is dyeable?

And

If I bleache out my hair a little bit before I dye it would that make it work?

Thank you sooo much for your help I really appreciate it:-)

Jul 9, 2006, 06:58 PM
    I'm obviously new to the whole hair dyeing thing and I never really understood it thank you soooo much

I REALLY DO APPRECIATE IT!

Sry for yelling that but its true :-)
    -

Jul 9, 2006, 07:49 PM
    Coloring your hair at home can be a tricky thing. If you want to go from brown to golden blonde, it requires bleaching and toning.Your hair has to be bleached to a yellow stage, then you may apply a golden blonde color or toner. You should consider going to the salon to have it done. This kind of technique is difficult to do at home.

Jul 11, 2006, 07:20 AM
    So even if my hair is a color that the back of the box considers dyeable I still may not be able to dye it?

Jul 11, 2006, 10:36 AM
    I called the company and they said the reason my hair is not taking in the color is because it is already dyed so is there anyway I can strip the dye from my hair? Or if I like do the peroxide bleache things will that work? If anyone has any experience in bleaching out hair would you give me pointers?
    And. If I used lemon juice on my hair right now would it lighten my hair or make it a weird color because it is dyed?

And again thank you all so much for you help I really appreciate it :-)

Jul 11, 2006, 10:57 AM
    I'm thinking about using hydrogen peroxide to fade my hair does anyone have directions as in how much to use or the recipie? Lol like w/ shampoo? w/o shampoo or how long I should keep it in? Thank you in advance :-)
    -

Jul 13, 2006, 09:39 PM
    Princetongirl, I'm glad you've realized to that your hair won't come out like the picture on the box. Your hair is dark, and it's impossible to make your hair blonde with a box color without getting unwanted shades. I recommend that you go to a hairstylist for any change that's more than two shades away from your natural hair color. The hairstylist will do a double process on your hair, (bleaching and toning). Then you will get the golden blonde color you desire.

Jul 14, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Omg I'm so happy right now OK so for those of you in my situation (idk if anyone is ) lol but anyway here is what I did OK I put water and bleache inside my sink then like laid in a weird way with my hair in it which it burned my lungs head and eyes which freaked me out! So I hopped into the shower and got it all off right away then I got out of of the shower and wondered if it di anything so I blowdryed part of my hair to see how it looked and it was so pretty!! I was like freakin out!

So God bless

This is princetongirl818
    ::case closed::

Jul 14, 2006, 01:25 PM
    Soooooo happy!! Hehe OK I'm done thank you pretty lady you gave great advice!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 15, 2006, 10:37 AM
    :eek::eek::eek: Let me see if I uderstand this... You used regular HOUSEHOLD LAUNDRY bleach on your hair!!

LIKE CLOROX?? :eek::eek::eek:

OMG, not only is it dangerous for your hair, and you are lucky to have hair at all now, but it is extremely damaging to your lungs!!!!!

I really don't think PrettyLady intended for you to put "BLEACH" on your hair, the kind of bleach she was talking about is made specifically for HAIR.

If you begin to cough or are having a hard time breathing it is imperative that you go directly to an emergency room. Bleach is caustic (poison, dangerous) to the lungs. Just breathing the fumes can burn the inside of your lungs.

PLEASE. ANYONE READING THIS POST, DO NOT USE REGULAR HOUSEHOLD BLEACH ON YOUR HAIR AND REMEMBER THAT BREATHING THE FUMES IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH!!! PLEASE ALSO REMEMBER THAT BLEACH SHOULD NOT BE MIXED WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN WATER AS IT COULD CREATE TOXIC GASES!! PLEASE REMEMBER TO READ MANUFACTURERS WARNING LABEL PRIOR TO USE!!!
    -

Jul 15, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Princetongirl, I've told you more than once to go to the salon to get your hair done professionally. However, you've attempted to do it yourself. You've mentioned that you were going to use hydrogen peroxide to lighten your hair. Household bleach contains chlorine or sodium hypochlorite, and hair bleach is hydrogen peroxide. So I hope it was hydrogen peroxide that was use on your hair and not household bleach. Some people try to change their hair color with household bleach, but I strongly advise people not to do it. This kind of bleach should not be used on the skin and hair because it can cause serious burns. Hydrogen peroxide is what you use to bleach hair.

J 9, I've read the PM you've sent me. I answer questions to the best of my ability and knowledge. Most people that come to me for help usually follows my advice, but there are a few people that choose not to follow advise. We cannot make or force them to take our advice, we can only hope that they do the right thing.

Have a great weekend everyone. I'll be back to answer all your beauty and skin care questions when the weekend is over.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 15, 2006, 02:25 PM
    I agree PrettyLady, thanks for reading the PM. But we should also note that it is not the ordinary Peroxide that bleaches the hair. The one in the bottle bought at the chemist/store is diluted and used for an antiseptic.

I uderstand your position as I used to be a cosmotologist, 20 years ago, but before people do things on their own, they should ask professionals or people like PrettyLady who really knows what she is doing.

Jul 22, 2006, 02:41 PM
    Hi, its me again I am going to go get it professionaly done the bleach did lighten it up but not much.

Thank you so much j-9 was it ? I did not know bleach was likebad for you like that I had read online bleach works so I tried it but I wasn't thinking obvously
    Thank you so much for all you help

... no all I have to do is rake up he money to get it professionaly done

... and yes it was household bleach
    -

Jul 22, 2006, 03:36 PM
    I'm glad that you finally decided to take my advice and go to the salon. A double process is required. The hairstylist will bleach your hair to a yellow stage using hair peroxide, then he/she will apply a golden blonde toner to achieve the color you desire. Your hair will be one even color when you get it done at the salon.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 22, 2006, 04:27 PM
    I had a feeling you'd be ending up at a salon sooner or later. LOL I have sent more than one girlfriend to my local "secret weapon" hair expert Sally with the instructions to her to "fix this!" Sally knows her stuff and is worth every $$.

A big part of wisdom is knowing when to tap others for theirs!

Jul 23, 2006, 11:56 AM
    Can I get my hair highlighted at the same time that they dye it?
    And they said it would be about 60 dollars to dye my hair so can anyone give me a rough estimate on ow much it would cost for me to get my roots done every like month or two?

Thank you sooo much

Jul 23, 2006, 11:57 AM
    Thank you so much pretty lady and valinors sorrow

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

HELP: Going from Black Hair to Brown Hair [ 42 Answers ]

Ok, firstly, Id like to apologies as I realise there are many topics on this forum about this, however, they have only confused me more, as some say that it is not possible to do it without bleaching, and some say that there are hair dye removal products that can do it. I naturally have dark...

How to get rid of hair dye/keeping hair dye from fading [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have kind of a problem and no one knows what to do, especially me! I have beautiful dark dark brown hair. I don't know why, but I let someone highlight my hair blonde about 2 years ago. They turned orange, so I dyed my hair dark brown again to get my color back and I was happy. Within a...

Help, pregnancy scare! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm 16 and I was prescribed a combined pill for acne and for contraception... ive been on it 4 about 4months now.. and the last pack I took about my 5/6 last pill fell down the sink as I was about to put it in my mouth... so I left it and carried on the next day... I don't have regular sex with...

Security Scare [ 2 Answers ]

I'd be most grateful for any help and advice you could give me about a major problem. I'm on a course and have just found out that someone on this course (who's e-mailed me - and yes, I've opened attachments! ) mentioned, in passing, to someone else they'd e-mailed on the course: "I see you've...

View more questions Search