Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alysenlynn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Advice on above ground pools
    OK... We're going to take the plunge and get an above ground pool. I've been trying to do some priliminary research on the internet as we won't actually purchase until this fall. I have had little luck in finding a non-biased source of information on recommended brands and recommended types of above ground pools... If you know of any sources please send them my way

What we are looking for would be a pool that is going to last a long time. I'm not interested in a "throw away" investment. We do want an above ground pool. We are looking at 24 ft round as a general rule but would consider a 27 ft.

What brands would you recommend for quality and long life? What are the pros and cons of Resin vs Aluminum vs Steel and why?

Thanks
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jul 9, 2006, 09:03 PM
    I think most above ground pools are close in quality. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two companies make all of them.
    A few conclusions I have come to in owning a few:
    You may be replacing skimmers, coping, hoses, pumps, etc during the life of the pool, so keep in contact with the pool supplier (hoping that it's not far away) and that they will continue to stock your needed items.
    A properly prepared foundation (sand) will extend the life of your liner, as will keeping vegetation from growing around the perimeter. (the roots of weeds make holes in the liner).
    A thicker gauge liner is best buy and should last longer.
    Stick with the manufactorers recommendation on pump size. Oversizing the pump will not filter the water as thoroughly.
    The best cover I've purchased doesn't last more than 3 years.
    Having a bottom drain is better than not having one.
    hilites Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2006, 11:08 AM
    Hi, We are in the process of installing a pool at this very moment. First I will tell you if you can afford it get the company you buy the pool from to install it. I also heard from someone it's the way to take care of it that makes it last. So the original purchase is the least of our worries, we bought ours from Sears it has a heavy duty liner and an upgraded pump. We paid around 3000.00 canadian good luck in your search... hilites

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chlorine for pools? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a pool at home and I having trouble keeping the costs down and I don't think I can afford it! Is there a way to alter the pH and chlorine levels cheaper than buying those expensive branded chemicals?

Shower stall pools water in one corner [ 4 Answers ]

My house is 15 years old and built on a slab. The shower stall is an enclosed corner unit made of fiberglass (I think all one unit) enclosed with glass. The slope of the floor of the stall has always allowed water to pool in the corner instead of flowing easily down the drain located in the...

Labor Pools [ 1 Answers ]

I need general information on starting a labor pool in the state of Florida. Specifically insurance concerning "employees".

Water pools around furnace when a/c runs [ 1 Answers ]

A couple of times this summer I have noticed a pool of water around my furnace while my air conditioner is on. I have a central air conditioner and the air is distributed through my house via the furnace blower and conduits. Today, I had some time to poke around a bit and it seems that the pool is...

View more questions Search