Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Raleigh Whalers Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2006, 04:18 AM
    Background Display stuck in "Stretch"
    My WindowsXP Background will not display in Center or Tile modes. The screen is white. I read that .htm documents are displayed in this way (Stretch only) but don't know what I did so that all images only display in Stretch mode. System Restore is no help.
    Here_To_Help- Jon Posts: 97, Reputation: 26

Jul 9, 2006, 02:28 PM
    Right click on a blank space on youu desktop and click on Properties from the menu.. then on Desktop. You will see a "position" drop down which is where you can manage this. Ive attached a clip.
    Attached Images

Jul 10, 2006, 07:28 AM
    Thanks for answering, Jon B, but maybe I wasn't clear. Choosing Center or Tile at this point results in a white screen, seeming like an overlay that can't be deleted, as the Centered or Tiled image CAN be seen for a few seconds on shutdown. I've been living with this for a long time, and System Restore only goes back a few months. I appreciate the try. -Raleigh Whalers
    kylew Posts: 10, Reputation: 6

Jul 10, 2006, 01:00 PM
    How big is the image you are using for the background image and what file format is it ?

Jul 10, 2006, 02:35 PM
    I change the image quite often from My Pictures files, they are usually at least 600 X 600 pixels and usually jpg's. Is the fact that .htm documents can only be stretched a clue? - Thanks for logging in - Raleigh Whalers
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2006, 12:48 AM
    It could be. Let's try something. From the desktop properties screen (as shown in Jon's picture), click on the "Customise Desktop" button. From here, click on the "Web" tab. In the white box labelled "Web pages:" there may be one of two items with a checkbox. Are any of these checked? If so, try unchecking them all and OK'ing the changes. See if that helps.

Jul 11, 2006, 02:19 AM
    I went to the "Web" box you suggested, LTheobald, and found 5 choices: My Current Home Page; 4 image descriptions from Documents and Settings which I deleted. None were checked, however. It didn't help, though I didn't restart. Thank you .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Can not open "Display" item on Control Panel HELP ! [ 2 Answers ]

When trying to open the "display" applet inside Control Panel I get a message stating that the system administrator has disabled the miniapp "video" on control panel. I am the administrator om my Windows XP computer and did not do this. Can anyone help me plesae ? Thanks : Mauro

Emulate a 14" display on a 17" monitor [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently changed my old 14" computer monitor to a new ViewSonic 17" (16" display) monitor. I design websites and I want to be able to emulate the *actual size* and resolution of a 14" monitor at 800x600 in my new monitor, to see what the rest of the net surfers see when viewing my pages. Is...

View more questions Search