Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2008, 06:23 PM

Expert means they have been members for quite a while, posted lots of responses to questions, and have been very helpful to people in need. Basically. And hvac1000 has a lot of technical resources.
    maiden usa Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Dec 13, 2008, 06:40 PM

Thanks everyone for your input, I'm going to stay at my sister's tonight and try again tomorrow.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 13, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    Ouch, that hurts, lol. Im online right now. If the other experts can help you more with the info you have given, I would call them Gods.
    Sister is that you again? I told you not to email me too much since it is upsetting saint Peter and Paul who is sitting next to me.
    Signed God. LOL
    Attached Images

MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 13, 2008, 09:57 PM

Wow! Just... wow!

Dec 13, 2008, 10:10 PM
    Like the James Brown song sometimes I Just Can't Help Myself.

Dec 13, 2008, 10:18 PM

Maye you should try harder :p

Dec 14, 2008, 09:14 AM

I'm sorry if I offended anyone last night, I'm new to this whole thing and didn't know how it works. I see that one of the official experts is here with his team of saints and nuns so I'm feeling pretty good about my chances for a miracle today. It is 44 degrees in the house. I called the number for Walters about an hour ago and they told me someone would call back but so far no one has. I really need help if at all possible.
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 10:15 AM

Try this: set the fan selector at the thermostat to on and see if the blower runs. This will check the power supply, transformer, and blower motor.

Dec 14, 2008, 10:18 AM
    No one was offended. The regulars here including myself have to vent once in awhile for some fun. KC13 asked you to do a simple test. Post back with the results.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07 View Post
    Since when does a biology expert answer heating questions?
    I see don't see anyone holding back about answering questions about evolution. ;)

Dec 14, 2008, 04:54 PM

I tried what kc13 said earlier but nothing. Walters finally called and came out. They charged me $135.00 to come out, looked at the furnace for about 3 minutes and said it was shot and I need a new one. The guy tried to get me to sign a purchase contract for a new furnace for $5800.00 but I told him I have to think about it. He seemed very pushy, I don't trust him, how does he know my furnace is shot when he barely looked at it? This is just what I was afraid of. How can a furnace be working fine one day and be shot the next? Does this sound right or am I about to get screwed?
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 05:23 PM

Three minutes? Seems like a very quick judgement unless the tech has x-ray vision... did he offer any explanation as to why the unit quit working? Sometimes intuition is dismissed as paranoia. Perhaps another evaluation is in order.
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 05:32 PM

Does the fan come on? I didn't see the answer to that question. In other words, is it an electrical problem?

Dec 14, 2008, 05:54 PM

Nothing happened when I tried the fan switch. The repair man didn't say anything except it was shot, time for a new one. All he did was take off the top cover and look at the model sticker inside, turned off some switch in the furnace and put the cover back. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't feel like he really did anything to even try to fix it. No tools or testers or anything. Now I'll have to pay someone else to come out again and maybe tell me the same thing. Something just doesn't feel right about this.

Dec 14, 2008, 06:06 PM

You're right. Something isn't right about this. I would contest the bill and call the service company first thing on Monday morning and ask for a DETAILED explanation as to why their tech condemned your furnace. Either report back with their diagnosis or call a different service company. If you do call in another company and they are able to repair your system then do not pay the first bill. There is a remote chance that the guy that came today was pissed about being called out on a Sunday.

Dec 14, 2008, 06:17 PM

Okay, so maybe I'm not crazy or paranoid, thank you MarkwithaK. I suppose I'll try another company tomorrow, but I already paid the other guy so that's water under the bridge. I don't expect something for nothing but I don't want to get ripped off either.

Dec 17, 2008, 06:59 PM

I had another heating company come out today, and within 15 minutes they found and fixed the problem. There is a fuse by a switch on the ceiling, he said it was loose and the tip burned. He put in a new switch fuse combo and turned the gas switch back on (the one the other guy turned off) and it's working great now. Thanks to all of you experts who took the time to try and help me. I might have been robbed if not for the supportive feedback.
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 07:29 PM

Maybe the first guy was really a biology expert in disguise... :rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 08:16 PM

Nah, HVAC expert for sure. That's why he charged $75 to turn off the gas. I've had guys do that too.
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 08:23 PM

HVAC expert? Sounds more like a sales novice...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Aux Heat stays on on Robertshaw 9620 controlled heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

The batteries died on one of the 3 Rbtshaw 9620s on my heat pump system. When I changed them the unit would not program, so I reset it to factory settings. Now it is programmable, but the zone it controla does not respond, and the AUX electric heat stays on. Anyone know what's up? Had to throw...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Hunter 44155C Wiring - A/C turns on during heat cycle or heat will not shut off [ 0 Answers ]

Trying this again with the correct thermostat specs. Sorry, guys! It's a Hunter 44155C and the wires I have going into it are: White - W/B Red - Rh Green - G Yellow - Y1 Jumper from Rh-Rc

Advantages of converting from propane heat to electric heat for home use [ 1 Answers ]

When is it an advantage to convert from propane heat to electric heat in a residential home? Also could you give me a rough idea of what it costs to make this transition? Thank you. :confused:

View more questions Search