Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    selfhelp007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2008, 09:44 AM
    How to put the chain on the sprocket
    On my overhead Garage door opener, the chain has come out of the sprocket. I can see how to put it back, but not able to pull it with my hands to put it over it, does anyone know of any tools which will help me do that. Or is there a trick in doing that.

Thanks
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2008, 09:27 PM

It is very hard to put a chain on a sprocket without some kind of adjustment. You will not be able to strech the chain with some kind of a tool. There should be somekind of an adjustment that you could loosen and put the chain on and then tighten to make it tight again.
    MRBlizzard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 10:24 PM
    I solved this problem this evening. The tension can be tremendous, and you're pulling against it. It goes as 1/sin(a), where a is the little angle of an almost tight chain. You know how tangent goes to infinity, so does the tension.

This requires some rope, 15 feet and two 2 feet lengths. An old coat hanger with pretty thick wire. And a wood clamp: the kind that's 18" or 24" long and is closed by squeezing a trigger/handle.

The idea is to relax the chain, set the chain on the sprocket, and tighten the chain.

So, going down the length of the chain and wire, I tied 3 or 4 loops, with the 15 foot clothes line, around the chain and wire to hold them up against pole. There was enough slack for the chain to pull through the loops. This relives much of the tension.

I made two hooks out of thick coat hanger wire. Each hook had one end bent to go through a chain link, and, on the other end, a larger hook to tie onto the 2 foot rope. (I think a loop of coat hanger wire is a bit stronger and more secure.) The idea is to relax the chain, set the chain on the sprocket, and tighten the chain.

I made loops out of the 2 foot ropes. Each loop went around different arms of the wood clamp.
    Each loop hooked through one of the coat hanger hooks.

One hook (smaller hook end) went through the eye of the wire cable, where it attaches to the chain release mechanism. The other hook went through the chain. When the wood clamp is closed, the hooks are about 15" apart, and the mechanism of hook, rope, wood clamp, rope, hook, has taken up the tension and put slack at the tensioning bolt. (I put in a keeper rope between the two loops just in case the wood clamp let go.)

Remove the tensioning nut, and back the other nut up toward the chain.

Now release the wood clamp 12" to 14". (At this point, I put a loop of chord around the bar and clamp to bear the weight of the wood clamp.) The chain is going to have about a foot of slack. If this isn't enough slack, you can release the wood clamp further.

Go to the garage door opener, and put the chain on the sprocket. Save yourself some trouble and make sure the chain is going through the plastic chain guide.

Tighten the wood clamp. Put the nut back on, and take advantage of the chain slackness to finger tighten the nut.

You still have to tighten the chain, and readjust the garage door opener limits. (Those racheting box wrenches are wonderful for tightening the nut.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Genie Garage Door Opener - Gear and Sprocket [ 4 Answers ]

We have an old genie model SP99 garage door opener. The motor stills works, the plastic gear still turns but the door will not open or close without assistance. Could the chain sprocket 'slip' when the gear is turning? When giving assistance the chain does move down the track like normal to it's...

Need new chain. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Honda Transalp. It has a 600cc engine. The chain is just about gone and the sprockets are okay at 14,000+ miles. What is the most practical way to replace the chain by myself. Is there a tool to buy and what grade of chain do I want? Thanks cz

Chain saw [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 14" chain saw but haven't used it in several years. I put in gas and oil and it started right up. I changed the saw blade and added gear and sprocket oil. Now the saw smokes and drips oil. Also the blade doesn't come to a complete stop when the trigger is released. I moves at a slow pace...

View more questions Search