Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whathree Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2008, 07:41 AM
    Can/how do I install ceramic tile over Formica in a shower stall?
    I would like to install ceramic tile over a sound formica surface in a shower stall. Any help out there?
    whathree
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 04:17 PM

28 years in trade
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 04:26 PM
    Formica is usually for counter tops. A cement board " wonded board" is used under tile foe wet conditions. This way if the grouted tile has water getting through it the wall wno rot. You can put tile over a stable surface or over other tile but showers are to wet. I would remover and cut out the "formica" and use the hard board. Board cheap New tile falling apart is not. Hope this helps
    whathree Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 07:11 AM
    Thanks. I should have told you more details. The shower now is a "stall" with a shower pan (3'X4'). That has formica on the 3 walls and a "grouted "corner" tile in the 2 corners and at the intersection of the formica at the pan. Formica is celing to floor. It has been there for 30 years and the walls are solid wilth no leaks to the walls behind. I have been told both yes and no to the question... I am leaning on the side of caution and will probably screw and glue the backer board to the formica, then tile.
    Bill
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 07:25 PM

P.S. don't forget to seal your grout after the grout drys. It's a little squezes bottle and has a little brush acttached to the end of the bottle They make grout the does seal but most all grout needs clear sealer and years later another sealing is good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adhesive? New ceramic tile install - one inch hex shape sheets [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I am putting in a brand new full bath where there had been just a half bath.. I am done the roughing in and the framing, cementboard, sheetrock, etc. - and I have a question about the tile installation. For the floor, I chose an older style of tile that is the white octagon/hexagon...

Install a ceramic tile ceiling [ 6 Answers ]

I am putting tile on the ceiling bathroom tub area. I am putting a 2X2 tile ceiling in, is there a specific adhesive to use or just the regular tile adhesive? How do you keep it up before it cures?

What to install UNDER ceramic floor tile [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I've read about 100 different theories on what (if anything) you are supposed to put under ceramic floor tile (i.e. cement board, underlayment, etc.). We need to install our tile in the basement (which is currently just a concrete floor). If it matters, there are only a couple of VERY small...

Ceramic tile shower pan on concrete floor [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to do anything special like I would if it was on a wooden floor on this new shower I want to build in my basement. I am tiling the floor and 2 walls... neo-angle style.. The drain is 12 inchesfrom each of the back walls... this is my first foray into the HELP DESK... I searched awhile but...

View more questions Search