Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaDave Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2006, 04:59 PM
    Bringing Wire into Unfinished Garage
    Hello All,

I haven't seen anything on this topic and since I'm trying to do it, I thought I'd ask.

I'm running two circuits into my unfinished garage via my attic. Both will be homeruns to the first outlet. My question is how do I get them through the drywall and still maintain its fire resistance intact?

If I use back-to-back metal boxes, how do I ground them if both wires are pass throughs? If I use PVC conduit how do I fill the remainder of the conduit after I put the Romex through to stop airflow? I've read about fire stop putty but haven't been able to find it.

Any help would be appreciated.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2006, 06:34 AM
    Here is a popular brand, DAP, but does not say where you can purchase it:

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=297

Ace Hardware has fire sealant, but wants $90.00 for a tube:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...w=fire+sealant

We buy ours at local electrical distributors for about $12.00 a tube.

I cannot find any sold at Lowe's or Home Depot at their websites, which I find unusual.

If you can find a Grainger's or Fastenal, they will have several styles and brands in stock.

Using back to back boxes in the same bay between two studs is not allowed unless the metal boxes are fire rated for this purpose. These are used in commercial jobs only when absolutely necessary.

You can make a small hole through the drywall, and seal aournd the cable with fire caulk, a PVC sleeve is not necessary. If you do you a sleeve, seal around the sleeve, and fill up any void inside the sleeve after pulling the cable.

Hope this helps.
    CaDave Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2006, 09:26 AM
    Yes, that answers that question. It also explains why the home inspector didn't say anything about the one existing cable through that wall.

Thanks again for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bringing customers to my Hair Salon [ 2 Answers ]

My hair salon has been opened for a year. I NEED HELP!!!!!!! BRING IN NEW CUSTOMERS. I am also having a problem attracting new stylists; most of the stylists i have had have been very young and not dependable. I need help fast, like yesterday. I need cheap ways to advertise. I've handed out...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

Law regarding bringing kids from India [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! This question is regarding my brother. About 15 days ago my brother and his family went to India for vacation. My brother and his wife have Green Card and their children aged 7 and 2 are US citizens. 5 days ago, While visiting his in-law's house, my brother and his wife had an argument. After...

Bringing a new puppy home [ 3 Answers ]

I bought an AKC chocolate lab last night brought her home tried to get her to go to the bathroom and she never did put her in the crate she sleep all night when I got up to go to work I took her outside and she still hasn't gone is this normal?

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

View more questions Search