Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 18, 2009, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Mean Alty is coming out to play Starby.

I understand the need to walk away, it is depressing, but, and don't hit me, but, the animals in the shelters right now can't take a break, they don't have a voice, that's were we come in.

Okay, take a swing, because it's really easy to say what I just said, but if you're human, caring, loving, yes, all of this stuff can get to be too much.

Hug?
    I just stomped on your foot! Did you feel it? :p I'm not giving up, just taking a break! Even the dogs get a pee break right? (If they're lucky!)

Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 18, 2009, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    I just stomped on your foot! Did ya feel it? :p I'm not giving up, just taking a break! Even the dogs get a pee break right? (If they're lucky!)

Ouch, that was you? Bad girl, go to your corner! ;)

Okay, take a pee break, but that's it! :D
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Jan 18, 2009, 04:48 PM

I think that cities shouldn't just give slap on the wrist rules concering breeding. You should have to get a permit to breed at all. Most places do not even reinforce the pet and breeding laws they do have. If we had more dedicated officials then progress could actually be made. If as a society we educated our children on these matters then perhaps they wouldn't grow into ingorant adults that either don't know or don't care.
    Pets Expert

Jan 18, 2009, 04:53 PM

Silver, had to spread the rep. I agree.

People have to get a license to fish, a license to hunt, a license to own a dog, but not a license to breed?

Anyone wanting to breed their pet should be required to take a class, pass a test and then pay a fee in order to get a license. If they breed without a license they should be fined or thrown in jail.

Ooooh, if we were running the world, what a wonderful place it would be! :)

Jan 18, 2009, 05:03 PM

A license test would guarantee that alteast the want to be breeder understands how its done, and a home environment check in order to get this license would keep even knowledgeable puppy millers from being able to obtain that right. I mean if bored cops can sit on a corner for 4 hours, then surely they aren't too busy to stop and ask and puppy seller they notice to show a license? No liscensce = hefty fee. It would slash down the "Breeders" tremedously, too mch trouble for most of them, and benefit the city as well as the dogs! Too bad I'm not a politician.
    Pets Expert

Jan 18, 2009, 05:17 PM

Too bad I'm not a politician.
    Run, I'll vote for you! :)

There's got to be a way we can get this in motion. Maybe a petition, maybe a letter to the right people. Maybe a sit it, I'll bring the signs and the beer! ;)

There just has to be something we can do, but what? I know that if we all put our heads together, do our research, figure out a plan, well, we can do it. So, let's do it! You can't win if you don't try!

How about it everyone? Any plans on how to go about this?
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 18, 2009, 05:34 PM

Okay, the States are forming a new Government as we speak! There are new people, and the US Gov't are trying to make a change. I don't know who to send letters to, but maybe we could find out! Alty and I are of course in Canada, so we would need to find out the correct way to do this here. I don't think getting a lot of signatures would be a big problem (I bet even from some of the backyard breeders, that are trying to do a good deed when their peers are watching) but we would need to know where to send it, so that it gets the most attention.

I can't stand the political arena, but if that is what we have to do to lobby for these laws to be put in place, then I guess that is what needs to happen.

Any ideas?. I know it's not an easy task!
    Pets Expert

Jan 18, 2009, 05:39 PM

I'm going to do some research, I'm sure Judy would too, and she has a lot of experience with research, and her legal background would do us a lot of good too.

It won't be a quick fix, heck, it may not work, but, if we try, that's better than nothing, right?

If we all put our heads together, work our butts off, well, we may be able to change the world, at least for the dogs out there.

Let's do it, I'm in! :)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 18, 2009, 05:49 PM

Lets use our BCBW!! and get er done! I know we won't save the "dog world," but we could do something more than just taking a back seat and b*tchin about it! :D WOOT WOOT!!
    Pets Expert

Jan 18, 2009, 05:51 PM

Yup, we have the power to do it, we just have to get off our arses!

I'm on it Starby, I'll do what I can, I know you will too, and so will everyone else here. We can do it if we try, we just have to try!

Okay, pep talk over, now it's time to act! :)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 18, 2009, 05:55 PM

Check out this site for starters! What we can do!

What You Can Do
    Pets Expert

Jan 18, 2009, 06:06 PM

Wow, that's a great site Starby, very informative.

I'm signing up now, yup, this is a good first step.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 18, 2009, 06:23 PM

If everyone that visits this thread just takes a few minutes to do just one of two of the things mentioned in the link, it will help a great deal! People are busy, but something that only takes a minute, that can help countless dogs, has got to make you feel that you have at least contributed in some fashion.

Everyone has a minute to spare!

Jan 18, 2009, 07:02 PM

What's sad is that I've people give me a confused look and ask me what a puppy mill was before. If there were more sites like that one, and if more people would take the time to look at the ones there are, then it could help. I find it hard to imagine the monster that can look at videos and images like that and not feel incredibly sad.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 18, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxkit View Post
    Whats sad is that I've people give me a confused look and ask me what a puppy mill was before. If there were more sites like that one, and if more people would take the time to look at the ones there are, then it could help. I find it hard to imagine the monster that can look at videos and images like that and not feel incredibly sad.
    I agree! Some people look at you like you are nuts! They haven't got a clue what a puppymill is! Actually a lot of people I know didn't have a clue about dog fighting, until Vick came along... and they think puppymills (if they even know what they are) are places that they have in foreign or third world countries! :rolleyes: It's really funny how someone can sit and watch a movie like "Homeward Bound" for instance, and sit and cry because these trained dogs that are acting in Hollywood Movies, can't find their way home! There are all of these people that will bawl their eyes out when it's done by Hollywood! But when a dog can't find it's home in their "own backyard" they walk away from it. It isn't a well scripted movie anymore! It's reality! They can turn off the movie and rewind it, but they can't turn off real life!

Jan 18, 2009, 07:41 PM

I think that dog fighters should just be thrown into a pit with each other and forced to fight for THEIR lives. The things those mosters do, it makes me sick to even think about it. It kid of frustates me, how the Vick case is the image of dog fighting. Its all people know about. It was around a long time before he got caught. It was no less of a problem, and it is still no less of a problem now. There are still thousands of dog fighters out there, hundreds of dogs probably fighting this very minute.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 18, 2009, 08:06 PM

Exactly! It may have brought about a little more public awareness because of Vick, but it sure didn't shut them down! They make more money with their bets to stop it!

They really should be thrown in a ring, WITH the dogs that they've trained to kill! Let people bet on them! Better yet, do NOT attend these events, and give the thousands of dollars they're betting with to the shelters.

Okay, I know how much of a stupid statement that was, and that it will likely never happen. But I still think educating people is what we need to do.

I wish the "powers that be" would not just focus on Vick because of his status. It raised awareness because of his "celebrity" standing, but it didn't get into the "joe" on the corner who does this for a living! Focus on the little guys too! The guys that are doing the "backyard" fighting for profit!

I wish that in Michael Vicks sentence, they would have allowed him access only to video's of the dogs that are being abused. I wish he would have to watch that 24/7 until it was burned into his brain! Then when he actually is released, should have to do community service, and spend time in shelters, spend time with the people that try their best to save dogs everyday, and also go around to schools and tell kids what a horrible thing he has done, and what THEY can do to change it! Only then should that man be able to have his rights as a citizen back!

Jan 18, 2009, 08:18 PM

What really gets to me and eats at my core are the scums that still support Vick. The ones who aren't bothered by the pain and suffering, and murder because they are "just dogs". One of the best videos I ever saw was one that a firend showed me. Several guys were trying to get their pitt bull to attack a poddle and hitting and kicking it because it wouldn't attack, when suddenly the dog turned and the last thing you see is the camera man getting taken down. That was just deserts.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 18, 2009, 08:59 PM

Here are just a couple examples.

YouTube - Illegal dogfights in Alaska

... and this next one makes me twice as mad! Pay close attention to what the "victim" says at the start of the clip! Neither parties are responsible pet owners! I don't feel sorry for this man that claims to be a victim. Does he look like a registered breeder to you? He looks like a breeder of some sort... but I'm not sure of what?!

YouTube - Pit Bull Attacks Man Walking His two leashed Huskies
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2009, 10:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxkit View Post
    The ones who aren't bothered by the pain and suffering, and murder becuase they are "just dogs".
    Oh, dintcha know? Dogs don't feel pain! That's what the owners and trainers tell the kids so they will enjoy the exciting fighting even more!! "Yeah, that's blood all over that dog, but he doesn't feel a thing. He's just a dumb animal."

And if these people can say that about dogs, it's only a short hop to say the same thing about other people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What will you do when the dead don't stay. Dead [ 6 Answers ]

I know I know, a lot of people are asking"is this kid serious" well, I am haha... What would you do to survive a Zack outbreak... I will Post my answer later on ounce I've thought about it... PLEASE BE PRACTICAL with your answers. Don't say you would get a tank because most likely there...

Game Show Host game [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of an old electroinc board game that features a talking game show host? It was released in the late 70s or in the 80s. I thought the name of it was "Game Show Host" but I can't find it anywhere. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

They Want You Dead [ 2 Answers ]

I was given a DVD of the film/documentary by Alex Jones called, "ENDGAME." What a history of the Bilderberg Group - I knew they existed but never knew the exact name. Any thoughts? Truth or fiction (concerning this group)? Agenda of this group? If the film is correct... what do you see...

Need definitions for dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines [ 2 Answers ]

I need help with the definitions of dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines for socioloy class . Please help

Is my PC Dead? [ 1 Answers ]

We had a power outage earlier this week due to a raccoon electrocution in our city's substation. All of our home electronics are fine EXCEPT for our DELL 5100 computer tower. The monitor works, and the indicator light for internet hookup is lit. We just cannot turn on the computer. We called...

View more questions Search