Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hamptonbanzon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 09:12 PM
    Asperger's syndrome - stimming
    Do you know what I can do to decrease my son's stimming? He shakes his hands a lot.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 13, 2008, 12:56 AM

Hi Hampton, not understanding the 'stimming' you mentioned I googled and came up with many many websites, some good some not so good but you should take a look for yourself by entering 'stimming' and just try and see if there is something there that will help your son. Some have newsletters you can subscribe to.

Good luck!

Ms tickle
    jelly1bean Posts: 50, Reputation: 8

Oct 25, 2010, 04:04 AM
    Came across this question, not sure if you have found an answer yet. Not really sure what you could do to "stop" him exactly, according to Wiki - stimming "For hyposensitive people, it may provide needed nervous system arousal, releasing beta-endorphins. For hypersensitive people, it may provide a "norming" effect, allowing the person to control a specific sense, and is thus a soothing behavior." so not sure if it would be a good idea to try to "stop him" it is his way of coping. You may want to see if you give him things like a stress ball and squeeze toy to see if that might turn his interest. Also, if he is in school he should be in therapy and I would ask them on ideas, as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tourette's Syndrome [ 2 Answers ]

My father and I have Tourette's so I can only assume it's a genetic thing. The only good thing about it our syndrome is that it's not anything violent. Just a series of annoying tics and gestures and whatnot. Whether it be blinking, moving my ears, expanding my nostrils, raising my eyebrows, it...

Asperger's ,Friendship and Relationship [ 35 Answers ]

Is it ever possible to have a loving relationship with a person who has Asperger's Syndrome. He is kind, and in his way shows a kind of love. There is definite chemistry but is as if his feelings are "locked away" is either scared of them or does not know how to react to them. He seems...

De George Syndrome [ 11 Answers ]

I am a psychotherapist who has a patient who has been diagnosed with "De George Syndrome". I am looking for information concerning the symptoms and the management as well as prognosis of the syndrome.

Asperger's, ODD, and Sensory Integration Dysfunction [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone here have any experience with any (or all) of the above? I have a 5 and a 9 year old who each exhibit symptoms of any or all of the above. I know that the comorbity incidence among each is fairly high, so we're working on discerning which might be the primary. Just wondering if...

Asperger's Syndrome in Adults [ 3 Answers ]

I am wondering if a person I know is an adult with Asperger's Syndrome. He has some but not all of the listed characteristics--outbursts where he expects the listener to know what he's been thinking, hypersensitivity to sound and smell, self-injurious behavior such as picking his nose and his...

View more questions Search