Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wonderme24 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 10:12 PM

Well I am about to finish my associates in business. I don't like business though I don't know who convinced me to take that. I am horrible at math as well though. I took college algebra, first level algebra, and calculus in high school. What I am thinking about doing since I really can't just quit my job and go to school full time at the moment is getting my bachelors in human services online. When I am done with that hopefull I can get a part time job that may pay me more than my current full time job and start my pre-reqs. And when I am done with that I will get into the nursing school from there. I will probably be about 32 when I am done if it takes me about 5 years after I am done with my bachelors, the reasong why I wanted to get started NOW is because I am thinking of maybe going further than nurse and become a doctor and that would take me about 8 years or more. So if I do what I am thinking and then I decide to get into medicine school I would be about 40 when I become a doctor and I think that is too far. I do think that being a young doctor takes away a lot of the trust patients might have in you specially the elderly don't trust young doctors. But 40 is in 15 and a half years! But I have to do what is best for my family because I no longer come first, my son does.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 05:53 AM

You know, you will be 40 anyway (which isn't old for a doctor actually). Don't let it stop you from getting started on a path you would like to follow.

I thought of the same thing when I went back to school for teaching after my kids were a bit older. Kept thinking about how old I would be by the time I finished, but then I realized that I was going to be that age anyway, might as well be that age and teaching! If I put it off, I would only regret not having done it when I could have and then I would be even older!

You just don't know what can happen in those years, things may go smoothly and you find you can take things a bit faster once in awhile. You may find you enjoy and excel in a career along the way and decide to stay with that.

Good luck... it will be work, but when all is said and done, it will seem as though the time went fairly quickly (most of the time!) and you will be proud of your achievements.

Just take it one goal at a time... one step at a time... that way you can enjoy the accomplishment of education while still enjoying time with your family... :)

Dec 17, 2008, 11:43 AM

I am just scared I want to make the right decision about this. It is also scary to think that I am going to be in school for most part of my life, but if it si worth it I will do it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 12:07 PM
    It's very worth it! The paycheck is more than I ever expected, and the perks... well, I've been off for a week now and will still have a full paycheck. <eg>

Dec 17, 2008, 08:05 PM

It's so exiting! I just want to become a nurse already! I wish I could just get started now! But I have to do what is best for us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human Services [ 2 Answers ]

I go to UOP. My instructor ask us to answer these question. I am in Building Community in Organizations BSHS/462 class Anyone took this class before? 1. changes affecting the Human Service Field are considered. As described in the Online Text, what are some of the major types of forces...

Health and Human Services [ 1 Answers ]

Identify and describe two types of traditional approaches to fund development, and two types of entrepreneurial approaches to fund development.

Human services [ 1 Answers ]

How can knowing the cost per output and cost per outcome benefit a human services agency?

View more questions Search