Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yogiP Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Excruciating pain
    I had a root canal three days ago and daily the pain increases. The endodontist prescribed an antibiotic and 600 mg ibuprophen (spelling?).

The pain is just getting worse and worse even after taking the antibiotic. If I had known this I would have just dealt with the dull tootache instead... which was a piece of cake compared to the pain I'm in now...

It seems that it began to hurt more after I went back the next day but a different dentist saw me and she ground it down. (which she ground down to nothing I might add.)

Should I be really concerned at this point or give the antibiotic a chance to work?

All I know is that right now I can barely stand this pain and would like to just go to the hospital. Although I realize there's not much they would be able to do I suppose.

It feels like it's hitting a nerve. Its so sensitive that when my cheek moves while talking it slightly hits the tooth and the pain is terrible. I can't even touch the side of my face. I'm really, really worried that something is really, really wrong. This excruciating pain has begun today. Its been steadily becoming worse but right now its almost unbearable. I do have some deep pockets in some of my teeth along w/peridontal disease. Not sure how deep the pocket is on the tooth that was done... could this be the source of all this pain? Could smoking also be contributing? I'm at wits end. There's not much I can do now except wait... but here it is Friday night and I just want to rip the tooth right out of my mouth. Any input would be so much appreciated. I 'm getting tired of complaining.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 13, 2008, 01:02 AM

At times during a root canal the wall of the tooth is broken open into the bone (called a root canal perforation). This could be the cause of your pain. I guess the other dentist ground your tooth down because she thoughtt he occlusion was the problem. The antibiotics was the proper procedure but I would get a second opinon and more x rays to determine if the bottom of the tooth has been compromised. In the meantime you probably need something stronger then ibuprophen but three days is too much pain !
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2008, 04:46 AM

I'd call the dental office, they should have an emergency contact number on their answering machine. You could also call the hospital emergency and ask if they have a dentist on call.

Dec 13, 2008, 04:21 PM
    hello,

if it is in fact a root canal perforation, what happens next. Does it eventually heal itself or does it require oral surgery? The endodontist took an x ray when she was finished with the root canal... wouldnt she have seen if this had happened? :o(

the tooth is not as painful as it was last night but I'm taking advils and the antibiotic regularly.

I see my regular dentist on Tuesday. Will he be able to see if this is the problem or should I return to the endodontist.

The second endodontist ground the tooth because I told her it was cutting my tongue. When she was finished I barely had a tooth left in one corner. I was in minimal pain which they said was normal but after that visit with her is when the pain became increasingly worse.

I am going away for the holidays next week. Will flying aggravate this situation even more.

thanks for your concern and input. I'll keep you posted! Wish me luck!
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2008, 04:30 PM

Smoking can slow healing, so yes it's an indirect contributor to health problems, especially gum disease. But it is not directly causing your problem now. You should not be in this much pain. Glad it is better. Flying could possibly aggravate the pain. I've seen that happen with tooth pain.

I really think you should get a second opinion from a dentist in another town if your own dentist is not able to resolve the problem quickly. It's also good to ask for pain killers on an emergency basis. Dentists can and do prescribe those.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2008, 05:45 PM

Do not smoke, eat chocolate or coffee until it heals.

Perforation usually means the tooth gets pulled. Yep, root canals hurt.

Dec 13, 2008, 06:35 PM

if it were a root canal perforation, wouldn't the dentist have seen it in the x-ray after she was finished with the root canal?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 13, 2008, 07:04 PM

No perforations don't necessarily mean the tooth gets pulled. And, no she may not have noticed the perforation because was not looking for it. Perforations can be repaired with many substances they use for root canals but the level of infection is a key issue. Absolutely no infection can be present in the bone under the perforation and a minute cleaning of the area is necessary and a series of antibiotics.

If you are still having pain, you either have to get a second opinion, or go back to her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden excruciating burn pain top of foot [ 1 Answers ]

I've had some tingling/numbing on top of my right foot over the past few days. Today suddenly I had painful pins/needles.. Then about 2 / 3 hours later, it turned to a intense burning pain lasting 1-3 minutes. I am at work, and seated. Have not had any injury to foot.. I do experience some...

Breast pain, lower abdomin pain [ 15 Answers ]

I was supposed to ovulated on Feb. 4th, and my husband and I had sex 5 days in a row with Feb. 4th being the 3rd out of the 5 days. It is now the 18th and my breast are so sore, and have been for about 4 days now, I have to sleep with a bra on for support. I wear a size 40DD so when I don't have...

Lower abdominal pain and back pain [ 1 Answers ]

Constant pain in lower abdomen. Bleeding since birth of second child in July

Excruciating Foot Pain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi-I'm new to this site, but have found it very interesting. I am having excruciating foot pain when walking, its like on the top of my foot, and is like a knife stabbing top of foot, and pain shoots toward big toe, it has hurt almost to the point of tears a couple of times. Any suggestions on...

View more questions Search