Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Dec 14, 2008, 03:39 PM
    If I was the one affected, yes if I thought that it would make me feel better. As the parent, I wouldn't try and influence them either way. My oldest child had a terrible first experience with his first-second grade teacher, she admitted to me in a parent-teacher interview once that she hated being in the same room as him! I felt like I'd been punched in the guts but not once did I ever put her down in front of my son. Eventually we removed him and changed schools. I felt kind of sorry for the school in the end because it proved that they had failed as a whole to provide the necessary strategies to help him succeed. The school he is at now bends over backwards to find what works for them and him. (Turns out there's a good chance he has Aspergers).
    I get the impression your son is very level headed and I'm sure he won't be sorry for writing to her if he remains civil about the whole thing. It sounds like he already has an idea of what he wants to say and nothing about it seems wrong to me. I would only wonder what his objective is. To make him feel better or to make her feel worse? I guess the question is do you have any idea of how to contact her or do you need to become a private investigator to find out? May not be worth all the hassle.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Dec 15, 2008, 11:28 AM

To answer some of the questions posted. We talked about it some more this weekend and my son has indicated that he has a desire to write her because he doesn't want anyone else to go through what he went through, but mainly because now that he is older and realizes how fragile little kids can be he wants her to know what she did was so inappropriate and lastly that what ever it was that she was trying to do she didn't accomplish because he is still strong and still happy and loves learning. She still teaches at the school so finding her wouldn't be an issue at all. Last we are in the states... way up north, MN
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 11:52 AM

You know,this is a very similar teacher/student situation I had during grade school,I am very impressed he wants to do this and even if the teacher doesn't respond,he has a chance to be free of the negativity this teacher has left in his mind.

Maybe the teacher will respond and try to defend her position,maybe she won't even remember him,who knows.

I wish him(and her) all the best.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Dec 15, 2008, 12:59 PM

KBC thank you for your kind words. I am really leaning toward letting him write it. He said if I don't write it I will go up to the school and talk to her and I think that would be to confrontational, he's now 5 ft 11 190 lbs and I think the message wouldn't have the same affect if done in person. She may take that as threatening. Can I ask you... Did your experience have an effect on your love of learning or trusting teachers?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 04:35 PM

For me,yes.

I dropped out of school after many years of struggling with authority.with an IQ at 123 I still didn't like the teachers/deans/principals.. etc

I am not a person who regrets leaving school early,it has been a huge rewarding life,even without the 'degree/diploma'(except I need spell check like you wouldn't believe... lol)

Otherwise,I still think the letter is wise,not the direct person to person,as you said, that would put the teacher on the defensive.

Levity in the letter helps to take any sharp edges down,and the message is received better.(Actually, any way he writes it is going to be good,it's the effort,not the message)

It's his side of the street he is going to clean up,he isn't responsible for how the teacher reacts,that's up to her.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2008, 05:13 PM

I had a simliar problem with one of my daughter teacher. The reasons behind my daughter teacher not liking her was race. My daughter attented a private school and there was only a handful of blacks in her school. However, the school was quick to react to our concerns because the teacher behavior was uncalled for especially all the money that was put out for this school, it wasn't cheap.

In the end, my daughter learned a valuable lesson that I didn't expect her to learn so early in life but in a way I am glad she did. I am surprise I wrote that last sentence because when she was going through that I didn't feel that way and at times I wanted to just knock the teacher out because I thought a teacher should act like an adult and not a teacher.

It's funny because I wanted to knock her out but someone else actually did a year later for other reasons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I become a teacher? [ 17 Answers ]

I am 15 years old and I want to do so many things in life but now I'm thinking, maybe I should be a teacher? I love kids a lot, and working with them but here's the thing. I want to have a job , that I will enjoy. My questions are: How many years of college do you need to become a...

Bullying and harassment [ 3 Answers ]

I apolgize for any mis spelled words or typos. My 14 yr old son has been harassed and bullyied every day all day at school since the beginning of the school year.THis is done in front of teachers. Sometimes the kids are yelled at and sometimes they are not. My son will yell at the kids to stop and...

How to deal with bullying, intimidation tactics from a former landlord? [ 11 Answers ]

I lived with 2 other girls in an apt, and we had encountered many issues with our landlord. He was incredibly intimidating and once even came into our apt without notice. He did not repaint the apt for us when we moved in, so we had painted it ourselves. Some of the colours were quite bold - a pink...

Internet bullying [ 15 Answers ]

I belong to a dating site and have belonged to it for 2 years now.. I have had a great time there and made some friends.. A woman joined a few months back who doesn't like me and 3 other women on the site. She has become very abusive to us in the chat room to the point of being banned only to...

View more questions Search